Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2017, 7:05 pm

Do people with Asperger's have a hard time understanding boundaries? I feel that I have been this way my whole life. When I was a little kid, I used to push, tickle, and put my hands on other little kids. When asked to stop, I wouldn't listen and would keep doing it. In middle school and in high school I would stare at people. This made them really mad. I still tend to stare at others in public and it makes them mad or uncomfortable. I also like to take pictures and film things and sometimes people get really mad at me if I capture them on camera. When I have engaged in these behaviors, I never understood the annoyance or anger that I have caused. Just as long as I am enjoying myself, I tend to not take other's personal space into consideration. I will admit that I am still kind of like this. I still don't understand boundaries or why people get so mad at me.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 7:14 pm

I have a question, mainly because I'm curious: if you know that some of the things you do make people uncomfortable, why do you do it?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 9:07 pm

Yes. Many Autistics do not underatand nt boundaries. We also tend to have a different concept of personal space. But if someone tells you that what you are doing makes him uncomfortable, you should respect that. You don't have to understand it to honor the request out of respect. We want people to respect us even when they don't understand what we do. We should show that same coutesy to them.

Wreck It Ralph

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2017, 10:17 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
I have a question, mainly because I'm curious: if you know that some of the things you do make people uncomfortable, why do you do it?

I don't always know what I am doing makes someone uncomfortable. Sometimes I think what I'm doing isn't that bad and I don't mean any harm. Sometimes what people get mad about I don't think is that big of deal. I don't do the things I did to other little kids when I was younger, but I still get accused of staring and I like to use my camera.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 12:27 am

It can happen.

I did have a manager I suspected was an unidentified female aspie. She was sometimes tactile in a way which would have had a male manager - female staff member situation resulting in serious complaint of sexual harassment. Also, she was one of those people without much of a filter, no real tendency to self edit.

Someone I was pleased that they liked to keep their CV up to date and move on regularly as she has become some other company's potential problem