Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JoeyC1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2017, 7:01 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Joey and I live in Charlotte, NC. I work at an electronics store part time and I do freelance website design/development. I was diagnosed with Autism when I was young but my parents never really talked to me about it. I only found out fairly recently. I've done a good job of passing as a neurotypical, but I've recognized some issues I've had for quite some time, and it was more recently that I decided to ask family members if they knew about Asperger's Syndrome and I thought I might have it and was planning on being tested. That's how I discovered I had an autism diagnosis when I was younger. I knew about a speech impairment as well as having poor motor skills, but that's all my parents ever mentioned in the past. The doctor initially said I would never function on my own, but here I am, functioning on my own.

I'm into comic books and comic book movies (I'm a big Marvel fan) and very interested in computers and gaming. I also have an interest in pro wrestling from time to time. Yes, I know it's staged. :D

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:35 pm

Welcome to Wrongplanet! It's awesome how you defied doctors expectations. I feel like those kinds of expectations hinder more than help. I hope you can have a good time posting here :D !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

JoeyC1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2017, 9:29 pm

Thank you! Yes, those expectations can hinder, for sure. But I do find I still run into a lot of challenges, which is why I decided to do a little digging about my past diagnosis.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:32 pm

JoeyC1980 wrote:
Thank you! Yes, those expectations can hinder, for sure. But I do find I still run into a lot of challenges, which is why I decided to do a little digging about my past diagnosis.

Yeah- autism can be really challenging and annoying sometimes! But there are good parts too. I'm glad you are interested in finding out more about your diagnosis. It's always good to learn more :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

JoeyC1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2017, 5:27 am

Definitely. It helps explain some of my previous roommate situations, work situations, and other social situations that I've had. Now that I know what's going on, I can take steps to help improve my life a bit more.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 6:00 am

JoeyC1980 wrote:
Definitely. It helps explain some of my previous roommate situations, work situations, and other social situations that I've had. Now that I know what's going on, I can take steps to help improve my life a bit more.

Yup! I learned some social skills I never knew before on the internet :D . Now I just have to figure out how to use them in real life..... :?

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 11:15 am

JoeyC1980 wrote:
Hello everyone!

My name is Joey and I live in Charlotte, NC. I work at an electronics store part time and I do freelance website design/development. I was diagnosed with Autism when I was young but my parents never really talked to me about it. I only found out fairly recently. I've done a good job of passing as a neurotypical, but I've recognized some issues I've had for quite some time, and it was more recently that I decided to ask family members if they knew about Asperger's Syndrome and I thought I might have it and was planning on being tested. That's how I discovered I had an autism diagnosis when I was younger. I knew about a speech impairment as well as having poor motor skills, but that's all my parents ever mentioned in the past. The doctor initially said I would never function on my own, but here I am, functioning on my own.

I'm into comic books and comic book movies (I'm a big Marvel fan) and very interested in computers and gaming. I also have an interest in pro wrestling from time to time. Yes, I know it's staged. :D

Welcome to Wrongplanet! I had a similar thing, doctors said that I was not going to be able to walk, yet here I am walking just fine! It's good that you were able to overcome your difficulties! :D

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

JoeyC1980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2017, 12:27 pm

Yeah! Doctors are great but don't always know what's going to happen.

I actually have crooked feet and they were supposed to break my feet to straighten them out when I was 12, but I was taking Tae Kwon Do and it actually helped improve my feet and they ended up not needing to break them.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 3:19 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D