Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 6:47 pm

Has anybody ever seen the Bronx in NY? The name alone (along with Brooklyn) is fascinating to say, and the history of the Bronx has also fascinated me, and for me it is almost hard not to mention the Bronx without knowing that it has been synonymous with the rise of hip hop. What do you guys think of the Bronx, and if you have been there, what is it like?

With all curiousity and thanks,

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on August 24, 2017)

cmr94
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Sep 2017, 10:12 pm

Yes, I only live about a 2 hour drive from there and have family there so I've been there a few times. Honestly, its a beautiful place but it isn't too nice of an area, its still pretty run down and dirty. But I love the history of hip hop in the Bronx. Have you seen the show "The get down"? I enjoyed that show a lot because it is based on the history of hip hop in the Bronx. If you haven't watched it yet I think you'd enjoy it as well.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:17 pm

cmr94 wrote:
Yes, I only live about a 2 hour drive from there and have family there so I've been there a few times. Honestly, its a beautiful place but it isn't too nice of an area, its still pretty run down and dirty. But I love the history of hip hop in the Bronx. Have you seen the show "The get down"? I enjoyed that show a lot because it is based on the history of hip hop in the Bronx. If you haven't watched it yet I think you'd enjoy it as well.

It was great! I really liked it, it was cool to see someone make a series like that, because I think no one had made a series like that before, and the accuracy of fashion and events were appealing to me as well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:22 pm

I lived in the Bronx until I was 3 1/2 years old.

I also lived there in 1990, briefly.

My grandmother spend, probably, the last 70 years or more years of her life in the Bronx.

I've been there hundreds, perhaps thousands of times.

There are some really nice parks in the Bronx; yet there are also very bad housing projects there.

There are old-fashioned "sunken living room" apartments in and near the Grand Concourse, which is on the western part of the Bronx.

And the Bronx Zoo--one of the best zoos in the country.

And the New York Botanical Gardens---world class!

And, of course, you have Yankee Stadium.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:48 pm

I used to live in New Jersey up until about 31, and have been to New York City hundreds of times. I mostly would go to Manhattan, but I've been to the Bronx a few dozen times. It's funny how the Bronx has that kinda suburban/cultural feel to it that made it so different from Manhattan. I LOVE New York City and how I can travel by foot or take the subway or take a cab in a pinch. You'd like as a person with Asperger's I'd hate crowds, but I love to walk down the most crowded parts of the city and just watch the people.

Anyway, as far as the Bronx is concerned, been to the zoo a few times, and also Yankees stadium. I also had some friends down there for a few years and I'd visit them and stay the night many a time. Trust me, I'd love love love to live in the Bronx and work in Manhattan, but I'm not going into a profession where I'd be able to afford that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:54 pm

^^^ I would say you might describing a place like Riverdale or Pelham Bay (which are in the Bronx, but don't "seem" like the Bronx), rather than most of the Bronx---which is mostly fairly urban--similar to parts of Queens and Brooklyn.

Streets and streets of six-story apartment buildings--and, every ten blocks or so, a commercial streets with lots of stores. This is the west Bronx.

The east Bronx has more open spaces---but more lousy housing projects, too.

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2017, 7:09 pm

i'm from there,but i was born in manhattan.i have family around here recently moved from upper-manhattan according to my aunt from my father's side through a phone conversation between her & my mother (how she got my number,i don't know),but they are nowhere to be found & one of the people from my third apartment almost looks like my cousin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:25 pm

I was born in Manhattan, too. But lived on Nelson Avenue near 170th Street until age 3 1/2.

Then I lived near White Plains Road in 1990.

My ex-fiancee lived near West 236th Street in Riverdale.

My grandmother lived on Andrews Avenue, near Fordham Road.

cmr94
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2017, 7:38 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
cmr94 wrote:

It was great! I really liked it, it was cool to see someone make a series like that, because I think no one had made a series like that before, and the accuracy of fashion and events were appealing to me as well.

Yes, I agree! I usually have a hard time finding shows that could hold my attention but I enjoyed that show so much that I watched it a second time. They did a really good job with the show! I really hope they come out with a second session! But out of curiosity what hip hop artist do you currently listen to? I loveee hip hop! :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:42 pm

Even the hip-hop artists themselves will tell you that hip-hop originated in not-that-great a neighborhood. If anybody really hung out in a schoolyard, they wouldn't describe it as "beautiful." They mostly hung out in schoolyards---or in parks like Crotona Park.

They liked hanging out with each other--that's beautiful. But the areas of the Bronx where hip-hop started--were usually pretty lousy and drug-infested.

The people who founded hip-hop----they were geniuses! They came up with a new musical form!

Some of the lyrics, later, became curse-laden and hostile----but so are heavy-metal lyrics sometimes.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 10:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
^^^ I would say you might describing a place like Riverdale or Pelham Bay (which are in the Bronx, but don't "seem" like the Bronx), rather than most of the Bronx---which is mostly fairly urban--similar to parts of Queens and Brooklyn.

Streets and streets of six-story apartment buildings--and, every ten blocks or so, a commercial streets with lots of stores. This is the west Bronx.

The east Bronx has more open spaces---but more lousy housing projects, too.

Yes, unfortunately most of the Bronx is pretty run down with a high crime rate. In terms of crime, it's the worst borough in NYC. While most of Harlem and frankly much of NYC as a whole is turning to gentrification, the Bronx mostly remains an area for a lot of poor people. When I saw the poor areas of the Bronx it sort of reminded me of Camden and Newark (although both those cities are even worse).

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 12:41 pm

cmr94 wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
cmr94 wrote:

Yes, I agree! I usually have a hard time finding shows that could hold my attention but I enjoyed that show so much that I watched it a second time. They did a really good job with the show! I really hope they come out with a second session! But out of curiosity what hip hop artist do you currently listen to? I loveee hip hop! :)

I like old school hip hop all the way! 70's, 80's and 90's! ;) Some of the artists I like include The Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, Grandmixer DST, Afrika Bambaataa, Man Parrish, Whodini, Schoolly D, Ice-T, N.W.A., and Dr. Dre.

The reason I like oldschool hip hop is because there is more meaning to it and rhythm when they are on the mic rhyming, and with the funky drum breaks, or in other cases when artists use the 808. (I am referring to the Roland TR-808 drum machine).

I also like the old hip hop fashion, the Adidas tracksuits and shoes, Nikes, Reeboks, and Filas... The bucket hats and regular baseball caps from the time are also appealing to me because I like vintage stuff in general. :lol:

When I look at hip hop now, I hate to say this, but I just don't really find it all that appealing. The rhymes have lost that energy to it, the feeling is quite dull and dead, and I just don't like it. :| But we had to end somewhere. I am a history adventurer. I like looking at the past and digging out new information to give to my brain, it's exciting to me. And hip hop history is one of those things I like to look at. While you may have different views about hip hop, it is still nice to tell you what I think of hip hop. Here is where I will end this response off, thank you for asking me that, and I hope you have a great day! ;)

With all thanks to you,

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 12, 2017)