No Reduction in Autism Symptoms With Music Therapy

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 12:32 pm

No Reduction in Autism Symptoms With Music Therapy
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20170809/Music-therapy-does-not-improve-autism-symptoms-in-children-say-researchers.aspx
http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2647867

I mean, people prefer to spend money on all these "therapies," instead of drawing pictures for their children.

That has been our approach to autism in these 74 years: to come up with another "single-bit machine," package it, and then sell, sell, sell. And then researchers conduct studies, write up papers, and prove those approaches don't work. Repeat the loop, ad nauseaum.

That's not science. That's animal behavior. That's animal-level intelligence. Physicists stopped doing that a long while ago. Unfortunately, in social sciences, people haven't really evolved, yet. Modern scientific theories don't start with evidences: they start with clues. And then, from observations of symmetry/analogy, a coherent model is build. And from there, you make predictions. It's a model-based approach. Models allows you to reach territories unexplored by empirical observations. Models allow you to propose experiments, check on things that no one has checked before. Models allow you to make decisions ahead of time. Models by nature are designed on paper, via visual-manual communication. It's a higher level of thought process. You can't explain models by talking, just like you can't explain to someone about dyadic numbers and why 1+2+4+8+... = -1 by simply talking. Unfortunately, people still think that they can approach autism by talking. Whenever I see a book on autism that doesn't come with pictures/charts, I don't bother to read it. It's the 21st century. It's time to evolve away from single-bit machines.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:42 pm

Yeah, but is the goal to completely rid the child of autism symptoms?

I think music therapy is beneficial to kids with autism because it provides them with a way to destress and calm down. In my personal experience, being bombarded by all sorts of sensory input all the time makes me really stressed and tense, like I can't take a step outside of my house without feeling completely overloaded. I enjoy going to places, but the sensory input is really overwhelming for me. Music has been a great way to let go of that stress. Music is calm, predictable, and repetitive- all things which autistic people crave. I especially love listening to the same song over and over because it doesn't push me to the point of overload and I always know what is coming next. Sure, it may not make me less autistic or make me exhibit less symptoms, but music is more therapeutic on the inside than the outside, at least for me. If a parent can find a cheap music therapy for their autistic child, then I say go for it. I don't advocate on spending millions of dollars on this type of thing, but imagine if it could help that kid be a little less stressed and overwhelmed. We have to think of what autistic people will benefit from, not just stopping their instincts and "weird" behaviors.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

traven
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 3:48 am

the main thing is simple, people like to outsource as a mean to outsource responsability (unconciously)
to medicinmen, cults, doctors, stars and biotech, by any mean necessairy

transforming from liverreadings, philosophersstones, algacadabra and rareearth-energytransmitters,
why are we still in the darkages of metal cutting off bodyparts (in visual/popular culture)

enhanced selfglorifying selfmutilation
doesn't that look good
civilisation with the scalpel for fortunetelling