Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 8:40 am

Hmm... Over the last two months I've applied to probably close to 20 jobs. So far:

About 5 rejected me without an interview
1 interview did not lead to a job (they said I was overqualified, it was just an internship anyway and in the past I already had similar internships)
I have one Skype interview and one phone interview coming up soon. Both jobs last only a year.
A government position sent me further in the hiring process but has not contacted me for interview. Gov position permanent.
Several I haven't heard anything from.

I'm starting to wonder about my chances... This seems pretty typical in comparison to experiences in the past... Usually takes me 3-4 months to be hired.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 1:27 pm

i myself try on average to apply for 10 jobs per day, but it seems all the old ones are still on the website i use and it seems there aren't as many vacancies and too many people in my area looking for a 2nd job or are more qualified. I left a agency which was designed for helping people into work but were treating me like I were a minority and a lost cause and made no effort to get me into work i am suitable for. I say i have applied about 1,000 jobs in the past 3 years, had occasional breaks in between, volunteering when I can, but recently been told volunteering is not good for my CV anymore and don't provide a good reference as you can choose when to work and not worry about being fired. I offered to work for free as work placement at large supermarkets in the hope it will turn into a paid job but won't even get the chance to work there. Never had a paid job last more than a day, and no ones taking volunteers who can't drive because most places in my area don't get public transport links.

bobchaos
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2017, 11:15 pm

Sounds to me like you're not doing bad at all. You got some interviews lined up, and not getting an answer on an application means nothing. They could have got their guy and not removed the posting yet, be in a "permanently hiring" type of situation but are not actually hiring just this moment, or maybe they just have s**t HR staff that's not monitoring the inbox. Same goes for "rejected without an interview". What counts are interviews, just keep lining those up, demonstrate your value as an employee, and you'll be working in no time. If you get a refusal, ask for feedback on your interview, preferably through a third party like an agency. You'll do better next time.

As for that government position, remember, those are slow everywhere. Keep applying elsewhere, but if I were you I'd stay close to the phone until you get a final answer from them, even if you pick up something else in the meantime (it could be months, red tape and all that :/ ). Gov positions can be quite comfortable (as in decent wage, benefits and job security).

*edit* a one year job is usually, in my experience, just an extended probation. Incidentally, it works both ways: you get one year to figure out if you'd consider staying or if they are crazy people. Most employers don't let go of talent just because the contract expired, not while they can afford it anyhow.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 9:48 am

It helps to have connections.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 11:05 pm

Angnix wrote:
Hmm... Over the last two months I've applied to probably close to 20 jobs. So far:

About 5 rejected me without an interview
1 interview did not lead to a job (they said I was overqualified, it was just an internship anyway and in the past I already had similar internships)
I have one Skype interview and one phone interview coming up soon. Both jobs last only a year.
A government position sent me further in the hiring process but has not contacted me for interview. Gov position permanent.
Several I haven't heard anything from.

I'm starting to wonder about my chances... This seems pretty typical in comparison to experiences in the past... Usually takes me 3-4 months to be hired.

Have you checked in with any of the hiring managers? Sometimes they have a lot of equally qualified candidates and they need something to break the tie. A phone call or e-mail asking if they've had a chance to review your resume and stating that you feel you have a lot to offer X company can be the tie breaker.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 9:51 am

Sounds like the government position is a possibility. I hope you get it.