Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:36 pm

One is not "better" than the other.

It's like Spina Bifida. There are many forms of it. Symptoms vary greatly. But they are all Spina Bifida.

Asperger's is autism. It's not separate from it.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:46 pm

I knew I would make you "fired up" by posting that :D . That's just my opinion.

Of course it's all one condition- I meant the term autism spectrum disorder being used instead of all the other names lol! No form of autism is "better" than the other either, I agree. They're all autism!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:47 pm

Leeds_Demon wrote:
Nearly every post I've read on this forum, as well as most articles about Asperger's list quirks/traits that Aspies are supposed, so I thought I would write a list that listed traits that every Aspie should have and if you don't, then maybe you're no Autistic.

To be considered an Aspie, you must:

1. Possess a special skill/talent, (I don't);
2. Lack empathy, in the same way a robot lacks empathy;
3. Have meltdowns immediately after having a sensory overload, (I don't, although I do have taste/smell overlods);
4. Be unable to recognise the facial expressions of other people, (I can);
5. Be unable to recognise if a person is sad/angry/happy, just by the tone of their voice, (I can do this);
6. Be a systemiser, (systems are of no interest to me. My CD collection is no particular order. I don't have a system
for cleaning my home - which is untidy);
7. Be interested in categories of things - linked to the idea of systemisation;
8. Be hypermobile, (I'm not);
9. Have walked on tiptoes, as a child;
10. Have no understanding of idioms, (I understand idioms);
11. Have 'odd' voices, (pitch, tone, etc. I sometimes loudly and quickly, sometimes, when talking to myself, or my
cats, my voice is normal);

Given that I don't meet the above criteria, I guess I don't have Asperger's & that I must have over-exaggerated/lied at my assessment. All the academic papers/articles/forum posts make me think that if you don't have certain characteristics/quirks, then how can you say that you're an Aspie.

Is this thread supposed to be sarcasm and mock ignorance about autism?

To not be autistic you must have the following things below:

Read between the lines and not take words at face value

Be mean to autistic people about their autism and be annoyed with their autism

Use idioms and humor

Suck at math and not be very logical or anylitical

Must not have routines and don't need a routine to function

Lack above normal hearing

Did pretend play as a child and had friends and desired friends and played with other kids

Interacted with adults when you were a kid

Not be very gifted and must not have any savant skills

Not have a photographic memory

Love new things

Like to travel

Can talk on the phone

Plays sports

Does not memorize things like game stats or bar codes

Doesn't talk about their special interests

Got married

Went to college

Have kids

Went to mainstream and didn't go to special ed and didn't have an aide

Have a job and held down one for years

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:51 pm

I see....wanted to light a fire under me, huh Stampy? LOL :wink:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:01 pm

I thought this was one of those joke threads

You Can't Be an Aspie If..... You didn't reach 1000 posts in a very quick time

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I see....wanted to light a fire under me, huh Stampy? LOL :wink:

No way! I was just sharing my opinion, but as I wrote it I was thinking, "Oh no, he's going to have a go at me for saying Asperger's and Autism should be combined lol!" :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:05 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I thought this was one of those joke threads

You Can't Be an Aspie If..... You didn't reach 1000 posts in a very quick time

And guess who's catching up to your post count :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:10 pm

You know I was kidding, Stampy...you know that! LOL :jester:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I rarely get jokes lol! The only thing that gave it away was the winky smiley face at the end of your post. I love those things...... :D

Guess what? Ferris isn't psychotic! I'm honestly a bit teary eyed (I don't cry that often) because that means there might be hope for me as well!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:24 pm

I definitely think there's hope for you, Stampy :D

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:32 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I rarely get jokes lol! The only thing that gave it away was the winky smiley face at the end of your post. I love those things...... :D

Guess what? Ferris isn't psychotic! I'm honestly a bit teary eyed (I don't cry that often) because that means there might be hope for me as well!

Of course there's hope for you , you are getting the right therapy 32 years before I did , that's a hell of a head start in my book:D

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:51 pm

Thank you both! It's almost like part of me has hope that I won't end up "going that way" one day, but the other part of me feels like I'm doomed. I'm going to see my psychologist tomorrow, so I'm definitely going to mention everything that's been going on lately. Any flicker of hope makes that part of me that believes I'm doomed shut up for a little while :D .

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 6:04 pm

1. Possess a special skill/talent
I'm not exceptionally "better than most people" in anything, just around average

2. Lack empathy, in the same way a robot lacks empathy;
I'm nowhere near. I'm too emotionally involved with everything and it sometimes gets me down.

3. Have meltdowns immediately after having a sensory overload;
I don't even know if I have sensory overloads.

4. Be unable to recognise the facial expressions of other people
I can, easily.

5. Be unable to recognise if a person is sad/angry/happy, just by the tone of their voice
I can, easily. And it affects my mood, too.

6. Be a systemiser;
I don't obsessively organise my possessions...if that what "systemiser" means.

7. Be interested in categories of things - linked to the idea of systemisation;
I don't know what that means, but I don't think I am this.

8. Be hypermobile
I'm just average, but I know NTs who are hypermobile.

9. Have walked on tiptoes, as a child;
Only if I have bare feet on a cold floor, otherwise no.

10. Have no understanding of idioms
I understand idioms.

11. Have 'odd' voices
I do tend to mumble but my dad does too and he's NT

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 6:22 pm

Actually I might do a sarcastic theory of being NT too, just like one of the other posters here did.. :lol:

To be NT you must...

Be only interested in sports if you're a man and fashion if you're a woman

Have zero knowledge or interest in anything to do with science

Hate any routine

Always focus on people and never objects or scenary

Dislike cats

Have moved out of parents home by age 18

Have a job by age 18

Have a boy/girlfriend by age 14

Not have addictions to anything, not even smoking

Never played with Legos or any other construction toys as a child

Never played alone as a child

Never had any interests as a child

Learned to talk clearly before age 2

Stopped playing at age 10

Not know jack about computers

Not get hay fever or any other allergies

Not be naive or innocent as a child, ie never believing in Santa

Know all jokes and idioms by an early age, without having to take them literally in order to learn them

Be a compulsive liar

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Aug 2017, 6:31 pm

All of that uncertainty is the reason that I got my Dx at age 57 at a mental hospital. And I got them to give it to me in writing. I wanted to create a situation where I know for sure what's going on with me, so that I can travel on an appropriate path. Also to get rid of real life trolls, people who are not entitled to their opinion of me.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 7:07 pm

1. Possess a special skill/talent. Dunno where you're even getting that. The only skills I have, I learned through endless repetition, out of stubborn desire. Don't have a single natural talent in the world, unless you count the ability to mimic cartoon character's voices, which isn't likely to get a person into the history books.

2. Lack empathy, in the same way a robot lacks empathy
Oh, for gods' sakes, here we go again... "EMPATHY" IS NOT "SYMPATHY." It's not an emotion, it's not the ability to FEEL emotion - EMPATHY IS A SOCIAL SKILL, nothing more. Empathy is the ability to recognize emotions in others, identify what they are, and understand instinctively how to respond. It's knowing when to wink, as opposed to when to give a hug, or when to just smile and nod. If you see someone you care about crying, and you aren't sure what you should do, or can't bring yourself to do it - you lack empathy. It doesn't mean you don't care, it means you don't automatically express your feelings appropriately.

3. Have meltdowns immediately after having a sensory overload
Who ever said "immediately"? For that matter, who ever said "always"? A meltdown is simply an emotional collapse due to stress, it can sometimes come several minutes or even hours after a stressful event, or a series of stresses. It doesn't mean going berserk in the middle of a staff meeting. It may mean driving home first and spending the evening nursing a bottle of vodka, while curled under the furniture in a fetal position, sobbing. In children, it may happen more spontaneously, say, in the middle of WalMart, but for grownups, who have to protect our jobs, we have more self control because we have to.

5. Be unable to recognise if a person is sad/angry/happy, just by the tone of their voice
Yeah, unless the people around you are all hammy movie actors, I'd be surprised if anybody can do this consistently. Even the most perceptive saint can't always know what's going on in other people's heads. In my experience, if there's something fairly obvious going on and I miss it, it's usually because I'm distracted with my own personal demons and I'm just not paying attention to what other people may be clearly signaling. It's a real problem in personal relationships, and makes others feel they're being ignored, usually because they are.

6. Be a systemiser
7. Be interested in categories of things - linked to the idea of systemisation

See also "Executive Function Deficiencies." When you suck at making a plan and sticking to it, it helps to sort of automatically categorize things and file them neatly in your head, so you remember them later. It doesn't make you any better at getting things done, but at least you have a place for everything, and everything's in it's place, just in case.

8. Be hypermobile
Again, where are you getting this? Autism does not have to appear wildly active - even many stims, are relatively docile in their appearance. Head banging and hand flapping may seem a bit frenetic, but I sway from side-to-side constantly, and can stand in one spot and do that all day long. I'm not running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, yet I'm hardly sitting still, either. And keep in mind, that even Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder has classifications like "Inattentive," in which the body may be quiet and at rest, while the brain silently jumps around like a spastic toad. We may look like we're paying attention, while our minds are on another planet, dancing and ordering sushi.

9. Have walked on tiptoes, as a child Just another stim behavior, not everybody does them all. Personally, a a kid, I NEVER "walked" on my toes or hand-flapped, though, as an adult, when standing in a que, I do tend to rock back and forth on the heels and balls of my feet, and flip my car keys back and forth in my hand. Go figure.

10. Have no understanding of idioms Again, this applies to autistic CHILDREN. Autism is a learning disability, not a learning INability. We may pick up on certain things a bit more slowly than other kids, but we're not utter morons. By the time you're an adolescent, you should have begun to figure certain things out.

11. Have 'odd' voices, (pitch, tone, etc.
First, as a broadcast professional, I assure you, you don't really know what you're voice sounds like to others. Second, even though my voice has been trained over many years, the way I speak to friends and relatives is very different to the way I speak to an audience (or a pet, for that matter), and in more relaxed settings, I often hear a choked nasal quality that is peculiar to my Dutch family DNA, that I would NEVER use when speaking professionally. Having been around other high functioning autistic people, I have also noted that they (and I) all tend to get LOUDER, as we get wound up in talking about a personal obsessive interest. It's entirely unconscious, and I'm usually unaware I'm doing it, until someone interrupts me in the middle of a spontaneous lecture. :oops:

Point being, you may have many quirks and characteristics of which you are personally completely unaware. Just because you don't immediately recognize yourself when you read the diagnostic criteria, doesn't necessarily mean they don't fit you (and some of them probably won't).

I remember very clearly the first time I read the phrase "May see lights and hear sounds that others do not" and I thought it meant hallucinations of some sort, which I'd never experienced in my life. A few days later, it struck me that I was interpreting the statement wrong - that they literally meant HEARING noises and SEEING actual lights, and what made me realize it, was suddenly remembering several instances in my past, in which I had, in fact, heard verifiable sounds, or noticed quite real lights (or objects) other people completely missed, simply because my brain was tuned to pick up details on a frequency most humans simply ignore. Not miraculous, or bizarre - just slightly different. But TRUE, nonetheless.