Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

raenur
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2017, 3:15 am

Greetings - apparently I signed up to this site ages ago but I can't remember if I ever posted.

Some details about me:

I'm in the rare category (so I believe) of being an Autistic single father who has custody of his children. As such I feel I have more in common with single mothers...

I'm from the UK, and I'm nearly 40. I have been married but it was to the wrong person, having started a relationship out of desperation and loneliness. The main upside of having been left with primary responsibility for my boys is that I can get on with them better than adults generally.

I have a job, but it's horribly draining and I hate the office environment. I'm hypersensitive to noise and visual distractions. I get annoyed that the organisation I work for is totally oblivious to how awful the environment is, even for NTs, but they can cope despite admitting that it's a crap environment.

The combination of kids + job is highly exhausting however, and it has taken me years to regulate my mood to cope with periods of depressed moods. I have been depressed most of my life, yet amazingly kept going. I don't give myself any credit for this.

My social interaction is limited to family and the two friends I've got at the moment, one of whom is autistic as well and another who is a "mum" friend - one of the rare people who apparently cuts through my awkward interface.

I'm hoping to find a way to connect with more autistic people like myself, but given everything I have to cope with, it is hard not to spend all spare time retreating into myself with books or games and pretending the world doesn't exist.

I hope I can manage to keep up with this forum - a quick look again after some years has reminded me that there are plenty of people with similar issues finding people like them. I find it hard to understand why I don't use the internet more to do this - although I know it's part of being Autistic. At the moment I'm so severely fed up with isolation I've kicked myself in the behind to make an effort targeted at the right group of people.

:)

[edit]apparently this was my 8th post but I didn't bother to look up what they were...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 3:31 am

^^^hiya Raenur :) welcome to our club :alien: you are sorta a hero to me in that you are higher functioning than me, you managed to reproduce and to keep a high-stress job without it totally killing you. I hope you find the people on your wavelength, here on this site. :bigsmurf:

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2017, 4:30 am

I'm a newbie too, welcome

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2017, 5:41 am

A warm welcome to our planet, raenur!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 3:26 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2017, 8:50 pm

Hi welcome!

raenur
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Aug 2017, 1:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^hiya Raenur :) welcome to our club :alien: you are sorta a hero to me in that you are higher functioning than me, you managed to reproduce and to keep a high-stress job without it totally killing you. I hope you find the people on your wavelength, here on this site. :bigsmurf:

True to form it took me several days to reply. Thanks for the replies :)

I guess by outward appearance I'm "higher functioning", but I was thinking earlier today that it puts me in a group of people that can't understand me. Internally I'm in the same group as those who are not lucky enough to have a skill that keeps them in a job. I can function in a job but I don't feel connected to anyone I work with.

Also, having children isn't everything. I don't think anyone should validate themselves based on whether they managed to have a family.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 1:11 pm

Welcome to Wrongplanet! Sorry this was late :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

raenur
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Sep 2017, 3:00 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Welcome to Wrongplanet! Sorry this was late :D .

Thanks, there is a lot of traffic on the forum and it's difficult to reply to everyone :) Particularly troublesome for me as I always want to say more than "Hello"...