whitehouse.gov AntiFa terror classification 81,500 in 3 days

Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 6:47 am

It really has to be stopped for the time being at public events because it's turning out to the direct detriment of civil discourse. If I remember correctly security for Ben Shapiro's last talk at Berkeley was something around $600,000 dollars. Speech can be bent and broken also, as Bret Weinstein mentioned in his panel with Dave Rubin recently, by neglect of its enforcement as a right. There are plenty of people who have opinions nowhere near Naziism, opinions that happen to have as many credible points as their opposition, and to let the particular sub-section of AntiFa that most people have the anonymity to do their thing means that if people aren't willing to get beaten, maced, or splashed with acid for speaking at an event they're looking at a price tag that they may very well not be able to pay.

Also I really don't think law enforcement has the means to track people down that easily when it's over one hundred people intimidating, breaking plane in small ways of what's commonly considered assault (pushing, kicking, etc..), and being to walk that upward. Wearing masks in a group, I have to reiterate, is a way to break the law, intimidate, and get out of it without consequence. It's too much of a problem and the whole 'nazi' thing was barely a blip on the map here in the US until we had nine months to a year of letting these sorts of leftists loot, vandalize, and arson. Until that point no one had any interest in the far right - then the opposite side started feeling like they had something to offer people. I'm truly amazed when anyone misses that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Oct 2017, 8:43 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
It's too much of a problem and the whole 'nazi' thing was barely a blip on the map here in the US until we had nine months to a year of letting these sorts of leftists loot, vandalize, and arson. Until that point no one had any interest in the far right - then the opposite side started feeling like they had something to offer people. I'm truly amazed when anyone misses that.

I'm equally confused as to how you come to this conclusion. I guess it shows how strong bubbles we get ourselves into. You think the American far-right rose up due to ordinary Americans holding counter-protests against nothing?

The US has had a problem with far-right types for a long time. Every few months one of them shoots up a public place. They form mobs to protest against abortion and gay rights. They do everything you accuse the Antifascists of doing. Within living memory they regularly formed lynch mobs and ruled large sections of the country through fear. They build statues of Confederate generals and proudly fly the Confederate flag. They made Donald Trump and Ted Cruz the most viable Republican presidential candidates.

While there is certainly an element of people whose feel under attack becoming more entrenched in their views, the far-right is not a hypermodern phenomenon.

I do not think we should entertain the idea of the police restricting people's freedom of expression, up to the point where they actually intimidate someone. I don't know about the specifics of who Ben Shapiro is or the nature of his appearance at Berkeley, but it seems there were multiple arrests there. That seems like there was already action taken against lawbreakers.

Floundering
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Oct 2017, 9:42 am

The whole 'nazi thing' wasn't a 'blip' over here and we will not let it happen again.

NO PASARAN

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 11:32 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I'm equally confused as to how you come to this conclusion. I guess it shows how strong bubbles we get ourselves into. You think the American far-right rose up due to ordinary Americans holding counter-protests against nothing?

The way I trace the dynamics it seems to have welled up as a byproduct and splinter of the 2013 forward free speech panic on campuses. In the liberal arts and ivy league colleges people wanted the campus to be a 'safe space' where they'd be free from hearing any opinions that they were uncomfortable with. Maybe part of the problem is that my first bits of familiarity with AntiFa in the US as a noticeable thing were the several times they vandalized, broke windows, and set fire to Berkeley when Milo came though. The first time I saw them actually have a credible equal and opposite was with Richard Spencer and the ilk he gathered together at Unite The Right.

The_Walrus wrote:
The US has had a problem with far-right types for a long time. Every few months one of them shoots up a public place. They form mobs to protest against abortion and gay rights. They do everything you accuse the Antifascists of doing. Within living memory they regularly formed lynch mobs and ruled large sections of the country through fear. They build statues of Confederate generals and proudly fly the Confederate flag. They made Donald Trump and Ted Cruz the most viable Republican presidential candidates.

The fundamentalist right are insufferable and I've been glad that progress in human knowledge has been rolling them back. It seems as far as I can tell that the dismantling of the religious right has lead to a churl displacement and they've simply traded one religion (Christian fundamentalism) for another religion (Neomarxism with Intersectionalism). I don't know if that was a head-per-head migration, it at least was a demographic one and it seems like the anti-science sentiment is shifting now to gain an equal degree of traction on the left with respect to evolution and biology. Seems like everyone wants the world to be something that it isn't, just that some seem foolish enough to believe that it must be the people around them holding them down (African Americans and Native Americans might have some legitimate reason to think this but this phenomena is mostly spear-headed by pampered suburban white kids attending undergrad at expensive universities that their parents are paying their way though).

The_Walrus wrote:
While there is certainly an element of people whose feel under attack becoming more entrenched in their views, the far-right is not a hypermodern phenomenon.

In the last ten years there was almost nothing to be heard from anyone expressing KKK or pro-fascist sentiments, now - as of August - it seems to have become a thing as a bunch of guys now LARP as nazis and claim they want to see the world carved up into ethno states because they're coming to the opinion that race is immutable in it's effects on how people treat each other and that they want to be left alone. They very well may be violent boneheads and idiots too, I wouldn't deny that one at all, just that they gained a strange relevance within two or three years of the politics on campuses going insane - and keep in mind this isn't a reaction to Trump - that can only be claimed to be a think since November of last year.

I also have to ask, just from the frame you're presenting - have you listened at all to Jordan Peterson or Eric or Bret Weinstein? If not you may want to check out the Joe Rogan 1006 interview with Jordan and Bret on the nature of fascism and it's reappearance in America. Bret's panel with Dave Rubin was good as well. I suggest that because they're high-quality thinkers discussing the issues that I'm talking about and they'll probably make the case a lot more clearly and credibly than a guy (ie. me) on an internet forum. You don't have to agree ultimately but I'd rather at least see you knowing what you're disagreeing with or why they - or I for that matter - are looking at this the way we are.

The_Walrus wrote:
I do not think we should entertain the idea of the police restricting people's freedom of expression, up to the point where they actually intimidate someone. I don't know about the specifics of who Ben Shapiro is or the nature of his appearance at Berkeley, but it seems there were multiple arrests there. That seems like there was already action taken against lawbreakers.

And they did something you wouldn't approve of. They enforced the mask laws that were on the books.

As for Ben Shapiro he's a Jewish Neoconservative political writer and thinker who tends to debate the left in an aggressive manner.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 6:49 am

Floundering wrote:
The whole 'nazi thing' wasn't a 'blip' over here and we will not let it happen again.

It also doesn't happen in a vacuum. Germany in the 1920's was in terrible shape, much worse than we could dream of right now unless we get Venezuela'd by Trump or whoever comes after him.

Floundering

04 Oct 2017, 7:50 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 8:54 am

Floundering wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xoM6-1SWl4&list=PL617BE1DB723DB1D6

Step outside your paradigm.

Do you care to talk content? I can watch videos, just that if they're general documents about political history I really doubt they'll have the impact on fixing supposed partisanship on my part that you're expecting. I'm also not sure what I'm getting pigeonholed as, not that it should even matter but I can't respond adequately to comments like this because you're the only person who knows what your comments mean. Other people can guess but then they're just describing their own reflection in tinted glass.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 9:00 am

While it's not Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, or the Weinstein brothers I still think this video is pretty helpful. They talk atheism and religion in this podcast but also talk about the current political climate, the new left and right, and where they're at trying to stand up for classical liberalism in the US at present:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 7:25 pm

Wow, he's getting conservative in his old age. Someone's going to have to say it - he's no longer cut out to be the godfather of the progressive left!