Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:29 pm

Leeds_Demon wrote:
Nearly every post I've read on this forum, as well as most articles about Asperger's list quirks/traits that Aspies are supposed, so I thought I would write a list that listed traits that every Aspie should have and if you don't, then maybe you're no Autistic.

To be considered an Aspie, you must:

1. Possess a special skill/talent, (I don't);
2. Lack empathy, in the same way a robot lacks empathy;
3. Have meltdowns immediately after having a sensory overload, (I don't, although I do have taste/smell overlods);
4. Be unable to recognise the facial expressions of other people, (I can);
5. Be unable to recognise if a person is sad/angry/happy, just by the tone of their voice, (I can do this);
6. Be a systemiser, (systems are of no interest to me. My CD collection is no particular order. I don't have a system
for cleaning my home - which is untidy);
7. Be interested in categories of things - linked to the idea of systemisation;
8. Be hypermobile, (I'm not);
9. Have walked on tiptoes, as a child;
10. Have no understanding of idioms, (I understand idioms);
11. Have 'odd' voices, (pitch, tone, etc. I sometimes loudly and quickly, sometimes, when talking to myself, or my
cats, my voice is normal);

Given that I don't meet the above criteria, I guess I don't have Asperger's & that I must have over-exaggerated/lied at my assessment. All the academic papers/articles/forum posts make me think that if you don't have certain characteristics/quirks, then how can you say that you're an Aspie.

1. I have special interests, but they're not anything useful. I have no special skills or talents, unless memorizing the entire Pokedex counts.
2. I don't lack empathy - in fact, I seem to have more empathy than many neurotypicals. I just don't always know how to show it.
3. I tend to have shutdowns instead of meltdowns, and can often hold off a meltdown until I can get away from people.
4. I can recognize most facial expressions, though I have some trouble with small changes.
5. Same as with facial expressions - usually I can tell, but I don't always catch it if it's subtle.
6. I'm more of a systemiser than an empathiser, according to online tests, but I don't score that highly on either.
7. I'm not really sure what that means.
8. I'm flexible, but not hypermobile. My left thumb is double-jointed, but that's it.
9. I have never walked on tiptoes any more than the average person - only when the ground is very hot/cold and I'm barefoot, or if I'm trying to avoid stepping on something like broken glass or dog droppings.
10. I understand most idioms, but may not get ones that I haven't heard before.
11. I actually do have this one. Usually my voice is too quiet, and there's definitely something "odd" about it, but I'm not sure exactly what.
Also, I'm terrible at math (I probably have dyscalculia) and am not good with technology (don't really know how to do anything more than play games and browse the Internet on a computer, know nothing about how it works).

And yet I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome when I was in fourth grade, before I'd ever even heard the word "Asperger's" or "autism." There are some things that are part of the diagnostic criteria, of course, but a lot of things mentioned are only things that are more common among people with Asperger's, not that are absolutely necessary to actually have it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2017, 12:40 pm

Barchan wrote:
I'd like to point out that most of the stereotypical traits for asperger's are really just stereotypical traits for boys with asperger's, since Hans Asperger only worked with boys. Hooray for bad research bias!

Totally. In fairness to Hans in was the 30' and 40's and there was still work to do. But comapred to Kanner aspergers was really progressive. Don't forget at this autism ws only though to affect educated middle class white familes.

BBC: Radio 4

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:43 pm

To be considered an Aspie, you must:

1. Possess a special skill/talent; not really, but I have an above average ability at replicating melodies
2. Lack empathy, in the same way a robot lacks empathy; I do feel empathy. I just don't always know to express it. I also don't know if I feel it average or below average, but I'm definitely not one of those super-empaths.
3. Have meltdowns immediately after having a sensory overload; No, unless something else pushes me over the edge. Otherwise, I just shut down
4. Be unable to recognise the facial expressions of other people; I can recognise obvious expressions, but not really sublter ones
5. Be unable to recognise if a person is sad/angry/happy, just by the tone of their voice; I can do this but have some difficulty at times
6. Be a systemiser; I'm highly disorganised
7. Be interested in categories of things - linked to the idea of systemisation; No
8. Be hypermobile; I am hypermobile, but don't know if that's AS related
9. Have walked on tiptoes, as a child; nope, my hypermobile ankles usually end up giving out
10. Have no understanding of idioms; I do understand idioms once I look up the meaning
11. Have 'odd' voices; I've always wondered what was wrong with my voice when I heard it on recordings

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:48 pm

"Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts"
"Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities,"

You got to have them starting very early in life. For Aspergers-Autism, you need to have average to above average intelligence and no language delay prior to age 3.

Those checklists are just how these core traits COMMONLY present. They will present if at all based on personality. As said these checklists are based on the presentation in boys. If you are female or an adult you are less likely to have these common presentations of the core traits.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 11:30 am

Your vanity is more important than the happiness of your children.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 11:38 am

I'm thinking what it all comes down to is,
" You Can't Be an Aspie If....."
"... You don't match my stereotype of an Aspie."

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:07 pm

Oh, I have a good one! You can't be an Aspie if you like children/babies :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:09 pm

I like children and babies....

But, then again, I am not truly an Aspie LOL

In all seriousness, I believe the proportion of Aspies who like children and babies are about the same as "neurotypical" people.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I like children and babies....

But, then again, I am not truly an Aspie LOL

In all seriousness, I believe the proportion of Aspies who like children and babies are about the same as "neurotypical" people.

I know- it just seems like a lot of people on this forum don't like children. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I have yet to find an Aspie here who can put up with children (except for you- but you say you're more like a half aspie LOL!) I wish I could change the title of this thread :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:15 pm

I'm actually a classical autistic LOL.

I have many Aspies characteristics---but I talked late, so I can't be an Aspie.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:22 pm

I just call it whatever lol :D ! If a classic autist refers to themself as an aspie or an "aspie" refers to themselves as autistic, then I don't care because the DSM-5 has scrapped all these terms anyway.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:24 pm

I play it safe. I refer to myself as a Spectrumite usually :D

And Asperger's is not "dead" yet; it's still in the ICD-10, which is sometimes used in the United States. They might take it away in the ICD-11, though.

My opinion: "Asperger's Syndrome" is a legit condition.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:29 pm

I like it being all one condition- I know you don't lol :D l!

I think it helps people feel more "included." Just because you were diagnosed with autism or Asperger's doesn't mean that the other disorder (autism or Asperger's) is a completely different condition. It just seems the same to me. Especially HFA and Asperger's- sure, one has a speech delay and one doesn't, but does that mean we need two separate labels?

I also really like the DSM-5 criteria (I think it is the best for diagnosing autistic people with autism and non-autistic people without autism). The inclusion of sensory issues was my favorite change.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:34 pm

I believe in inclusion, too.

You misinterpreted me :D

Remember when I said I WASN'T an Aspie?

I believe Asperger's Syndrome is a type of autism. So is Classical Autism. So is Regressive Autism. They're all autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:36 pm

One is not "better" than the other.

It's like Spina Bifida. There are many forms of it. Symptoms vary greatly. But they are all Spina Bifida.

Asperger's is autism. It's not separate from it.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:46 pm

I knew I would make you "fired up" by posting that :D . That's just my opinion.

Of course it's all one condition- I meant the term autism spectrum disorder being used instead of all the other names lol! No form of autism is "better" than the other either, I agree. They're all autism!