Why do people get so angry over being filmed?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2017, 9:35 pm

It is 2017 and so many people still get agitated and furious over being filmed. We live in a digital age full of technology. There are cameras on our phones, on glasses, at banks, stores, ATMs, street lights, office buildings, and many other places. I have seen so many Youtube videos of people yelling at the cameraman for capturing them. It is not illegal to film in public. You don't need anyone else's consent to film or photograph them in public. It seems like so many people don't know the laws. Many of them threaten to call the cops when they are being filmed. Many of them also attack and assault the cameraman instead of just walking away or ignoring the camera. I like to film and take pictures and I have encountered some hostile and angry people. We live in the age of Youtube and social media. There is very little privacy anymore. When people get so hostile over being filmed, they are humiliating themselves even more because the cameraman can upload the video to social media or Youtube and the whole world can see the person overreacting over nothing.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:38 pm

I wouldn't get angry about being filmed now for TV or something like that, but I hated being filmed when I was younger because I hated all the attention.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:43 pm

MSBKyle wrote:
... the person overreacting over nothing.
You don't have enough information about them to know that.
And this tells me you are definitely an Aspie with respect for boundaries issues.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:51 pm

Maybe BECAUSE there is so little privacy now, and we've all been forced to accept that there are powers-that-be cameras filming us everywhere Big Brother style, and we can't do anything about those.

So, when just a regular person who is a complete stranger starts filming us too, it's the last straw. Plus it's controllable and we can say "enough's enough" face to face with someone.

We also don't know what a regular person is going to do with the footage. A government or security camera is one thing. But a person filming us is more likely to abuse the activity, mocking you on social media or something.

I don't like random strangers taking pictures of video of me. Why should I think that's okay? I don't even know them and I will have no control over whatever s**t they're going to do on the internet with that.

And a word of advice: you REALLY need to stop filming people.

You describe that people have gotten angry at you. Clearly you are not respecting strangers' boundaries. Quit filming people FFS.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:07 pm

MSBKyle wrote:
It is 2017 and ...

What you wrote broadcasts your attitude as being you are by definition in the right for filming them and they are by definition in the wrong for protesting being filmed - that leans just a bit toward the arrogant side of the line.

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2017, 10:11 pm

It is legal to film and photograph people without their consent. Celebrities have random people film and photograph them all the time. The person who attacks or assaults the cameraman is the one who is going to be charged, not the cameraman. I don't just go up to people and start filming them. I just walk around with the camera pointing it at random things. You can even film people without them knowing. Whether we like it or not, we live in a digital age full of cameras and technology. I see videos on Youtube all the time of people picking a fight with the cameraman when the cameraman is just standing there not doing anything. No one is threatening these or harming these people. I actually find these videos funny. No one is forcing them to do anything. If they don't like it they can walk away or maybe ask nicely if they can stop filming them. Cameras and technology are not going away. We have to deal with them whether we want to or not. Cameras are very accessible with the click of a button. There are no laws against filming or photographing in public.

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2017, 10:26 pm

I have also dealt with people who don't mind me filming them. They smile, wave, or give me the thumbs up. Other times I have dealt with people who want to start punching me or beating me up. If some random person started filming or taking pictures of me I wouldn't mind. If I was uncomfortable, I would just walk away or ignore them. I wouldn't start fighting with them or attempt to break their camera. People who don't like being filmed give me the impression that they are suspicious or are trying to hide something. If you have nothing to hide then you wouldn't mind being videoed or photographed. If filming was a crime then phone companies would stop putting cameras on them. Sometimes we need film for evidence of something. If a police officer arrests someone unlawfully, video would help investigators determine who is at fault. When fights break out, everyone's instincts are to pull out their cameras and start recording. Like I said, cameras aren't going anywhere. With the easy accessibility to cameras, people need to get over themselves and face reality. I am not the only one who films random people. Just go on Youtube and you will find millions of random people being filmed. People thrive on Youtube videos especially when they go viral.

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2017, 10:34 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
MSBKyle wrote:
It is 2017 and ...

What you wrote broadcasts your attitude as being you are by definition in the right for filming them and they are by definition in the wrong for protesting being filmed - that leans just a bit toward the arrogant side of the line.

They have a right to feel however they want, but they don't have the right to assault me or break my camera. Just go on Youtube and see the millions of viral videos. Where could we go for entertainment without viral videos? Nobody is going to stop me from using my camera. If these people want to fight me, I will put them on the internet and show the world what kind of people they are. If they just ignore me, I won't do anything with it.

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:44 pm

u mean u film strangers whether they like it or not?

one day someone will take your camera and shove it in your ass.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 1:04 am

you already made this thread.

you write this entire novel about how it's not illegal to film people and how others on youtube would react in your favor, but are you really saying anything?

eventually you may run into the kind of person who cares more about his boundaries and less about whether or not it's illegal to smash someone's camera. :skull:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 1:12 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
(...) eventually you may run into the kind of person who cares more about his boundaries and less about whether or not it's illegal to smash someone's camera. :skull:

There was a recent case here when a frustrated guy pointed at a drone with his wolf-gauge shotgun and pulled the trigger. He was fined for several hundred euros and had to pay the damage.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 1:12 am

was the drone on his property?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 1:14 am

Yes, hovering over his balcony.

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2017, 4:57 am

I wouldn't like being filmed because 1) I'm way too insecure to feel comfortable with that, and 2) I would have doubts about the person's intentions.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 8:15 am

MSBKyle --- you need to learn in life that sometimes it's not even all about what legal or not.

There are lots of things in life that you shouldn't really do, or should be more considerate to others about, that are not even anything to do with whether or not it's legal or not legal to do that thing.

There is CONSIDERATION that not everyone wants what YOU THINK THEY SHOULD BE OKAY WITH.

You really, really need to learn that.

But, I'm forming an impression, from your stance in your responses, that you are one of those people who actively and deliberately seek out "funny" videos of people losing their s**t, and probably go out to film it too.

Then there's no hope for convincing you that this is sh***y behavior on YOUR part.