Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 4:34 pm

Are you disorganised/messy/untidy?Were you as a child? I have great difficulty keeping my flat clean and tidy. Thinking about trying to deal with it makes me feel anxious and overwhelmed.

School reports noted my disorganisation and untidiness .

A lot of the problem is knowing where to start and how to proceed from there. I have a real problem with multi step tasks.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 4:58 pm

Why do you think I post so often here :lol:

The one and only reason is that I try to tidy and clean my tiny tiny apartment, but instead of doing so I'm on wrong planet all the time. I wanted to meet my bf tonight but I still haven't swept the floor. I feel bad because I'm sitting in front of the computer instead of doing something useful.

Execute functioning disorder...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 4:59 pm

Didn't used to be except for one corner of my room as a child and later of my place as an adult.
Then several neurological, endocrine, and musculoskeletal diseases hit and as a result disorganization was forcibly increased.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 5:02 pm

I do everything:
-I throw clothes, magazines and grocery bags on the floor.
-I have cups everywhere, sometimes even with mold in it.
-I eat food in my bed or sitting at my desk. I'm quite clumsy so you can imagine what that means...
-I love to cook, but I don't like to clean after cooking
-Everything is full of small crumbs.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:05 pm

I'm sort of all those things.

But I need space, so I can never get worse.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 5:08 pm

Quote:
A lot of the problem is knowing where to start and how to proceed from there. I have a real problem with multi step tasks.

I am currently in the phase where I want to make everything as easy for me as possible. So I bought some boxes and put really precise labels on these boxes listing what items to put there. This has already helped a lot, because it reduces my anxiety stemming from the question "Omg where should I put this? I feel helpless". But this was only the first step.
Second step is to organize my wardrobe, again I need boxes with labels on it. Now I throw everything in the wardrobe, which means it takes hours to find something in it. With labeled boxes it will be easier.

Also I bought a dishwasher even if it doesn't fit in my tiny kitchen (it's in the main room instead, I'm still waiting for my cupboard). That has also helped me a lot.

I have very little space (apartment rents are very high here) :/

North1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2017, 5:16 pm

I used to be. Now I clean on a regular basis. I think it's good to try and get into a routine with these things.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 5:16 pm

North1 wrote:
I used to be. Now I clean on a regular basis. I think it's good to try and get into a routine with these things.

I don't have any routines :( I even struggle with brushing my teeth.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 5:21 pm

Yes right now I am all three

When I was young I was not as disorganized, messy or untidy as now

North1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2017, 5:27 pm

anti_gone wrote:
North1 wrote:

I can be challenging getting into a routine at times. Maybe you could try setting alarms, reminders, writing a daily/weekly planner etc? I do my cleaning on a Friday.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2017, 5:31 pm

North1 wrote:
anti_gone wrote:
North1 wrote:

I can be challenging getting into a routine at times. Maybe you could try setting alarms, reminders, writing a daily/weekly planner etc? I do my cleaning on a Friday.

I ignored every alarm I've ever set in my phone (except from really important things like waking up for a job interview) :/ Usually it's like: Ok, I know I have to do that, but I can do that later/tomorrow/next week.

I was always messy and disorganized. My parents and my bf are, too.

Also, what if I'm doing something else e.g. on a Friday like meeting friends in a beer garden? I cannot execute the task then, because I'm somewhere else. This would feel like failing and would make me uneasy.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 6:40 pm

I have a saying, the more tidy my room is- the more chaotic my brain. :D

You see, I tend to tidy when there's something wrong- for instance when I am procrastinating, bored or stressed. It's my way of taking my mind off things even when at times I would have been better off facing them.

It's weird because I used to be such a tidy person at one point, but then I hit 12 and I just suddenly gave up caring. *Shrugs*

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 6:48 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Are you disorganised/messy/untidy?Were you as a child? .

As a child and now, except for a few things in my life , I look after my precious items and arrange them in a pleasing fashion. I don't like to damage anything but I love the used , worn in look ( generally damaged ) - I'm a walking contradiction :roll:
I've never felt anxious about tidying but I do have can't be arsed attitude about it. However, if I know guest are coming it can take a whole day tidying ( sometimes 2 ) to try and trick people into thinking I'm a tidy person

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:09 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Are you disorganised/messy/untidy?Were you as a child?

I grew up in a very messy house. Mess always seems home-like to me, though it did magnify my executive function challenges. When I moved away from my parents' house for college I discovered how easy it is to remember keys and pens and homework, when you only have so many things around. I love the feeling of clean sheets and fresh folded cotton shirts. Now, as an adult, I take great pleasure in having not so many things, but caring for my things well.

I also really like keeping a clean floor, because I like laying around on the floor, and not wearing my shoes in the house, something I was told not to do as a kid.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:10 pm

Extremely O_O

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:38 pm

I try to be organized as I get very overwhelmed when there are to many things around me. Most of the time I am pretty clean, but sometimes I can't keep up with being tidy anymore.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine