Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:10 pm

Do anyone have a smart tv?

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 8:57 pm

Nope. Don't need one :) I have my TV set up to my computer and use it as a monitor.

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2017, 10:35 pm

Yep and I wish it wasn't.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 12:55 am

Keladry wrote:
Nope. Don't need one :) I have my TV set up to my computer and use it as a monitor.

Don't you have dpi issues??

I always thought you couldn't use a TV as Monitor b/c of that........no??

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2017, 12:59 am

I use my TV as a monitor all the time. No issues (With hdmi), back in the days it wasn't so good, with rgb cables an even svideo was pretty bad lol.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 1:01 am

I have a smart tv, but I can't be bothered to work out how to use it, so it stays in dumb mode... on/off, change channels.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 7:12 pm

slave wrote:
Keladry wrote:

I actually had to look up dpi....but no, I haven't had any issues with pixels or pixelation, and graphics display fairly well. I would probably get a better quality picture with an actual monitor, but I really like the bigger size of the TV, and it's great for things like streaming, etc. I'm ok with a slightly lesser quality for that. I've been using my TV as a monitor since 2011. It was a cheap TV too for the time, bought on Black Friday for about $100...much cheaper than a monitor.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 9:46 pm

Keladry wrote:
slave wrote:
Keladry wrote:

I actually had to look up dpi....but no, I haven't had any issues with pixels or pixelation, and graphics display fairly well. I would probably get a better quality picture with an actual monitor, but I really like the bigger size of the TV, and it's great for things like streaming, etc. I'm ok with a slightly lesser quality for that. I've been using my TV as a monitor since 2011. It was a cheap TV too for the time, bought on Black Friday for about $100...much cheaper than a monitor.

I have oft considered doing same.....certainly size and price are attractive.
Food for thought..........hmmmmm.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm

slave wrote:
Keladry wrote:
slave wrote:
Keladry wrote:

If you already own a flat screen TV, just get a VGA cable off of the internet cheap to try it out. If you like it and want to purchase a separate tv for it, then you'll know if it will work or not for you before spending a lot of money on it. Running a normal TV through the computer is MUCH cheaper than a smart tv. And I can use my computer from across the room if I want - I have a wireless keyboard/mouse as well, and the screen is big enough to see clearly from far away :)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 10:59 pm

Keladry wrote:
slave wrote:
Keladry wrote:
slave wrote:
Keladry wrote:

If you already own a flat screen TV, just get a VGA cable off of the internet cheap to try it out. If you like it and want to purchase a separate tv for it, then you'll know if it will work or not for you before spending a lot of money on it. Running a normal TV through the computer is MUCH cheaper than a smart tv. And I can use my computer from across the room if I want - I have a wireless keyboard/mouse as well, and the screen is big enough to see clearly from far away :)

oh, for sure!
prob is my TV is 720p and 26inches..........LMFAO!! !!
if my tv was even 1080p i would have tried it already!

but no...................... :( :( :( :(

:D

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 11:22 am

Yup i got a decent 43" Sony XBR43X800D 4K smart TV. I just use it to watch Netflix or play PS4 on. The smart TV function runs really quick unlike my parents older model Sony 40" 1080p smart tv.