Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:37 am

Note: This is NOT implying anything, I'm just curious.

Lately I've seen a few rules being broken, like personal attacks, in some threads and usually those sorts of threads end up getting locked if attacks and bickering persists. But lately the threads don't get locked, just a warning from the mods in the actual thread or a few bad posts get deleted.

Is it a new thing to not lock threads so much? I was just wondering. (And don't be ironic by locking this thread :lol: ).

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:46 am

it has become apparent that outright locking threads is not always an efficient solution for instances of a select few users/posts attacking and being rude in an otherwise good and civil thread.

it's just more fair all around in that case.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 5:08 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
it has become apparent that outright locking threads is not always an efficient solution for instances of a select few users/posts attacking and being rude in an otherwise good and civil thread.

Reasonable I suppose.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:13 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:

I agree with that conclusion. I think it kind of stifles debate if a thread is assumed to be going downhill early on, and so is locked. That was what I used to see happening, and not now, which is good.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:54 am

Noticed a recent thread sink to two folks trading insults (and it looked like it would locked any second),but the thread continued with out even a warning, and righted itself more or less away from the ad hom attacks on its own. So maybe not locking that particular thread worked.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:08 pm

Yeah, I think the moderation's current approach with threads is a lot better than it used to be.

An entire discussion should not have to suffer because of something that could be treated as an isolated incident e.g. only 1 or 2 people causing problems in the thread. When almost everyone is at each others' throats, though, it may become necessary mind you.

Another thing was threads used to get locked merely for triggering when the people discussing in the thread were behaved, yet someone comes into the thread, takes offence to something in it then causes problems/aims to get the thread locked or "shut down" because they're triggered and feel this makes it justifiable. The current approach is again more constructive from what I've observed

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 8:18 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

I AGREE!! I've been saying, all-along, that when a thread gets locked, it's like punishing, everyone, in the thread.

naturalplastic wrote:
Noticed a recent thread sink to two folks trading insults (and it looked like it would locked any second),but the thread continued with out even a warning, and righted itself more or less away from the ad hom attacks on its own. So maybe not locking that particular thread worked.

Yep, I've seen a few people really put-in an effort, to change a thread, around----so that it wouldn't get locked (I imagine), and I think that's EXCELLENT!!

TheSpectrum wrote:
Another thing was threads used to get locked merely for triggering when the people discussing in the thread were behaved, yet someone comes into the thread, takes offence to something in it then causes problems/aims to get the thread locked or "shut down" because they're triggered and feel this makes it justifiable. The current approach is again more constructive from what I've observed.

Yep----like that user, "ImAnSJWwithAnAnnoyinglyLongName", running, every five minutes, to the "Attention Mods" thread.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 5:38 pm

I do miss threads getting locked, in a way. It put an end to some annoying threads that I kept seeing bumped on to the first page every week. Also I would often like to see what went wrong in a thread when I saw a locked one. :lol:

But, on the other hand, I do understand the reason for not locking threads. I always used to be afraid of my own threads getting locked, because it would feel like some sort of punishment.