Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:35 pm

Can you have Asthma late in life? I took out my trash, I was heavily breathing, I got dizzy too, I felt like I really couldn't breathe.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:56 pm

Were you feeling anxious? I think you can have asthma later in life, though.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:07 pm

I don't know

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:10 pm

I'm going to look into it more, but it could have been something like a panic attack. It may also be asthma. I'm not entirely sure.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:11 pm

Yup, you can have asthma later in life.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:19 pm

It was different than an anxiety, my breathing was heavier, I felt like I was going to passed out. It stopped when I went inside my apartment.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:21 pm

It sounds like it could be asthma. I'll research it more for you, since I want to know more about it too :D !

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 6:50 am

I developed asthma at a really odd age (17).

At the moment, after years of no problems, I have had two courses of prednisolone to try and get my asthma under control. It still isn't. I take Symbicort which is a preventer and reliever in one.

You can get asthma at any age. If you're concerned about what you experienced, I recommend a trip to your doctor for a peak flow measurement. That involves taking a deep breath and blowing into a tube-like device that measures your outward breath.

I'm hoping you don't have it though as it's a real pain in the arse!

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:07 pm

renaeden wrote:

At the moment, after years of no problems, I have had two courses of prednisolone to try and get my asthma under control. It still isn't. I take Symbicort which is a preventer and reliever in one.

You can get asthma at any age. If you're concerned about what you experienced, I recommend a trip to your doctor for a peak flow measurement. That involves taking a deep breath and blowing into a tube-like device that measures your outward breath.

Agreed, I have asthma and it can be annoying. I was diagnosed with it when I was 14 years old.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm

renaeden wrote:

I also developed asthma around 17/18. It was my senior year of highschool and I've had it ever since :(

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 1:16 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
It sounds like it could be asthma. I'll research it more for you, since I want to know more about it too :D !

Thank You!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 1:33 pm

I only had heavily breathing when I took out my trash, I had it before, I hold on to a railing for support. The last time it was more bad, I went to my neighbors for help with my trash. I stopped when I was inside my apartment, I didn't stop right away, I end up crying.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 8:42 pm

(((Kitty)))

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Sep 2017, 4:06 am

An allergist tested me for asthma a few years ago & paperwork says I don't have it but may have situational asthma. I've very occasionally had wheezing episodes as an adult but that's only when my allergies were really bad. In the last few months I've had a few wheezing eps & some were really bad until I used my girlfriend's emergency inhaler. She has asthma too & takes one inhaler daily & also has an emergency one for as needed.
I started taking the med Singulair/Montelukast shortly before I saw the allergist for my allergies. It's a preventive med for asthma & allergies. I think it does help with my allergies some. My girlfriend also takes it for asthma & allergies. It can be taken with most allergy & asthma medications but you have to take it regularly for a while before it works.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 8:00 am

^Scary, isn't it?

Since I have had the Symbicort puffer, I have had a weird problem - the spray hits the back of my throat and I gag. Over and over until I nearly throw up and my eyes are streaming. Not pleasant. So my doctor recommended a spacer, which I bought today. I have used it once and it works without a problem!

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 8:33 am

Yep, it's entirely possible to develop asthma at any age.

I strongly suspect I have mild asthma. I was never able to keep up with everyone else in gym class because of my breathing issues, and I'd be out of breath for hours afterward - I could have gym in the morning and not have my breathing return to normal until an hour before I went home. It was particularly bad as a teen - I remember I'd sometimes be lying on my bed struggling to breathe and wondering if that would be the time I'd end up in the hospital (but I never did, it always ended up settling down on its own). I don't like going to the doctor because I'm always afraid they won't believe me or won't find anything wrong even when I feel like something's wrong. This is actually exactly what happened when I finally worked up the courage to mention it the first time - the doctor said my lungs sounded fine (yeah, and I wasn't having any trouble breathing at the time, either :roll: ) and was hung up on the fact that I didn't cough when I'd have breathing trouble. I've since realized that I unknowingly conditioned myself not to cough since I was a kid, because it makes noise and I hate drawing any attention to myself. I do get a sensation like I want to cough, but deeper in my chest than usual - it feels like I want to cough, but it won't actually help. I have a different doctor now, and a few months ago, she put me on Singulair for my allergies, and it didn't really help with that, but it did help my breathing - it didn't completely fix it, but it's better than it was. I could even do the first week of C25K and not be out of breath for an hour afterward (although week 2 was another story) - I thought I'd try it since my lungs felt so much better. The fact that that helped makes me more confident that it actually is asthma. I'd like to be officially diagnosed, but my medical insurance doesn't cover doctor visits anymore, so my parents really don't want to have to take me unless it's absolutely necessary.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"