How do you find a shrink on Medicaid

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2017, 7:18 pm

I'm poor and Medicaid and could use a decent psychologist to prescribe some anti anxiety meds (been having crazy levels of anxiety lately) but have no clue how to find one when my option are so limited. Any advice?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 7:27 pm

endersdragon34 wrote:
I'm poor and Medicaid and could use a decent psychologist to prescribe some anti anxiety meds (been having crazy levels of anxiety lately) but have no clue how to find one when my option are so limited. Any advice?
My understanding is that you need a Psychiatrist to prescribe meds, that is beyond what Psychologists are allowed to do.

This listing by Medicaid in your given state looks like a place to start looking,
http://health.utah.gov/umb/benefits/med ... d_prov.php

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Aug 2017, 3:01 pm

endersdragon34 wrote:
You go to your regular doc(if you have one) or get a GP if you don't & you let him/her refer you to a psych & be sure to tell them you have Medicaid. GPs can prescribe anxiety meds too but they may want to refer you to a psych.
When I lived with my parents there weren't any psychs in my area who accepted Louisiana Medicaid cuz it didn't pay them enough & they weren't required to accept it so my only option for free or cheap help was the parish(Louisiana word for county) mental help but they wouldn't accept me because I wasn't an immediate threat to myself or others. I had to pay for my psych help. I live in Vermont now & my girlfriend only has Medicaid for her insurance & she never had to pay for counseling or psychiatrist appointments.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition