New to college - Accountability and Organization

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

VR_Counselor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2017, 9:45 am

Hello. I am a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor working with individuals who are starting brand new college careers next week. Starting a new college can be a terrifying experience so I wanted to start this thread as a place members can go to offer each other advice, motivation, accountability, and friendship to help get through this new life experience. Also I hope this thread will help provide some motivation and accountability for students to encourage each other to complete assignments and stay organized this year in college. Many students are going away to live on campus at brand new colleges that do not offer this kind of accommodation in school, and I know it's tough for aspie's to make friends (in person) in college, especially those who can help hold you accountable. What do you think? Do you need someone to keep you accountable? Do you have good advice to keep other people accountable and organized? I look forward to the conversation! :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 6:06 pm

I think the discipline of vocational rehabilitation will rise by leaps and bounds in the near future.

I hope the tendency to put autistic people in relatively menial jobs will become less pronounced.

I hope you are within the vanguard of enhanced possibilities for autistic people--especially as regards placing autistic people in employment which is more commensurate with their abilities.

VR_Counselor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2017, 1:29 pm

Yes, I work very hard to learn about my clients strengths and interests and try to find employers who are open to hiring someone who may be a little "quirky," so to speak. I have had the opportunity to learn from some amazing people, and also to work with employers to teach them how to work with someone in a way that supports the individual's strengths and at the same time works around any challenges.

Also, there is a huge push to get rid of sheltered workshops and get people in more meaningful jobs.

I think things are on the rise. And as people lose their fears about what autism is, and become more supportive and understanding of it, I think it will be easier to carve out specific jobs, and/or place individuals in more meaningful careers.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 3:33 am

VR_Counselor wrote:
Hello. I am a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor working with individuals who are starting brand new college careers next week. Starting a new college can be a terrifying experience so I wanted to start this thread as a place members can go to offer each other advice, motivation, accountability, and friendship to help get through this new life experience. Also I hope this thread will help provide some motivation and accountability for students to encourage each other to complete assignments and stay organized this year in college. Many students are going away to live on campus at brand new colleges that do not offer this kind of accommodation in school, and I know it's tough for aspie's to make friends (in person) in college, especially those who can help hold you accountable. What do you think? Do you need someone to keep you accountable? Do you have good advice to keep other people accountable and organized? I look forward to the conversation! :D

I don't understand what you mean by "accountable".