Anybody here who doesn't have autism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:28 pm

Ok, so I realise this is a weird question to ask on a forum that's mostly about autism, and in the autism section no less. But..I can't help but wonder how many members here aren't on the autism spectrum.

For me, I have wondered if it was possible that I am, but after spending some time here...I don't think so.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 5:03 am

Two one time very active lady members (Nurseangela, and Soc.of.autism) are always very upfront about not being on the autism spectrum. They both took an interest in the autism community, and joined this site despite not being autistic themselves.

Neither has posted much in the last couple months though.

Many folks in the parenting subforum are not themselves autistics. They come here because they are parents of autistic kids. One mom did used to stray out of the Parenting subforum and post in other subforums (like about non autism related news and current events), but I haven't seen her lately.

I am sure that there are NT spouses of autistics, or friends and family, of autistics who come here.

And of course there is a wide range of folks within the wide ranging autism spectrum itself. Some WP members who are autistics are more autistic, than others, or are more NT than others.

Laki
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2017, 5:55 am

Well... it's possible that you are on the spectrum, but with just mild form of Aspergers or something like that, but I'm sure that there are normal people here - like parents, friends or siblings who want to know more and help or understand...

North1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2017, 6:13 am

I imagine they will be quite a few on here who are not them selves on the spectrum, such as: Parents, family, friends, spouses, partners, medical professionals / providers, researchers etc.

What makes you think you are not? I see you are in England have you tried speaking with you GP about the possibility of being assessed?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Two one time very active lady members (Nurseangela, and Soc.of.autism) are always very upfront about not being on the autism spectrum. They both took an interest in the autism community, and joined this site despite not being autistic themselves.Neither has posted much in the last couple months though.

That's true, I've seen a few of Soc.of.autism's posts here.

naturalplastic wrote:
Many folks in the parenting subforum are not themselves autistics. They come here because they are parents of autistic kids. One mom did used to stray out of the Parenting subforum and post in other subforums (like about non autism related news and current events), but I haven't seen her lately.

I am sure that there are NT spouses of autistics, or friends and family, of autistics who come here. And of course there is a wide range of folks within the wide ranging autism spectrum itself. Some WP members who are autistics are more autistic, than others, or are more NT than others.

Admittedly, I tend to forget about the parenting section because I don't tend to go into that section.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:14 am

It's not uncommon to find people who are non-autistic here.

There are also many people who suspect they are autistic, but don't "know" it yet.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:35 am

North1 wrote:
I imagine they will be quite a few on here who are not them selves on the spectrum, such as: Parents, family, friends, spouses, partners, medical professionals / providers, researchers etc.

What makes you think you are not? I see you are in England have you tried speaking with you GP about the possibility of being assessed?

No, I have not spoken to a GP about it. It was something I wondered about, but I think I was just getting ahead of myself. People here, their issues affect their everyday life, and I feel like that doesn't apply to me much.

Many seem to struggle with maintaining friendships and writing dialogue in stories, but I've never struggled with that properly. I'm good at writing character dialogue, I find it easy to put myself in the position of my characters and I seem to know them better than I even know myself.

When my online therapist, who probably isn't even a proper therapist since it isn't a protected job title so technically anyone could call themselves a therapist, speculated on it (when I brought up sensory issues) I couldn't help but wonder if she had a point. I feel like I was a fairly socially awkward child but that was mostly anxiety based, and I haven't acted like that for a long time and I cope just fine socially now.

Granted, the sensory thing is still an issue, but I have methods of coping. I don't find it hard to put myself in other people's shoes at all, figuratively that is, sometimes literally if we're the same shoe size, haha. :D

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:47 am

I've invited people from other forums I knew did not have autism to join, because I thought they would still fit in because of similar issues they were dealing with from other neurodevelopmental disorders such as fetal alcohol syndrome. And then there are those who are connected to someone with autism. Or those who are just interested in it.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:51 am

I used to think I was, but interacting with people here and reading on their lives and thoughts I've come to the conclusion that I am most likely not on the spectrum. Maybe I'm on some other spectrum, I don't know, but knowing isn't as important to me as it once was.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 12:14 pm

One point that I'd like to bring forward is that if there are NTs here who show a genuine interest in autism, we should make them feel welcome instead of painting them with a broad brush.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 12:34 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
One point that I'd like to bring forward is that if there are NTs here who show a genuine interest in autism, we should make them feel welcome instead of painting them with a broad brush.

and may I add, people who aren't NT but aren't autistic as well.

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 22 Aug 2017, 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 12:35 pm

Ive no idea.

Actually, lately, i have started to wonder if labelling myself is even beneficial. It seems to cause more confusion than anything else. It boxes people in and results in them developing often erronous and limited beliefs about themselves (ie I'm 'add label here' so it means i can achieve this or that) and it also causes other people to stereotype them (and often to treat them badly as a result).

It can also knock their self esteem, especially if they see themselves as wrong or disordered.

I have grown tired of being a stereotype.

I share some traits with people on the spectrum but I am no longer sure I would consider myself as autistic.

I seem to be more of an individual than anything else.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 12:43 pm

Also, Lost_dragon- make sure the "confirmation bias" isn't making you think you don't have autism. I'm not trying to make you feel like you have it, but if you think "I don't have autism, no matter what" and that is "confirmed" by you not having a particular symptom, then you will really not believe you have it when you might actually have it.

Again, not trying to make you think you are/aren't autistic, but the "confirmation bias" does play quite a large role in my life, since I have OCD as well.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2017, 2:53 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Ack, who are you? Your avatar is different!

More seriously, it confuses me when people do this. It's like the equivalent of changing your face.

Squiddy, if you read this, you messed me up too. I liked the MineCraft looking one.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 2:54 pm

soloha wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Ack, who are you? Your avatar is different!

More seriously, it confuses me when people do this. It's like the equivalent of changing your face.

Squiddy, if you read this, you messed me up too. I liked the MineCraft looking one.

Sorry :D ! I'm getting back into AGT lol!

I have the same problem :wink: .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 3:22 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Two one time very active lady members (Nurseangela, and Soc.of.autism) are always very upfront about not being on the autism spectrum.

I feel responsible for Soc.of.autism not posting anymore as I think I really bothered her with my opinion.

To the OP's question, I might not have autism as I haven't had a Dx.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard