Has anyone tried trading for a job?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

rio76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Aug 2017, 9:03 am

Has anyone tried trading for a job? It is online and has no need for people contact. You do your own analysis and place a trade online. It sounds like the ideal job for an aspie, although I am not sure what the success rate is. I am sure there are risks involved in this kind of work, but there are certainly benefits if it works out.

bobchaos
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Aug 2017, 12:43 am

Be extremely careful. Trading online is a shark business, literally every place that will offer to help you get started, or supply cool tools or whatnot, are either trying get a cut of your money or will use you as part of some multi-million dollar strategy that benefit them only. I'm not saying it can't be done, but in such shark infested waters you should never accept any "freely given advice" or even paid one. Another thing to know about trading is that you're often not "competing" against humans, but against machines. Large financial institutions have AIs running on supercomputers designed specifically to predict the markets, and therefor indirectly manipulate it. A stock may appear to rise steadily only to suddenly crash right after you purchased on account of some computers collectively decided it wasn't a good commodity anymore.

If you want to do this, start reading up on the various kinds of financial products that can be traded, how their pricing is calculated, who (or what!)'s trading them and most importantly go read about game theory. It's perhaps the most important method used by human traders to pick stocks and other financial products.

**edit** I feel I should specify: go read scholarly works on economy, not whatever pops up first on google, when researching financial products. The internet is the shark's favorite playground :P Many Universities now have their entire programs online for free, including some pretty famous ones. That includes a fair bit if reading recommendations and often some videos of lectures.

Darkrose50
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Sep 2017, 2:34 pm

This is what I do:

[1] The S&P 500 outperforms 86% (?) of fund managers. Us normal folks are unlikely to outperform those top 14% of fund managers.
[2] Invest in indexed mutual funds for the low fees. Don't pay for folks that are beaten 86% of the time by set average of companies.
[3] Invest into indexed mutual funds because they re-balance themselves. The 500 changes over time.
[4] Leave your money invested when the market is down. It always goes back up. When it does not, then civilization will end, and you will have other things to worry about.
[5] Dollar cost averaging (investing over time) is cool. Don't try to time things.
[6] Wait for the "some of the time" opportunities. I lucked out an invested into the Fidelity mutual fund FSDAX (war stuff) after Trump was elected, and I am up ~25% . . . I am over the moon. Sometimes I can see something, but not most of the time.
[7] Tax free is the bees knees! I have a new job and I am going to try to put $18,500 (the maximum) into the S&P 500 401(k) pre-tax per-year. Once I get $100,000, then I will take out a $50,000 loan from myself (1/2 or $50k is the maximum) and pay down my mortgage. That way I am paying myself back, and get to use pre-tax dollars. That's my evil plan for world domination (also the wife wants the mortgage paid off before we retire).