Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 6:43 pm

Do anyone have it?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 6:46 pm

Yep. And it can hurt! Fortunately for me watching what I eat makes a big difference.
And now I'm going to risk trouble by heading off to Taco Bell.
I know full well it could make problems but I want something from Taco Bell.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 7:09 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Yep. And it can hurt! Fortunately for me watching what I eat makes a big difference.
And now I'm going to risk trouble by heading off to Taco Bell.
I know full well it could make problems but I want something from Taco Bell.

I have Colitis, I been having it on & off since 2000, I have it now, it is just the beginning. What food & drink you should avoid? I don't know. Can you help me? I heard you shouldn't have coffee :(

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 7:25 pm

Hey, I'm back.
Some references,

Quote:
Foods to limit or avoid

Limit dairy products. Many people with inflammatory bowel disease find that problems such as diarrhea, abdominal pain and gas improve by limiting or eliminating dairy products. You may be lactose intolerant — that is, your body can't digest the milk sugar (lactose) in dairy foods. Using an enzyme product such as Lactaid may help as well.

Limit fiber, if it's a problem food. If you have inflammatory bowel disease, high-fiber foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains, may make your symptoms worse. If raw fruits and vegetables bother you, try steaming, baking or stewing them.

In general, you may have more problems with foods in the cabbage family, such as broccoli and cauliflower, and nuts, seeds, corn and popcorn.
Avoid other problem foods. Spicy foods, alcohol and caffeine may make your signs and symptoms worse.

Other dietary measures

Eat small meals. You may find you feel better eating five or six small meals a day rather than two or three larger ones.
Drink plenty of liquids. Try to drink plenty of fluids daily. Water is best. Alcohol and beverages that contain caffeine stimulate your intestines and can make diarrhea worse, while carbonated drinks frequently produce gas.
Talk to a dietitian. If you begin to lose weight or your diet has become very limited, talk to a registered dietitian.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... c-20342791

Quote:
During periods of disease flares, eating may prompt abdominal discomfort and cramping. Here are some ways to reduce these symptoms:

Eat smaller meals at more frequent intervals: five small meals (think in terms of "fist-sized" portions) every three or four hours, for example, rather than the traditional three large meals a day.
Reduce the amount of greasy or fried foods in your diet. Butter, margarine, cream sauces, and pork products may all cause diarrhea and gas if fat absorption is incomplete. These symptoms tend to occur more in people who have had large amounts of small bowel (particularly ileum) removed.
Limit consumption of milk or milk products if you are lactose intolerant. Some people cannot properly digest lactose, the sugar present in milk and many milk products, regardless of whether they have IBD. This may occur because the inner surface of the small intestine lacks a digestive enzyme, called lactase. Poor lactose digestion may lead to cramping, abdominal pain, gas, diarrhea, and bloating. Because symptoms of lactose intolerance may mimic those of IBD, it may be difficult to recognize lactose intolerance. A simple "lactose tolerance test" can be performed to identify the problem. If there is any question, milk consumption may be limited. Alternatively, lactase supplements may be added to many dairy products so that they no longer cause symptoms. Your dietitian may assist you and/or your child with this. However, it's desirable to maintain intake of at least some dairy products because they represent such a good source of nutrition, particularly calcium and protein.
Restrict your intake of certain high-fiber foods such as nuts, seeds, corn, popcorn, and various Chinese vegetables. If there is narrowing of the bowel, these foods may cause cramping. High-fiber foods also provoke contractions once they enter the large intestine. Because they are not completely digested by the small intestine, these foods may also cause diarrhea. That is why a low-fiber, low-residue diet (see below) is often recommended.

http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/ ... ition.html

Quote:
Mainly exogenous sources contribute to the colonic pool of sulphur, such as red meat, cheese, milk, fish, nuts, and eggs, and as preservatives found in commercial breads, beers, many alcoholic drinks, sausages, and dried fruits. Faecal sulphide levels increase after consumption of increasing amounts of meat,7,8 providing evidence that meat is an important substrate for sulphide generation by bacteria in the human large intestine.
It has been proposed that sulphide toxicity may be important in the pathogenesis of UC

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1774255/

Quote:
Can diet alone be used to cure Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis (UC)? It's a question Dr. David Suskind, a gastroenterologist at Seattle Children's, has been researching for years.
Today, he finally has the answer: yes.
In a first-of-its-kind-study led by Suskind, published today in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, diet alone was shown to bring pediatric patients with active Crohn's and UC into clinical remission.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 171130.htm

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 7:28 pm

As for the coffee;

Quote:
It's proven that the caffeine in coffee stimulates the brain, but there's something in a cup of joe that can also jump-start the other end of the body.
That's right: Coffee can make you poop.
And though a number of studies have attempted to explain the effect of a cup of java on the bowels, scientists have yet to determine what it is about the beverage that sends some imbibers running to the restroom.
One study, published in 1990 in Gut, a journal of gastroenterology, found that coffee induces a "gastrocolonic response" in some individuals just minutes after they consume the beverage. While the study failed to identify the exact cause of this response, researchers hypothesized that coffee somehow affects the epithelial tissue lining the stomach and the small intestine.

The Gut study also found that coffee promotes the release of gastrin, a hormone produced within the stomach and known to increase motor activity in the colon. As this area of the of the colon is closest to the rectum, researchers concluded that increased activity there could be responsible for coffee's laxative effects.

While certain health professionals believe it's the caffeine in coffee that causes heightened motor activity — or contractions — in the colon, the Gut study found that in certain individuals even decaffeinated coffee stimulates the need to defecate. This led the researchers to conclude that it's not caffeine, but some other substance in coffee that's responsible for the drink's reputation as a purgative.

https://www.livescience.com/45465-why-d ... -poop.html

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 7:50 pm

Thanks