Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:07 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I made the trip to Madras OR. to see this once-in-a-lifetime event. the eclipse of the century in terms of its near-universal observability all across America. the difference between totality and almost totality is like the difference between pregnant and almost pregnant. @totality it suddenly got to be about as dark as twilight, or about 9:30 at night in the summer. cool! 8)

I think you're probably right. However, my ride was acting all weird and criticizing me for asking when we were coming back. He has some problem with me, apparently with my way of having autism. It makes me want to avoid him if I'm having a mystical experience. I'll hope to be in a better situation, and make more of an effort in 7 years.

so did you not get to see it, or you got to see it but the experience was marred by this man? in any case, 7 years is plenty of time to prepare for the next one in texas! :) [that one will travel from latin America up into Canada in a roughly 60-mile-wide band of totality].

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:09 pm

I noticed that the sun's apparent brightness dimmed but still seemed to be coming from the whole width of the sun, up until the diamond ring phase.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I made the trip to Madras OR. to see this once-in-a-lifetime event. the eclipse of the century in terms of its near-universal observability all across America. the difference between totality and almost totality is like the difference between pregnant and almost pregnant. @totality it suddenly got to be about as dark as twilight, or about 9:30 at night in the summer. cool! 8)

I don't know where you live, but you are an intrepid adventurer.

Even if I had elected to go to my grandparents house in Tigard OR, it was still like a 2-3 hour drive from there to Madras (under normal traffic conditions). I was fearful of a massive amount of people crammed into one place and on one road.

Last edited by EzraS on 22 Aug 2017, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:44 pm

EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I don't know where you live, but you are an intrepid adventurer. Even if I had elected to go to my grandparents house in Tigard OR, it was still like a 2-3 hour drive from there (under normal traffic conditions).

I am normally a timid sort but I knew that if I turned down this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to cross off this bucket list item, i'd kick myself forevermore. so I prepared as best I could, gulped and took the plunge. the traffic was MURDER! 8O 10 @#$%ing hours to go from Madras to home. traffic just crawled the whole way.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:48 pm

auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I don't know where you live, but you are an intrepid adventurer. Even if I had elected to go to my grandparents house in Tigard OR, it was still like a 2-3 hour drive from there (under normal traffic conditions).

I am normally a timid sort but I knew that if I turned down this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to cross off this bucket list item, i'd kick myself forevermore. so I prepared as best I could, gulped and took the plunge. the traffic was MURDER! 8O 10 @#$%ing hours to go from Madras to home. traffic just crawled the whole way.

Your a real trooper, I could never get over my introvertness enough to leave town, let alone go on a 10 hour drive.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That's what I was afraid of, even as a passenger. I wish more now I had gone through with. Although I'm not sure who would have taken me who wanted to brave all that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:53 pm

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Your a real trooper, I could never get over my introvertness enough to leave town, let alone go on a 10 hour drive.

thank you :flower: I think if you had a good wingman you could have coped well with it. in a rental motor home it would have been a breeze. saw plenty of those on the trip. wish I coulda done it that way as well.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:54 pm

EzraS wrote:
That's what I was afraid of, even as a passenger. I wish more now I had gone through with. Although I'm not sure who would have taken me who wanted to brave all that.

I would have driven you if you had asked me. :flower:

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:

thank you :flower: I think if you had a good wingman you could have coped well with it. in a rental motor home it would have been a breeze. saw plenty of those on the trip. wish I coulda done it that way as well.

I would certainly need a motor home, I must be close to a safe place at all times, least I get caught out in the open when the anxieties attack. But I think a wingman as well would have helped me, especially in crowds. Your welcome, btw. :flower:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 9:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I would have gone for it if i had I known you were headed that way. Good ol hindsight.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 9:56 pm

EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I would have gone for it if i had I known you were headed that way. Good ol hindsight.

oh well, there's Texas in 2025.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:23 pm

I read on Facebook that Donald Trump look up at the sun.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:24 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I read on Facebook that Donald Trump look up at the sun.

along with Melania, both wearing the obligatory solar glasses.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:27 pm

He wasn't wearing any glasses for a few minutes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 11:44 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
He wasn't wearing any glasses for a few minutes.

if he stared directly at the sun for longer than an instant, his eyes will tell the tale. but I doubt that he is THAT stupid, he prolly took off the glasses when he wasn't looking up at the sun.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 12:55 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I'm so envious of all you guys in the States. Nothing this spectacular is ever visible in the UK because we nearly always have too much cloud-cover. This place sucks monkey's balls.

salem Oregon, a node along the path of the last American solar eclipse, was totally rained out, which disappointed a LOT of people there that year who had travelled a long ways to see the eclipse there.