Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Elissabat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2017, 11:19 am

I've been collecting dolls for years. When I was little and my mom starting telling me I was getting too old for dolls I hid some in my mattress and held onto them through my teenage years. I would make clothes for them and paint their faces. My boyfriend is supportive of me doing this and even got me a monster high doll house. Does anyone else do custom dolls or collect dolls? Not like porcelain ones or baby dolls. Like barbie, monster high, ever after high, or princess dolls? I have a few stuffed animals and some power ranger action figures too.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 11:30 am

Might be a little odd, but I certainly don't see anything wrong with it if that is what you like. I still have some stuffed animals and a few action figures...I am actually rather upset that I didn't keep all my action figures from when I was a kid though. I think I still have a Cat Woman action figure I found on the ground when I was like 7 probably the oldest one I still have.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 11:35 am

Not weird at all. I've known people 30 to 80 who collect dolls.
Search Google for doll collector society and you get
"About 1,240,000 results (0.72 seconds)"
There is even an international organization
http://ufdc.org/

Quote:
Doll collecting is one of the largest hobby groups in the world enjoyed by enthusiasts everywhere! The United Federation of Doll Clubs is a non-profit organization with the goal of being the foremost in research, education, conservation, collecting, and appreciation of dolls. Our Headquarters and Museum are located in Kansas City, Missouri.

The United Federation of Doll Clubs has been promoting the hobby of doll collecting and serving the needs of doll collectors since its beginning in 1949. Learn more about the organization and this website on the About UFDC page.

Elissabat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2017, 12:24 pm

I get weird looks when I buy one from the store and people ask me if I have kids and I always get weird. I don't really like kids so it kind of annoys me. I've taken to just ordering them online because I'm too embarrassed to buy them anymore. Lots of people do custom dolls, I've tried it but I'm not very good, those people just paint their faces and sell them. I actually play with my dolls, I just never stopped. My therapist has never really helped me figure out why I do this.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:32 pm

Okay that figuring out thing makes sense. Eh, let them stare :lol: Would you happed to know of the 1/6 scale, aobut 1 foot tall, action figures, the 1960s GI Joe, in UK Action Man figures, and many more modern ones?
There is a large hobby for them and my brother and his ex make costumes for them. Brother also makes costumes he wears for reenacting the American War of Independence, and he does look studly in the uniform!

Since I like to give references, a couple references,
Women Who Collect One Sixth Scale Action Figures
https://onesixthsociety.com/hot-toys/wo ... on-figures

One Sixth Society
https://onesixthsociety.com/action-figure-news

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 2:18 pm

Just look at the "reborn" community. It's full of adults who love collecting life-like dolls. Reborns were originally designed for adults, so I don't think you're that weird at all :D . I still love dolls, and I think I always will.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Elissabat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2017, 2:45 pm

Thank you! I also enjoy making costumes. Last year I made a set for my boyfriend and I. We were Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder with our pet Chameleon Wuzzle as Pascal. This year I'm going as Draculaura

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 3:32 pm

Cool!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 8:03 pm

No, IMO, there's nothing, at all, weird about it. I LOVE dolls----have several, and would still be collecting them, probably, if I could afford it. Bride dolls are my favorite----and, I really like doll houses, TOO!

(I know you weren't talking / asking-about this type, but I wanted to put my 2 cents, in.....)

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 6:08 am

Not at all wierd; we all have our hobbies and our things that remind us of other pleasant things or that we can use to pretend other pleasant things for fun. I love stuffed polar bears because they remind me of love and I also love real polar bears and really should adopt a polar bear this Christmas. Polar bears are something my son and I share and share fictional stories about too. It's a special thing in our relationship.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 2:23 am

Nope. I had and played with American Girl Dolls into my teens. It was a creative outlet for me. I don't know why society makes such a big deal out of it. It's cool that your boyfriend is supportive of you!

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:16 am

Perfectly normal for an autistic person.

Some autistic girls use dolls to re-enact social situations to better make sense of them. Do you do that?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 5:25 am

Elissabat wrote:
I've been collecting dolls for years. When I was little and my mom starting telling me I was getting too old for dolls I hid some in my mattress and held onto them through my teenage years. I would make clothes for them and paint their faces. My boyfriend is supportive of me doing this and even got me a monster high doll house. Does anyone else do custom dolls or collect dolls? Not like porcelain ones or baby dolls. Like barbie, monster high, ever after high, or princess dolls? I have a few stuffed animals and some power ranger action figures too.

Hey, if the VP for marketing of a major educational services firm based in Chicago can collect Barbies from over the decades, and help design the latest Barbie (last I heard. Last time I talked to her dad, who used to be my boss in the late 1980’s, she was still collecting), why can’t you have your dolls? When I was a kid, I had a D.O. Who was still collecting toy soldiers while he was in med school. (He died almost 40 years ago).

virallemon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2017, 8:37 pm

I don't think it's weird at all, I'm 16 and I've been collecting for 5 years. I collect Monster High, Ever After High, Disney, Barbie, action figures, porcelain and antique dolls, people at school think I'm weird but my mom, aunts, uncles, and grandma are supportive so I think having supportive people is all that matters.