Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm

i accept that im different and accept my sensory and social impairments.
for me personally, it doesnt bother me as much anymore as it did when i was 12.
it bothers me once in a while because it makes me wonder will i ever get get friends and have a romantic relationship.
even tho autism is a disability i accept its who i am.
i dont enjoy it when people dont give me a chance.
tell me your thoughts on being autistic.

PS: if people dont like it that ur behaving differently ,if they want u to behave a certain way or cant accept ur disability and u as a person then you dont need them in ur life.
accept ur disability and yourself

Last edited by random1 on 20 Aug 2017, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 5:25 pm

It can be a royal pain in the butt....

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 5:28 pm

I feel that it's something to be celebrated, instead of a curse to be hidden.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 5:45 pm

I don't really feel one way or another about it. I simply view it as a fact, without attaching any sort of emotion to it. Sure, I get frustrated when I have difficulty with something because of my autism, and I might be happier if I weren't autistic (or I might not be, I don't know), but meh, it is what it is.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:01 pm

It fluxuates

Sometimes i forget im autistic, sometimes i think that i was diagnosed by mistake and im just normal and sometimes i feel that auitsm describes me perfectly and somedays i feel "more autistic " than others.

Mostly im fine with it as long as people treat me nicely and i dont have a hard time. But of course being autistic im gonna be a little slow with certain things, im gonna be a little awkward and im not gonna be able to go everywhere that others do.

I dont necessarlily wanna be non-autistic i just wanna be happy and calm.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:02 pm

I personally don't view it as a negative thing, although it brings negative consequences sometimes. Sure, I could complain all day about my autism and OCD, but I'd rather just accept the fact I have them and work through my problems. I accept myself too :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2017, 6:15 pm

Man this a tough one....it varies by day to be honest.

Being diagnosed as an adult in my 40's it's bitter sweet. On the one hand some of my biggest strength's in life have been because of Asperger's but in the same way other characteristics have been my downfall in a lot areas. In the grand scheme of things I feel very fortunate to have the life I have and that I have been able to perservere through so much before I knew.

Where I have real problems is seeing my two young sons contend with Asperger's in some of the same ways that I did and in other ways to even a greater extent. In some ways it pains me to know that these aspects of their life come from me.

Some days it's a real mixed bag of S!@T, not to mention the co-morbids that go with it, but it is who I am. I am glad that I finally found others like me. Kind Regards Shark

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:19 pm

It varies with me, too.

It's a bit of a pain in the butt today.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:24 pm

I know what I think about it, but I don't know how I feel about it.

Honestly, relieved perhaps? I know what's "not normal" about me. I am a person that likes to be informed, and work on the correct information. So relieved is most likely it. I spent many years questioning my differences from everyone. Now I don't.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

It wasn't nice being "not normal" during my childhood.

I sometimes glory and bask in it now.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2017, 6:35 pm

I'm not diagnosed, so I can't say. I suppose how I view my problems could change drastically if I was. As it is, I would rather not be autistic, whether that's my reality or not. Unlike many who lack any tangible diagnosis by their adult years, I'm not one of those who can "pass." I can't function in most ordinary situations, and pretty much everything I want to pursue is impossible because of that. I'm severely limited, so no matter where my issues come from, if I could obliterate them, I would.

Of course, I accept that this is the way my life is and will likely be forever. I'm not gloomy about it, either. I will rewrite my plans for the future and try to live as best I can, given my circumstances. But acceptance is different from embracing autism. I won't do that.

Ultimately, I don't despise my myself or my problems, but neither do I see any reason to celebrate being different when those differences are a source of pain.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:01 pm

I'm concerned about the consequences of getting a formal diagnosis. I don't want it to negatively affect my future, since I worked so hard to achieve my current level of functioning. I do feel sad for all of the time I wasted when I was younger. I realize that a lot of the things I'm doing now should have been accomplished years before.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

20 Aug 2017, 8:37 pm

It's part of who I am, and I wouldn't change it. I rather like having a near eidetic memory, and frankly I rather like not fitting in. I also feel like having an outside perspective has been a benefit for my writing. But sure, I could do without the anxiety and mood swings, and being able to find a job would be nice.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:57 pm

Mixed feelings. I have it. It's me. I've never been without it. It has created difficulties in life, but hey, that's life.
How would it be possible to separate my identity from autism?
It is such a foundational element of my consciousness, my awareness, that the idea of saying "Without autism I would be ..." is a fantasy, an unreality.
That is like saying, "Without carbon a diamond would be ..." or "Without oxygen water would be ..."
There is no way to determine what and who I would be without autism; but I certainly would not be me, just as how without carbon diamonds do not exist, without oxygen water does not exist.

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2017, 11:44 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Mixed feelings. I have it. It's me. I've never been without it. It has created difficulties in life, but hey, that's life.
How would it be possible to separate my identity from autism?
It is such a foundational element of my consciousness, my awareness, that the idea of saying "Without autism I would be ..." is a fantasy, an unreality.
That is like saying, "Without carbon a diamond would be ..." or "Without oxygen water would be ..."
There is no way to determine what and who I would be without autism; but I certainly would not be me, just as how without carbon diamonds do not exist, without oxygen water does not exist.

Well said. I was over 50 before I even heard of Asperger's. It doesn't change who I am but it's nice to have a name to put to it.

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2017, 3:30 am

I've often wished I were never born, even before I knew about HFA. I was told I was a mistake when I was 9 years old. Ever since then have tried to justify my existence by trying not to be a burden on anyone. It is very difficult, so since offline interaction is so difficult & unsustainable for long periods of time, decided to just mostly stay by myself & try & solve my own problems my own way. My problem solving methods sometimes scare people, so end up having to explain myself repeatedly. That gets annoying.