Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marine414
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2017, 9:28 am

I think i might have Autism and i say this because of some of the problems that i have. I can't multitask, i have really good hearing and hear sounds that other people don't hear, if i am doing one thing i will only focus on that one thing and forget about the other things, i have trouble processing information, my writing is horrible, i only like certain foods. I only wear jeans, i have a hard time reading peoples body language, I took this paid Autism self assessment test on line and scored very high on it. I have an appointment in October to get tested. I told my mom and she said that when i was in elementary school principal at the school which used to be her teacher when she went to school there was telling her that I had Autism but she wasn't trying to hear that. I'm 32 and just now found a girlfriend and she also has mental health issues. So do these things sound like symptoms of Autism to anyone hear.

Also school for me was hell, i was in a regular classroom but i should have been in special educations classes, I was also bullied constantly in school.

I work as a correctional officer at the local jail and they are talking about firing me because i continue to have the same problems with the the suff mentioned above. I haven't told them that i think i might have Autism and am getting tested for it in October. When I get off from work i am mentally exhausted.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2017, 10:33 am

It sounds like it.

You are doing the right thing going for an assessment. I never spoke to anyone who was not glad they did.

Being bullied at school on top of the other issues you have identified kind of puts the cap on it for me. Do you suffer from anxiety? The on-line tests are not perfect and they are not a diagnosis, but they are a fair indicator. You will of course, should you revieve a diagnosis, wake up the same person you were the next day, but you will at last have a reason why and have a better sense of self, who you really are.

BBC: Radio 4

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:39 am

School teacher assessments are good. See if your school district has any records. You might be able to get that in writing.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:46 am

Good luck with your assessment :D . I would recommend trying to find as much information about autism and your childhood as you can. Like Voxish said, online tests are not 100% reliable, but they are sometimes enough to warrant a suspected diagnosis. Hope it goes well for you!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 8:44 am

Being a corrections officer is hard on even the most resilient person.

Were you a Marine?

I'm not....but Semper Fi, nevertheless.

Do you live in an area that is economically dependent on the prison?

Marine414

21 Aug 2017, 1:23 pm

Hey kraftiekortie I went to bootcamp but got send home do medical reasons. Its is tuff and i struggle every day I'm there, do you think that i should tell my supervisor that the reason why I have been having so many problems is because i think i might have Autism and am getting tested for it in October, o feel like if i tell them that they will say im not fit for the job. I'm really not worried about losing that job other than the benefits and the pay i really hate that job.
I also work part time at a residential treatment facility for kids that have Autism and other behavior and emotional problems i have been there for 2 years and was an assisted supervisor on a unit for kids ages 6 to 12 before I took the correctional officers job which pays better but i really do like working with the kids and they really adore my and my boss really like me. I am really good at the job i think because i can relate to those kids and the environment is more to my speed. I regret that i took that job at the jail. I guess it true the grass is not always greener on the other side. I will be going back there full-time i just don't know weather to quit or let them fire me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 1:37 pm

If you can get full-time at the treatment center, just quit the jail if you feel they are trying to fire you.

You would only let them fire you if you want to get unemployment benefits.

Marine414

21 Aug 2017, 2:39 pm

Hey StampySquiddyFan thanks for the encouragement i really appreciate it :D.

Marine414

21 Aug 2017, 2:45 pm

Hey Voxish thanks for the response i do have a lot anxiety while at work at the jail, it's only one officer to 64 inmates and when I'm there i stimm a lot because the strest is so high.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 2:50 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

You did good getting an appointment for an assessment -- it sounds like you are on the spectrum, and it would be especially good, too, to get something in writing from that principal who mentioned autism to your mother all the way back then.

If you get the diagnosis, and if you are prepared to disclose it to your employers, they might have to think longer and harder about the issue of firing you for difficulties that are in fact linked to your autism challenges, as it would be discrimination against a person with a disability if it could be proved.

Although having said that, you're in a very tough job for someone on the spectrum, or even for someone not on the spectrum!

Good luck in seeking an explanation at last for how you are; most people who get late-diagnosed find it a relief just to know.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 2:56 pm

Marine414 wrote:
Hey StampySquiddyFan thanks for the encouragement i really appreciate it :D.

No problem :wink: . I stim a lot under stressful situations as well, like you described in another post. I can't believe it's only one officer per 64 inmates! That must be really exhausting!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Marine414

21 Aug 2017, 6:56 pm

StampySquiddyFan, yes it's extremely exhausting and not to mention dangerous.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 7:02 pm

I just realized:

You're in Milwaukee, a pretty big city.

Ever see Laverne and Shirley? It's supposed to take place in Milwaukee.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 7:05 pm

Marine414 wrote:
StampySquiddyFan, yes it's extremely exhausting and not to mention dangerous.

Yeah, I take my hat off to you for doing that :D .

Marine414

21 Aug 2017, 9:24 pm

StampySquiddyFan, Thanks but they are trying to fire me because of all of the problems that i having. I want to tell my supervisor that the reason why I have been having so many problems is because i think i might have Autism and am getting tested for it in October but I'm afraid if i tell them that they will say im not fit for the job.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 9:27 pm

I would say that if you tell them you might have autism, they would probably think you are "unfit" for the job.

Are you a member of a union? Maybe they could advocate for you.