Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Perplexing
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2017, 8:24 pm

I was just wondering, has anyone here been to therapy for Aspergers/ASD reasons (particularly those involving social interaction/skills)? Did it work? Please feel free to share your experience and or your opinions on the matter.

-Nikola Tesla

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:29 pm

I was in regular psychotherapy when I was 15, in the 1970s. What are now called "social skills" was covered. It benefited me.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:30 pm

I'm in therapy now partially for OCD and partially autism/my social skills. It's a lot better than the therapy I had 1.5 years ago, in my opinion. I am now going to someone who specializes in ASD, so I think that's why I am making more progress with my current psychologist. The last psychologist I went to was a total quack who knew little, if any, about ASD and OCD, so I can definitely say that my current psychologist is better :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2017, 6:42 pm

I have been in therapy "peeling my onion" for about 7 years now. The last year has been working with the Phycologist that did my diagnosis. One of the recommendations was to see another Phycologist for social skills...I figured I'd give a try...it went something like this .....

First week- talked about goals for therapy. Told him I was not interested in learning to be NT

2nd week- talked about my rigidity, the way I misinterpret facial expressions, my focus on micro details, all or nothing way of thinking, and meeting in the middle of two extremes

3rd week- talked about current events, learning topical sports knowledge and was given the homework of trying to talk with some of the parents at a birthday party my so was invited to.

4th week- told him I saw no point in learning trivial things to make small talk with people that had nothing else to offer

5th week- talked about the fact that not socializing the way others do is a choice. Felt at this time, there was nothing else to gain from this process.

6th week- kept the appointment, discussed how I had hoped this process would be more fruitful. I felt like his approach was doing myself and others a disservice. (I always think that there is a better way to do something than the way it is being done, and I don't understand why others don't do it the better way...this is one of my biggest issues with people I come into contact with in the world) and that was my last appointment.

Not to say the process social skills therapy process is a waist, but maybe for me and having battled through life not knowing I am set in my ways. If we aren't talking about music, drums, guitar, Star Trek, ASD, or life experiences, I'm just not interested. Kind Regards Shark

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 3:14 pm

Not for anything AS-related, but I am currently seeing a shrink for my anxiety disorder.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:54 am

I have had occupational therapy most of my life. I wouldn't say worked is quite the right word, I would say it has helped.

Suemary
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2017, 11:24 am

Hi, I'm Suemary and this is my first post on this site. I live near London in the U.K. I was diagnosed by a clinical psychologist in March this year and have been seeing her about every 3 weeks since. We're mainly looking at executive function stuff such as planning, organising and problem solving. She's given me some useful charts to help with this. She's also been supporting me through a work related issue in which I have been the victim of injustice. I think I'll see her a few more times. I think I need to do some work on cognitive distortions, anything really that helps me to manage high stress levels! It's good to find someone skilled in working with women on the spectrum.