Any other D&D / TRPG peeps out there?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 6:53 pm

EmmaHyde wrote:
Have you tried looking at a local comic shop? They normally have groups of people who run D&D campagins.

And also question for those that play, what type of class do you normally run? I find myself more often than not being a sarcastic rogue type who takes anything that isn't nailed down.

no, in all the years of having lived here(about fifteen), have only noticed one comic book store a few years back... not even sure it’s still there. they don’t seem to do particularly well around here. most d&d books were found at normal book stores(when there was more than one of them in town.)

haven’t played, but have played games like “neverwinter nights” on pc... always played an elf druid/shifter. alignment tests come back with true neutral, so that’d probably be the easiest class to role play at this point... preferring the natural world, to the human world, might help too.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I have a similar problem, especially when PDFs go on sale, where I will buy books for things that sound like they would be fun to play...but realistically, I don't have time to learn another game, or to teach everyone else, or get them interested, when we already play so infrequently. So I just stick with D&D Basic/Expert, and sometimes AD&D 2nd.

Some of them are nice to steal ideas from for houserules, though. And then there are books like AD&D 1st Edition, where the rules themselves don't run very well (IMO), but the Gygaxian prose is just fantastic reading material. ...and I guess there are lots of fun charts for randomly generating almost anything you could possibly want =) There's even charts for randomly rolling up your own dungeon map, which someone converted into a pretty fun Flash game: http://blogofholding.com/dungeonrobber/

yeah, have more heavy books than are even known what to be done with. though, only for two games, d&d and warhammer 40k. only stopped following warhammer 40k because of how costly it was for time and money... as, back when there was a place to play(a citadel miniatures shop in a local mall), you couldn’t unless they were completely finished, and perfectly uniform.

as for the d&d books... don’t even remember getting many of them(also have a couple handfuls of r. a. salvatore’s books in hard covers). like, there’s even one devoted to rolling monster characters(savage species). might be cool to play as a tengu monk or something(though, it looks like that might already be a playable race now), but really can’t remember what was had in mind while acquiring that one.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I have been painting some warhammer minatures, because my boyfriend likes to do that...and so it made me curious. So far I painted four dryads which are like tree people...and my paint scheme is somewhat based on those red-leaved trees on Game of Thrones...I can post pictures.

cool, it seems many who are interested in the games, are as much, if not more interested in making/painting the models. never tried warhammer, but used to play some warhammer 40k... mostly did far more painting than playing though. started with ultramarines(space marines), and drifted on to hive fleet kraken(tyranids... many of the models appear very much inspired by the “alien” films.). more than half of the models owned were from the first generation though(had to special order most of them in individual pieces.). though, can’t post any pictures because all of the models are in storage.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 7:16 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Oh yeah I thought you meant the novels.

Nah. I have some of them, some of the Forgotten Realms novels by R.A. Salvatore, but I haven't cracked them open. Might be nice if I ever finally decide to run a campaign in FR, but there's so much history to catch up on, it's a little overwhelming.

Ditto to the FR Campaign Setting itself, I have the 1st Edition boxed set, and most of it's just lore and background information. I'm sure, like most TSR stuff, the adventure modules have far more detailed information for specific areas/towns/cities/etc., everything you really need, but it's still kind of interesting to read.

I also have three Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style books. One of them is a lot shorter and easier, and is based on the cartoon series...that's the only one I've finished :oops:

I really enjoyed the novels I read, but now I can't remember where I even left off, but then I haven't really put a ton of effort into figuring that out and than tracking down more. My brother has some he had given to him but they don't seem to be quite the same series I was reading, probably tied in somehow...but I haven't read those. Last thing I read was the Game of Thrones books.

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2017, 9:12 pm

Zaarin wrote:
Not a fan of DnD specifically, but I'm a huge fan of pen & paper roleplaying. For years I gamemastered Star Wars (first Revised Core Rulebook then SAGA), but then during college I lost my group. I'm just now getting into it again, but I've become a big fan of rules-light, narrative driven systems: Cypher/Numenera, Fate Core, AGE, Coriolis, Tales from the Loop (I want to run this one so badly, but I don't think I could find a group who would play it with me...), etc. So far AGE (specifically Dragon Age) is the only one I've run (and that was a one-off), but it's exciting to get back in the gamemaster's seat (I'd love to play, but when you have a near-eidetic memory you seem to become the de facto gamemaster :roll: I've only had the pleasure of playing two sessions...and unfortunately both of thus sessions were with a slaver-driver of a GM who took the "roleplaying" out of RPG...), but I'm preparing to run a homebrew mash-up of Coriolis and Tianxia for Fate Core. I've always wanted to run a wuxia RPG, but my friends always give me the same response: "I don't know anything about China." So I figure crossing it with space opera takes away the excuse. :lol:

Not at all rules-light, but I'm also a huge fan of The Dark Eye, which has one of the most fascinating and unique systems I've encountered. Unfortunately its character creation seems to scare people away. Can't imagine why. :lol:

I might have let out my happy noises at reading you ran Dragon Age games ( I f*****g love that series... even if Inquisition makes me wanna slam my head into a desk) I know nothing about the others but they all sound really cool, like are they fantasy based or sci-fi or blended? And I get the GM thing, the last GM I had made things weird / tried to hit on me (I think, it seemed like it), and I've finally found a new group. Fingers crossed it doesn't get weird. And I'd love to GM, I'm not sure which game I'd wanna run. It's a toss up between the Vampire Masquerade universe, D&D, Firefly/Serenity, or Cyberpunk. :lol:

Sweetleaf wrote:

I really enjoyed the novels I read, but now I can't remember where I even left off, but then I haven't really put a ton of effort into figuring that out and than tracking down more. My brother has some he had given to him but they don't seem to be quite the same series I was reading, probably tied in somehow...but I haven't read those. Last thing I read was the Game of Thrones books.

I tried to read Game of Thrones... it took me a year and a half to finish the first one....I haven't tried to read the others yet. I've been trying to read the Dragonriders of Pern series again, I really like those.

Lace-Bane wrote:

no, in all the years of having lived here(about fifteen), have only noticed one comic book store a few years back... not even sure it’s still there. they don’t seem to do particularly well around here. most d&d books were found at normal book stores(when there was more than one of them in town.)

haven’t played, but have played games like “neverwinter nights” on pc... always played an elf druid/shifter. alignment tests come back with true neutral, so that’d probably be the easiest class to role play at this point... preferring the natural world, to the human world, might help too.

Damn, that sucks :( I'm sorry. There's a website called Meetup. You can always try and search for D&D groups on there for your area. And I love druids and nature = a lot better than people most of the time.

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

elf_wizard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2017, 9:55 pm

Love D&D (currently playing 5e) & have played a lot of other tabletop pen & paper games, including playtesting with a group of indie game designers that I met from Meetup. Loved me some Warhammer once upon a time too. Did a fair amount of painting and rewrote the 8th ed. fantasy rulebook. Some of my best early memories are playing AD&D at school. I still have my first polyhedral dice set from when I was 10 (except the d4 that I lost).

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I have been painting some warhammer minatures, because my boyfriend likes to do that...and so it made me curious. So far I painted four dryads which are like tree people...and my paint scheme is somewhat based on those red-leaved trees on Game of Thrones...I can post pictures.

Please. I'll go first (files are in my public Dropbox .. sorry the lighting is not better):

High Elf Captain: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b7xtxwytad1n ... n.jpg?dl=0
High Elf Spearman: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9yszwjq3c2ld ... n.jpg?dl=0
High Elf Bolt Thrower: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7oqcct4fzin5 ... r.jpg?dl=0
Zombies: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1ecjclnlx78r ... s.jpg?dl=0

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 8:30 am

Lace-Bane wrote:
yeah, have more heavy books than are even known what to be done with.

You want to see a real heavy book, you should see Pathfinder =)

http://www.jimzub.com/pathfinder-vol-1- ... -may-15th/

Fourth picture down is a pretty good comparison of the Core Rulebook, that thing is massive.

EmmaHyde wrote:
It's a toss up between the Vampire Masquerade universe, D&D, Firefly/Serenity, or Cyberpunk. :lol:

Shadowrun B)

I really miss that game sometimes, but I don't think I'd be able to run it very well myself. The atmosphere is the best part, and I wouldn't be able to do it justice at all.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 9:54 am

elf_wizard wrote:
Love D&D (currently playing 5e) & have played a lot of other tabletop pen & paper games, including playtesting with a group of indie game designers that I met from Meetup. Loved me some Warhammer once upon a time too. Did a fair amount of painting and rewrote the 8th ed. fantasy rulebook. Some of my best early memories are playing AD&D at school. I still have my first polyhedral dice set from when I was 10 (except the d4 that I lost).

Sweetleaf wrote:

Please. I'll go first (files are in my public Dropbox .. sorry the lighting is not better):

High Elf Captain: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8b7xtxwytad1n ... n.jpg?dl=0
High Elf Spearman: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9yszwjq3c2ld ... n.jpg?dl=0
High Elf Bolt Thrower: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7oqcct4fzin5 ... r.jpg?dl=0
Zombies: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1ecjclnlx78r ... s.jpg?dl=0

pretty cool, I really like the zombies.... and yeah here's mine the lighting isn't quite the best either, some of the details are kind of hard to see:

and then these are some earlier minatures I started out on. I also have a couple trolls...but I don't currently have pictures of those, but anyways:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 10:25 am

Lace-Bane wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

cool, it seems many who are interested in the games, are as much, if not more interested in making/painting the models. never tried warhammer, but used to play some warhammer 40k... mostly did far more painting than playing though. started with ultramarines(space marines), and drifted on to hive fleet kraken(tyranids... many of the models appear very much inspired by the “alien” films.). more than half of the models owned were from the first generation though(had to special order most of them in individual pieces.). though, can’t post any pictures because all of the models are in storage.

Yeah the dryad minatures are for Warhammer age of Sigmar...and there is also 40k from which I understand is more kind of sci fi, yet has orks lol.

That said I have never played either type of warhammer..I did get a book with some of the story behind the dryads and some rules and such for using them to play but so far I've only painted them. My boyfriend knows a lot more about it and how its played, but he has mostly just painted as well though much longer than I have.

elf_wizard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2017, 12:14 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
pretty cool, I really like the zombies.... and yeah here's mine the lighting isn't quite the best either, some of the details are kind of hard to see:

Those look really good & are shot pretty well. How long have you been painting?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 1:00 pm

elf_wizard wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Those look really good & are shot pretty well. How long have you been painting?

I'd say around 2 years somewhat off and on, I started with the Reaper minatures because they're cheaper than the Warhammer ones, and at the time I had never painted minatures before at the time so wanted to see if how I did with that before spending the money on those. The Warhammer minatures are certainly better quality, the material is much easier to paint actually, but certainly more of an investment.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2017, 11:18 am

EmmaHyde wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
Not a fan of DnD specifically, but I'm a huge fan of pen & paper roleplaying. For years I gamemastered Star Wars (first Revised Core Rulebook then SAGA), but then during college I lost my group. I'm just now getting into it again, but I've become a big fan of rules-light, narrative driven systems: Cypher/Numenera, Fate Core, AGE, Coriolis, Tales from the Loop (I want to run this one so badly, but I don't think I could find a group who would play it with me...), etc. So far AGE (specifically Dragon Age) is the only one I've run (and that was a one-off), but it's exciting to get back in the gamemaster's seat (I'd love to play, but when you have a near-eidetic memory you seem to become the de facto gamemaster :roll: I've only had the pleasure of playing two sessions...and unfortunately both of thus sessions were with a slaver-driver of a GM who took the "roleplaying" out of RPG...), but I'm preparing to run a homebrew mash-up of Coriolis and Tianxia for Fate Core. I've always wanted to run a wuxia RPG, but my friends always give me the same response: "I don't know anything about China." So I figure crossing it with space opera takes away the excuse. :lol:

Not at all rules-light, but I'm also a huge fan of The Dark Eye, which has one of the most fascinating and unique systems I've encountered. Unfortunately its character creation seems to scare people away. Can't imagine why. :lol:

I might have let out my happy noises at reading you ran Dragon Age games ( I f*****g love that series... even if Inquisition makes me wanna slam my head into a desk) I know nothing about the others but they all sound really cool, like are they fantasy based or sci-fi or blended? And I get the GM thing, the last GM I had made things weird / tried to hit on me (I think, it seemed like it), and I've finally found a new group. Fingers crossed it doesn't get weird. And I'd love to GM, I'm not sure which game I'd wanna run. It's a toss up between the Vampire Masquerade universe, D&D, Firefly/Serenity, or Cyberpunk. :lol:

I have such a love-hate relationship with Inquisition. It has what may be the best story BioWare has ever written...but it's buried beneath a mountain of fluff and fetch quests. To say nothing of ruining mages, making the gameplay nearly intolerable, and of course fifty varieties of buzzcuts and nothing else for hair. :lol: And even though Alix Wilton Regan is easily my favorite voice actress (I've loved her ever since playing Deponia), I never connected with the Inquisitor the same way I did Shepard. :( Still, I'm willing to forgive most of its flaws now that BioWare has shown me what a truly bad game from them looks like. Rest in peace, Mass Effect. ;)

I only ran a one-shot of Dragon Age, and unfortunately it was last minute so I wasn't nearly as familiar with the system as I'd like to be. Still, I like that there are consequences for failing spellcasting (woo, maleficarum! :p )--though if I run a Dragon Age campaign in the future, I might use the rules for The Dark Eye.

Numenera is one of the most fascinating roleplaying settings I've come across: strictly speaking it's post-apocalyptic, but presented in such a way that it looks very high fantasy--only all the magic is actually advanced technology and the dragons may actually be advanced robots or genetically engineered creatures or what not. Coriolis is what I'm preparing to run right now, and it's pretty classic space opera in the vein of Firefly--but replace Western or Chinese influences with Middle Eastern. The publisher describes it as "Arabian Nights in space." I'm adding kung fu rules so I can give it a sort of wuxia flavor. Tales from the Loop is a really interesting one and I wish I could find players for it: it's based on Simon Stålenhag's paintings, and it's set in the 1980s but with giant robots and other technological mysteries. The players play as kids in the 10-15 range who have to solve these mysteries. It's definitely in the "childhood nostalgia" genre, but I'm not sure I could sell my players on playing as kids...Tianxia is a rule expansion for Fate Core (a setting-agnostic rule set) set in a sort of mythic Medieval China filtered through the lens of wuxia and Hong Kong cinema. I've tried several times to convince my players, but they always protest they don't know enough about China--so I finally sold them by transplanting it to a space opera setting, namely Coriolis. ;)

Speaking of RPGs that look like they're for kids but totally aren't, Cairn is a really interesting indie RPG. At first glance, you play as uplifted woodland creatures. On closer inspection, this is a world where the gods got so fed up with humans that they dropped a moon on them 8O and uplifted animals to take their place. :lol: So yeah, that got dark quickly. :D It also includes such child-friendly notes as mentioning that cannibalism is "frowned upon" but rats do it anyway. :lol:

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

elf_wizard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2017, 1:18 pm

@Zaarin Cairn sounds awesome.

Speaking of indie games and wuxia, has anyone played this one?

http://danielbayn.com/wushu/

It's pretty rules-light, but they're smart rules and it's all about enabling the crazy. Really, really fun if you have a DM that "gets it".

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2017, 3:13 pm

elf_wizard wrote:
@Zaarin Cairn sounds awesome.

Speaking of indie games and wuxia, has anyone played this one?

http://danielbayn.com/wushu/

It's pretty rules-light, but they're smart rules and it's all about enabling the crazy. Really, really fun if you have a DM that "gets it".

Cairn is on the long list of games that sound fun but I can't find a group for. :lol:

Wushu looks interesting, though for a rules-light wuxia game I think I'd go with Tianxia (which isn't free, but it's cheap--about $10, or less on sale). I was really keen on trying Qin: Warring States, but the rights reverted to the original French publisher and now it's out of print in English. :| Nice thing about Tianxia is that the rules are set up to support both over-the-top wuxia-style kung fu and more grounded traditional kung fu drama. Also it's weapon-agnostic, which is to say that it doesn't care if you're wielding your fists or a jian or a meteor hammer or whatever: all that matters is your skill. Reduces the work for the gamemaster, plus it means even a power gamer (don't have any in my group, but they can be a problem in a narrative game...) has no reason to favor one weapon over another for stat purposes.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

CaptainChemosh
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2017, 11:54 pm

I adore D&D 3.0e/3.5e as well as Pathfinder, though I haven't had a group to play with in some time sadly.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 6:48 am

We just finished the 2nd Ed. campaign I was running, and I'm already having withdrawals :?

I'm really itching to run a B/X megadungeon again, though.

KoalaKid1578
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm

D&D is always something I was interested in, but it just never quite came together when I was younger. I had friends who I let know I was interested, but for some reason it just didn't coalesce into actually playing. I would love to try someday though! I've watched a few streams of people playing (as well as HarmonQuest which is freaking awesome) and it just seems like so much fun. Maybe one day it'll happen, who knows!

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 10:26 pm

I'm a massive tabletop fan. Started with DnD 3rd Ed and graduated to things like White Wolf and Shadowrun later.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin