Reshma Saujani: "Men create tech to replace their mothers"

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sephardic-male
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2017, 12:51 pm

Reshma is the founder and leader of Girls Who Code.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/21/news/ec ... index.html

this man hater in an interview claim that men lack empathy and use tech to replace their mothers. and she have a 2 year old son. who will he feels when he grows up and found out that his mother incite against his sex?

Robert Stacy McCain's sex trouble series

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 3:49 pm

Men lack empathy? Preposterous!

If you are ever trapped in a burning building, a man will probably save you.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 5:19 pm

Both men and women use uber and food aps. People want to make life easier, convenience apps do that and they sell better then say a disease tracking app would. Apps that connect people with services, goodS, or other people are more wanted by people. Isn't technology about making our life's easier?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 5:34 pm

well ... if you want to earn money, you need to solve rich people's problems.
there's lots of rich men in silicon valley, so it makes sense to try to fix the problems they didn't even know they had.

you're not going to become a billionaire by solving third world hunger.

sephardic-male
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2017, 7:33 pm

Reverse the sex and try getting away with this headline. 'Women NEED diamond rings - it makes hitting men easier '

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... rings.html

Robert Stacy McCain's sex trouble series

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:37 pm

And then doesn't she immediately say Exactly the same thing about women, with a bit different wording?????

Quote:
I'm often saying that they're solving problems that they are uniquely feeling."

"I don't want to make sweeping generalizations. One of the things I think I have found that is uniquely female is our empathy and our seeing what's happening in our home, our community, or the world, and wanting to do something about it," she says.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 12:08 am

Wow...she's saying that women have better empathy? That's pretty daring in this environment. She'll be palling around with Christina Hoff Summers (or be forced to) before you know it...

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 12:10 am

sephardic-male wrote:
Reverse the sex and try getting away with this headline. 'Women NEED diamond rings - it makes hitting men easier '

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... rings.html

In a way I think this one flips back around. It seems like she came dangerously close to saying that biological sex is real. Wonder if she signed James Damore's memo...

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 12:28 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Wow...she's saying that women have better empathy? That's pretty daring in this environment. She'll be palling around with Christina Hoff Summers (or be forced to) before you know it...

Most of the people who offer me emotional support are male.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 12:31 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Same, though I tend to attribute that to being male and straight.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 11:17 pm

sephardic-male wrote:

this man hater in an interview claim that men lack empathy and use tech to replace their mothers. and she have a 2 year old son. who will he feels when he grows up and found out that his mother incite against his sex?

On average, I've observed more "cold heartendness" from teeanged boys than teenaged girls, and I do believe males, starting at the onset of puberty, are more likely to feel less empathy than females, however I don't agree with her that "empathy is uniquely female".

I suppose it can be argued that some of the apps men have developed were motivated by lack of services their mothers previously provided but I don't see why a woman wouldn't have an equal desire for that service.

She does touch on an interesting subject though. On average, males and females tend to prioritize differently. Just this evening I walked by the Microsoft Store. They were having a gaming competition and the crowd participating and watching was almost entirely teenaged males. There were two females; one who appeared to be watching the competition, and another sitting off to the side at a table eating, who appeared to be with a boy who was watching the competition.

It made me wonder, if teenaged males are spending their time playing video games, what are the teenaged females doing? I wish I could provide an answer to this but it's always been a bit of a mystery to me as most of my interests are male oriented and I've always wondered where all the females were. I always thought maybe they hang out with friends and look at magazines, or at least that's what I thought my sisters did when they were teenagers, but that was 20 years ago.

One possibility, and there seems to be evidence to back this up, is that teenaged girls do play video games, and not only a minority of them, but a majority of them, only they do so in solitary fashion or are assumed to be male when playing online. In other words, they remain invisible. This might be the case but why don't they show up at gaming events in the same numbers teenaged boys do?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 4:28 am

Chronos wrote:
sephardic-male wrote:

On average, I've observed more "cold heartendness" from teeanged boys than teenaged girls, and I do believe males, starting at the onset of puberty, are more likely to feel less empathy than females, however I don't agree with her that "empathy is uniquely female".

I suppose it can be argued that some of the apps men have developed were motivated by lack of services their mothers previously provided but I don't see why a woman wouldn't have an equal desire for that service.

She does touch on an interesting subject though. On average, males and females tend to prioritize differently. Just this evening I walked by the Microsoft Store. They were having a gaming competition and the crowd participating and watching was almost entirely teenaged males. There were two females; one who appeared to be watching the competition, and another sitting off to the side at a table eating, who appeared to be with a boy who was watching the competition.

It made me wonder, if teenaged males are spending their time playing video games, what are the teenaged females doing? I wish I could provide an answer to this but it's always been a bit of a mystery to me as most of my interests are male oriented and I've always wondered where all the females were. I always thought maybe they hang out with friends and look at magazines, or at least that's what I thought my sisters did when they were teenagers, but that was 20 years ago.

One possibility, and there seems to be evidence to back this up, is that teenaged girls do play video games, and not only a minority of them, but a majority of them, only they do so in solitary fashion or are assumed to be male when playing online. In other words, they remain invisible. This might be the case but why don't they show up at gaming events in the same numbers teenaged boys do?

From what I've seen, "bro gamers" tend to see video games as extensions of their "man caves" and that probably makes female gamers uncomfortable. I've seen some say female gamers should only be allowed to play stuff like The Sims and Second Life and to stay out of their "territory". One particular individual on a forum I used to post on was a staunch gamer and hated the idea of gamer/geek girls, claiming that they didn't exist or atleast none that he found attractive exist to him. Oddly, he proudly maintained his interests and claimed to want a relationship (In reality, he just wanted sex more than anything since he said he hated how his huge sex drive goes unfulfilled unless he solicits hookers) but balked at the notion of gamer/geek girls. I suppose it's similar to how sumo wrestling is viewed in Japan, a male space.

I've noticed something similar with my guitar teacher. He's married but he doesn't like any female musicians. He even thinks there are no good "chick" singers in any form of rock music.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 6:45 pm

Marknis wrote:
Chronos wrote:
sephardic-male wrote:

From what I've seen, "bro gamers" tend to see video games as extensions of their "man caves" and that probably makes female gamers uncomfortable. I've seen some say female gamers should only be allowed to play stuff like The Sims and Second Life and to stay out of their "territory". One particular individual on a forum I used to post on was a staunch gamer and hated the idea of gamer/geek girls, claiming that they didn't exist or atleast none that he found attractive exist to him. Oddly, he proudly maintained his interests and claimed to want a relationship (In reality, he just wanted sex more than anything since he said he hated how his huge sex drive goes unfulfilled unless he solicits hookers) but balked at the notion of gamer/geek girls. I suppose it's similar to how sumo wrestling is viewed in Japan, a male space.

I've noticed something similar with my guitar teacher. He's married but he doesn't like any female musicians. He even thinks there are no good "chick" singers in any form of rock music.

I wonder what his idea of a good female rock singer voice would be. I think he is in the minority in thinking there are no good female rock singers.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 8:35 pm

Chronos wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Chronos wrote:
sephardic-male wrote:

I wonder what his idea of a good female rock singer voice would be. I think he is in the minority in thinking there are no good female rock singers.

Admittedly, my favorite female rock singers are not conventional ones; Jarboe is a tough pill for most to swallow but her unconventionality is what drew me to her. Nikkie van Lierop aka Jade4U would also make Britney Spears blush since she's far more sexual than she is but it's done in a more individual manner rather than to appeal to the masses.

My teacher is a cool guy for the most part but he has a borderline "bro" mentality. The weird thing about the "bro" mentality is that they tend to be homophobic and boast how straight they are but yet they don't want women around in certain areas.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 9:21 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Are most of the people you are close to male? If so one would expect most of the people who offer you emotional support to be male.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 9:29 pm

Marknis wrote:

Maybe he's just tired of women like Morgan Lander or Larissa Stupar sounding tougher than he does? :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う