How do I deal with my sound sensitivity at school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2017, 8:25 pm

I've skipped my first two days of school because of it. They told me I had to go for the next 2-3 days so they can evaluate me but I don't think I can make it. It just feels like it's something I physically can't do... Anything I can do to try and endure the sound and sensory overloads?

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2017, 9:08 pm

I have to go in a few hours heeeeeeelp.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 4:12 pm

School can be really overloading for me as well. Do you have any earplugs you could wear, just for a little while? Do you stim? I find that stimming helps a lot with managing my sensitivities. Over time, you will most likely adapt to your environment, even if it takes you until May (like me)! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 3:43 am

Yep, I wear earplugs if the noise gets too much for me, and during lunch, when people insist on sitting in the classroom eating with their mouths open and making inane, brainless conversation so I cannot continue to work, I go outside for a while.

AuntieMatter
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2017, 2:00 pm

You can do it. The evaluation is important right? It'll help in the long term.

I have pretty acute sound sensitivity and it was a major concern starting college. I wear in-ear foam earplugs (just the cheap ones from the pharmacy) on campus a lot, especially in noisy areas like cafés and corridors. I might leave them in before the class starts if the room is very noisy. They're easy to put in and take out and keep in your pocket, so you can just use them when you need to. I have noise cancellation headphones too, which are great, but much more visible and heavy-duty.

I found that I could gradually wear the ear plugs less as I got used to the environment and learned which places I needed to wear them most, and which places I could handle. You learn to manage it, with self-preservation as a priority.

It's rough to begin with for sure, especially when you're dealing with all the other school stuff too. But it's important to find a way. I'd recommend being as clear as you can with the school about what noises/areas/situations cause you the most difficulty, and you'll gradually work out a way to have it (mostly!) under control.

I really feel you on this one, honestly. But stick it out and you'll be learning coping skills for the rest of your life.

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2017, 11:11 pm

Thanks for the tips. Earplugs cause a ringing noise instead of softening the sound so I can't stand them. I do have some larger earmuffs but I'm worried the school won't let me have them. The counselors don't like me and said I was being "snappy" but I don't really even know what that means. They've purposely delayed my 504 meetings because of our first interactions so even though it's pathetic I haven't gone in like a week.