Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 5:34 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I was gonna ask that too.

There was the "Greatest Generation" who were the parents of the Boomers.

So they were adults (old enough to fight in WWII) when the oldest boomers were born.

But the younger boomers were born as late as either 1960 or 1964. So that pushes up the birth dates of "parents of boomers" all they up to the middle of the war.

So...
Greatest Generation are those born from the end of the first world war up to the end of the second world war (they could be infants up to draft age during the war- my parents, Martin Luther King, and Anne Frank, were all middleschool kids during the war- so they are all included).

Then boomers start with the end of the war 1946 to (some say 1960)most say 1964.
Then some put later boomers into "generation jones".

But lets ignore that for the moment.

So after boomers come folks born 1965 up to...?

Okay so how does it work?

There is gen X, Gen Y, and Millennials. So how do those three generations split up the remaining 36 years of the 20th Century?

Gen Y and Millennials are different names for the same thing.

I'd class the generations as follows but really it's all just arbitrary:

Greatest Generation - up to 1929 (16 in 1945)
Silent Generation - 1929-1944
Baby Boomers - 1945-1959 (apparently my earlier cut off of 1955 is not supported by many people)
Gen X - 1960-1982 (people who will become adults before 2000)
Millennials - 1983-2000
no common name yet - 2000-present

assuming people procreate at around 30, that means the older millennials are children of baby boomers.

yes, we all have jobs now (sort of), but we can't afford houses, or healthcare... how is that not a symptom of the crisis?
first, we couldn't afford to take the steps our parents took at the same age because we couldn't afford it, because we had no jobs - creating a schism between what our parents thought was "right" and what we were doing- and now we ... can't afford to take the same steps our parents did at the same age, prolonging the gap.

also: it used to be called work. or employment. but our generation is speaking of jobs. the next one will be speaking of gigs. and then, hopefully, UBI after that.

Again, I'm pretty damn sure GenX will get more attention once their children grow from now depressed teens into adults. Pretty sure some boomers will tell them they raised their kids wrong.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 5:46 pm

I'm a Baby Boomer, born in 1961. I guess I'm Generation Jones---which I hadn't heard of before last year.

I feel my experiences are quite a bit different even from a friend who was born in 1963. He thinks of himself as a Generation Xer.

I believe most baby boomers remember Vietnam quite well; whereas Gen X's only have a vague memory of it.

I remember the King and Robert Kennedy assasinations--but not JFK's

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2017, 2:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm a Baby Boomer, born in 1961. I guess I'm Generation Jones---which I hadn't heard of before last year.

I feel my experiences are quite a bit different even from a friend who was born in 1963. He thinks of himself as a Generation Xer.

I believe most baby boomers remember Vietnam quite well; whereas Gen X's only have a vague memory of it.

I remember the King and Robert Kennedy assasinations--but not JFK's

Depending on who you ask, you could also be the an early Gen Xer. Most sources say the Gen X is 1961-1981 birth years. There is some overlap of late baby boomer into Gen X, as there is with Late Gen X into Millennial.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2017, 2:04 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I was gonna ask that too.

There was the "Greatest Generation" who were the parents of the Boomers.

So they were adults (old enough to fight in WWII) when the oldest boomers were born.

But the younger boomers were born as late as either 1960 or 1964. So that pushes up the birth dates of "parents of boomers" all they up to the middle of the war.

So...
Greatest Generation are those born from the end of the first world war up to the end of the second world war (they could be infants up to draft age during the war- my parents, Martin Luther King, and Anne Frank, were all middleschool kids during the war- so they are all included).

Then boomers start with the end of the war 1946 to (some say 1960)most say 1964.
Then some put later boomers into "generation jones".

But lets ignore that for the moment.

So after boomers come folks born 1965 up to...?

Okay so how does it work?

There is gen X, Gen Y, and Millennials. So how do those three generations split up the remaining 36 years of the 20th Century?

Gen Y and Millennials are different names for the same thing.

I'd class the generations as follows but really it's all just arbitrary:

Greatest Generation - up to 1929 (16 in 1945)
Silent Generation - 1929-1944
Baby Boomers - 1945-1959 (apparently my earlier cut off of 1955 is not supported by many people)
Gen X - 1960-1982 (people who will become adults before 2000)
Millennials - 1983-2000
no common name yet - 2000-present

Most sources I have read say Gen X is 1961-1981. In general, its a 20 year span. Also, I thought 21 was considered official adult age. I turned 21 in the year 2000, making me the tail end of the Gen Xers.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 2:33 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...What do you understand to be the " start " and " finish " dates for each of these generations' birth dates?
Is it:
Baby Boomers - 1/01/46 to 12/31/64
Generation X - 1/01/58 to...??? ('58-'64 being " Generation Jones " , also.)
Millenials - ??? to...Supposedly, 9/11/01?
Plus, is rhe generation born post-the Millenials that's going to really start going to college in a couple years Generation Z? :? " Generation Y ", for they who ended up being called the Millenials, never caught on :wink: . I've seen Generation Z being thrown around a bit. BTW, are you aware of calling the, more or less, the generation that came of age after World War II was over, the post-" Greatest Generation ", pre-Boomers, generation the " Silent Generation "?

I always thought it was as follows:

Born before 1945: Traditionalists.
Born from 1945 to 1965: Baby Boomers
Born 1966 to 1980: Generation X
Born 1981 to 2000: Generation Y
Born 2001 to Present: Millenials

I was born in 1976 and am without question Generation X, although many of us Mid 70s gen Xers prefer "Children of the 80s." The 80s was pretty much my whole childhood that I remember.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 3:19 pm

http://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/5 ... -x-170539/
This article suggests that marketers are confused on how to market to to them.

"Generation X "doesn't like to think of itself as a generation," he says, "and that may be as important as anything in diminishing the tendency to talk about them.""

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 9:51 pm

248RPA wrote:
I read that the Gen x population is small and sandwiched between Baby Boomers and Millenials, which are both big in number. And as a result, Gen x gets overlooked. Don't know how true that is.

A large part of the problem is the inconsistent way in which we define the generations to begin with. For example, the 'Baby-boomers' are by most thought to be those born between the years of 1946 and 1964 (18 years), but 'Generation X' is often thought to be bracketed by the years 1965 and 1977 (12 years, although it is sometimes 1980 or 1982 that marks the end of it). How are the 'Millennials' defined?

Quote:
Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.

That's not very precise, to say the least. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 12:28 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
if noone is complaining about you, you must be doing something right.

I'm GenX, and that's what I say!

Floundering
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2017, 3:32 am

There is a sandwich generation between Gen X and the Millennials, we are Gen XY; the real first generation to wholly embrace computers and technology into our everyday life. We were programming BBCs, zx80s, 81s, spectrums, c64s, Amigas etc.

We were the fonephreaking, BBS dialing, script kiddies of the 80s and 90s, the pioneers of the internet.

We're the Rage Against The Machine, Nirvana, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack, Trip Hop, Britpop, Hip Hop, Rave generation.

We laughed and learned with Bill Hicks, Mark Thomas, George Carlin, Eddie Izzard etc

We knew politics was a lie, grew up cynical and became the hacktivists.

We have been the catalysts for change many times and will continue doing so. :ninja:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 3:03 pm

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 10:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

Me too! We're the BEST generation by far! The boomers and Y-ers should bow down and thank the Lord above for the absolute privilege of having us in their midst. We just do the job, make the sacrifices, and carry on whilst the other generations try to steal all the credit for OUR accomplishments (Al Gore invented the internet? Don't make me laugh!).

The 1970's, 80's and 90's were the BEST times in history to grow up in. We had the benefits of advanced technology, but not too much (like today, with Fakebook and all that crap). I'll let this person explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLyw7jytykE

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 1:12 am

Lintar wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

Me too! We're the BEST generation by far! The boomers and Y-ers should bow down and thank the Lord above for the absolute privilege of having us in their midst. We just do the job, make the sacrifices, and carry on whilst the other generations try to steal all the credit for OUR accomplishments (Al Gore invented the internet? Don't make me laugh!).

The 1970's, 80's and 90's were the BEST times in history to grow up in. We had the benefits of advanced technology, but not too much (like today, with Fakebook and all that crap). I'll let this person explain:

I can remember, though, how back in my high school and college years, we Gen Xers were accused of being slackers, and criticized for not wanting to grow up. Hell, that could still describe me! :lol:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 3:21 am

...WHAT I WROTE DIDN'T GO UP, AND NOW I'M RUNNING OUT OF POWER ON THIS PHONE. :cry:

Lintar"]

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLyw7jytykE[/quote]

I can remember, though, how back in my high school and college years, we Gen Xers were accused of being slackers, and criticized for not wanting to grow up. Hell, that could still describe me! :lol:[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:21 am

I find the whole concept of generations to be a bit strange.

So Generation X is the group born between 1961 and 1981? All these people are a homogeneous group? A guy born in 1961 grew up with different culture than a guy born in 1981.

Competing over whose generation is best is just silly.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:15 am

I am a boomer and I like a lot of what Gen X was doing in the 90's. I like grunge/alternative rock, Quentin Tarantino, and the ironic skeptical imitation films that followed, I liked Windows 95 and while the dot.com bubble is long gone but the internet business model and structure gen x'rs set up is the roots of today's web (Forums like this one)

The 90's were a better time than usual to be different. Instead of wrong planet I often spent my Friday and Saturday nights watching VCR tapes of weird films like this

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 10:46 pm

A first draft of this didn't go up :cry: .
Were " slacker " and " Generation X " really in all that wide use in that sense in '80-'88 or so, when you would have gone to HS and college assuming you followed a " normal " schedule :( ? Myself. I. have my lifetime of tears :cry: over never having.been allowed to truly go to college/uni -And no one will try to help (I don't mean financially) me to go now :cry: !

gauer"]

Lintar wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

I can remember, though, how back in my high school and college years, we Gen Xers were accused of being slackers, and criticized for not wanting to grow up. Hell, that could still describe me! :lol:[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!