Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 2:23 pm

When I retire, I'm going to make sure I don't have too much stuff.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2017, 5:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
When I retire, I'm going to make sure I don't have too much stuff.

I already strive to have the minimum amount of possessions. I don't really decorate my house. Basic Furniture, a few plants that get watered every Saturday. No kitsch. I have a few collections of things like rocks but I don't count those as clutter. Less to lose and less to take care of. I find it lot less stressful.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 5:33 pm

I am "retired" and thinning the collection is a big job. When I moved cities in '69, I had one half-full suitcase, including the tools for a craft business. When I left less than 3 years later, I had two big garage sales for the things that I'd acquired for almost nothing, while selling everything I'd paid retail for to my apprentice. I got out of town with 14 pieces of luggage on a train that still allowed 16, intended for pioneers going the other way. :-)
I had a few years of simplicity, including a 2 month bicycle tour, but then began acquiring tools again, and they still force me to house them in more space than I live in, and are a huge organizational challenge. Having to live cheaper than a city-dweller, I also have to maintain a large stock of scrap material to make most things from, without a day of travel and shopping.
I'm getting better at managing it, and am even thinning it a bit, but there's a long way to go. However, I'm also working on a very tiny travel rig that will require strict organization of an elegant little set of objects. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Pinkbearsothereyeball
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2018, 5:34 am

I'm glad I found this thread.

My husband has a diagnosis of ASD, I don't, but I have my suspicions.

Whilst I appreciate that you get a variety of different people on the AS my husband seems to think that because I am not like him I can't be on the spectrum.

He is very tidy and you can set your watch by his habits. Mess upsets him.

I, well I really don't think it is that messy until it is pointed out to me. It's like I have anti-mess goggles on.

I know where everything is and it disturbs me when things are tidied up. As has been said I find the thought of organising the house overwhelming.

I can organise things and have no problem with other multi-step tasks. I have a 4-course meal to prepare for Saturday. I think someone else mentioned the fact they enjoy cooking but hate clearing up - ditto.

The world around me has always been a mess, in the past my husband has asked how I can study in what he describes as chaos. However, it isn't chaos to me and in whatever oasis of mess I'm in I can always organise my thoughts. I'm good at that for someone who has been chucking antiseizure meds down their throat for 40 years or so. :D

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:26 am

My mother's workshop was a darkroom, so she had to keep it tidy. Dad's shop was usually chaos, but he was more productive. Your husband probably remembers everything associated with "its place." I remember where I saw it last, and if a corner of it is still visible, that helps a lot. If it is put away, I won't know if it is filed by size, material, colour, or function. I'm learning to keep my tools dispersed, with "homes" where they are most used, rather than with all the others. When I moved to the country I shopped for a small flashlight for years before re-discovering the right kind filed with "camping gear." There's less risk of forgetting I have something if I see it from time to time. Keeping the memory refreshed helps with the research, too. Breakthroughs great and small often involve a novel juxtaposition.

One biologist camped out for the summer to study a critter, and had all his stuff on one table. So, his balance was handy to his toiletries, and, out of very idle curiosity, he weighed the whiskers dumped from his mechanical shaver each morning. He discovered that his beard grew twice as fast after his weekly trip to town, when he came into casual contact with women.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2018, 7:26 pm

No, not disorganised, but my family and I do have a lot of things, mainly because there's lots of space to store things. I guess that's what happens when you live out in the country? We've got two barns, each the size of a two-story house, full of spare parts, tools, nuts, bolts, nails, etc, a large roofed-over area full of lumber, a woodshed full of heating wood, I have a personal sailboat (containing things that can come in handy on a boat, duh!) and not to mention a few things stored scattered around the property (gravel, logs, etc). I hope I never have to move, as to move everything on the property would take at least three semi-trailers or a massive amount of selling, neither of which would be much fun.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:43 pm

I have like three pairs of shoes and I don't know where any of them are.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2018, 10:52 pm

As a guy living with HF ASD, I am very organised and tidy. Even as a kid I was just the same.
I do believe I have learnt to be organised and tidy because I spend so much time out of the public eye.
I would go darn crazy if I had nothing to do, so I clean, cook and organise.
A clean home is a happy home.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:31 pm

Life might have been different if somebody had explained organization to me. I was over 40 before I heard someone mention that they had a list of their file folders. That might have made mine easy enough to use to start a habit. Instead, I chastised myself for inefficiency whenever I had to retrieve something from storage soon after it was put away.
A really tidy place bothers me - it looks dangerous to do anything there.
I knew a sea captain who was afraid to put a magazine down when "at home" with his wife.
I know a guy whose research was derailed when his wife moved a pile of papers - it upset his whole memory process.

"By the time everyone has a well-planned workspace, you can be pretty sure that an organization has stopped growing."

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2018, 11:37 pm

I am a bit of an oxymoron I suppose. My organization is disguised as a terrible mess but I have literally had a meltdown once when my dad messed up my ‘strategic organization’. All my ‘messes’ are actually organized. So I am messy, by being organized...

:D

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:48 am

Same as Dear_one, I'm pretty messy, but I'm not disorganized. I know where everything is, and if anyone tries to clean up, I am just completely lost. Sometimes I will search the whole house looking for something (we have lots of moving boxes that never got unpacked), and I'll always find at least five other things that I wasn't even looking for.

Dear_one wrote:
...I also have to maintain a large stock of scrap material to make most things from, without a day of travel and shopping.

I think that's where most of my mess comes from. I have so many broken electronics, and computer parts, and random unitask tools laying around, because I never know when they'll come in handy. And they usually do at some point.

I do need to clean up my "sticky notes" mess though. I have so many that I write notes on while I'm at work, and I crumple them up, and sometimes I remember to pull them out of my pocket, uncrumple them, and follow through. Some of them are just shopping lists, or "remember to do this", so I wouldn't care if those got thrown away, but a lot of them are song lyrics. They're all just littering my computer desk.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2018, 1:47 pm

I'm very organised at work and very disorganised at home.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:03 pm

Sandpiper wrote:
I'm very organised at work and very disorganised at home.

Same here. I always clean up and put my things away at the end of every day (especially since I don't want other people using my things), and then I have to pick up after first shift when I get there the next day =| You'd think eventually they would get the hint.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:11 pm

A moderately messy workplace is often faster for a single worker, but usually slower for two.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:14 pm

Not usually messy or untidy.
Usually organized, even if it looks like a tornado happened in the room, I know exactly where everything is at.
Kitchen is usually kept very neat. Desk usually starts out very clear and slowly gets crammed with everything that manages to find a place to rest on it for about six months or so until I reorganize it. Workshop is a good mix of insanely organized and maybe an explosion happened here recently.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:21 pm

In metalwork, half the stuff has to be super clean, and the rest makes flying grit. We learn to keep many small zones of order within general chaos.