Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 10:46 pm

A first draft of this didn't go up :cry: .
Were " slacker " and " Generation X " really in all that wide use in that sense in '80-'88 or so, when you would have gone to HS and college assuming you followed a " normal " schedule :( ? Myself. I. have my lifetime of tears :cry: over never having.been allowed to truly go to college/uni -And no one will try to help (I don't mean financially) me to go now :cry: !

gauer"]

Lintar wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
if noone is complaining about you, you must be doing something right.

I'm GenX, and that's what I say!

Me too! We're the BEST generation by far! The boomers and Y-ers should bow down and thank the Lord above for the absolute privilege of having us in their midst. We just do the job, make the sacrifices, and carry on whilst the other generations try to steal all the credit for OUR accomplishments (Al Gore invented the internet? Don't make me laugh!).

The 1970's, 80's and 90's were the BEST times in history to grow up in. We had the benefits of advanced technology, but not too much (like today, with Fakebook and all that crap). I'll let this person explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLyw7jytykE

I can remember, though, how back in my high school and college years, we Gen Xers were accused of being slackers, and criticized for not wanting to grow up. Hell, that could still describe me! :lol:[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 1:38 am

There was a 1991 Richard Linklater film named "Slackers". It was well reviewed and people started saying the film captured the zeitgeist of the then young generation which led to to the whole generation bieng called slackers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 10:22 am

...Yes, ezactly. I was saying that Kraich' s college, and eapecially HS, proably came bwfore the " X" and " S " terms were genwrally..
I was just being Mr. Literal Aspie :P! !! !! !! !! !!
A Canadian novelist named Douglas Coupland coined " Generation X " in the sense we use here in the title of a novel he wrote about that time also. I've not read his.novel nor seen Linklater film, but I know both.

PartOfMe"]There was a 1991 Richard Linklater film named "Slackers". It was well reviewed and people started saying the film captured the zeitgeist of the then young generation which led to to the whole generation bieng called slackers.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 10:31 am

ASS-P wrote:
...Yes, ezactly. I was saying that Kraich' s college, and eapecially HS, proably came bwfore the " X" and " S " terms were genwrally..
I was just being Mr. Literal Aspie :P! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
A Canadian novelist named Douglas Coupland coined " Generation X " in the sense we use here in the title of a novel he wrote about that time also. I've not read his.novel nor seen Linklater film, but I know both.

PartOfMe"]There was a 1991 Richard Linklater film named "Slackers". It was well reviewed and people started saying the film captured the zeitgeist of the then young generation which led to to the whole generation bieng called slackers.
[/quote]

I actually first heard the term Generation X all those years ago on Oprah, where people our age described themselves as "the lost generation."

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 10:48 am

...Of course, you remember " Lost Generation " being supposedly coined by Gertrude Stein, referring to Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest, etc. in rhe post-Great War years?

Kraichgauer"]

ASS-P wrote:

PartOfMe"]There was a 1991 Richard Linklater film named "Slackers". It was well reviewed and people started saying the film captured the zeitgeist of the then young generation which led to to the whole generation bieng called slackers.
[/quote]

I actually first heard the term Generation X all those years ago on Oprah, where people our age described themselves as "the lost generation."[/quote]

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 11:24 am

In 1991 the book Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Copeland was published. Like the movie "Slackers", it received all sorts of media hype leading to the term Generation X becoming popular.

In 1965 a book entitled Generation X was published describing the British mod youth subculture. In the late 1970's a British punk band fronted by Billy Idol named themselves after the book.

"Your Generation" by Generation X introduced by Marc Bolan of T-Rex

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 2:46 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Of course, you remember " Lost Generation " being supposedly coined by Gertrude Stein, referring to Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest, etc. in rhe post-Great War years?

Kraichgauer"]
ASS-P wrote:

I actually first heard the term Generation X all those years ago on Oprah, where people our age described themselves as "the lost generation."[/quote][/quote]

Yes, I know. That particular term referred to the generation who had fought in the trenches in WWI, then found themselves asking what the world and life was all about in the 20s.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 2:56 pm

As for the OP, timing. If you asked that question 15 years ago people would laugh, everything was about 'Gen X' and 'the greatest generation'. Media is always fascinated with the youngest adult generation, it gives those older something to complain about and the younger generation something to claim they're unfairly accused of: namely, it's controversy and controversy sells media. The oldest generation with a healthy population is also talked about because for the most part they hold institutional power, they've been around longest, they've accrued more wealth than the other generations, and thus they're important because of the power/purse they wield. Give it another 10 and we'll be talking about Gen X again, and the new 'go f**k yourself with a sharpened razor dildo' generation that's coming up now (also my vote for their official name btw).

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 12:24 am

Ha Astrophanes is right. We're just not young enough to be noticed anymore, but not old enough either.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2017, 11:54 am

Aristophanes wrote:
As for the OP, timing. If you asked that question 15 years ago people would laugh, everything was about 'Gen X' and 'the greatest generation'. Media is always fascinated with the youngest adult generation, it gives those older something to complain about and the younger generation something to claim they're unfairly accused of: namely, it's controversy and controversy sells media. The oldest generation with a healthy population is also talked about because for the most part they hold institutional power, they've been around longest, they've accrued more wealth than the other generations, and thus they're important because of the power/purse they wield. Give it another 10 and we'll be talking about Gen X again, and the new 'go f**k yourself with a sharpened razor dildo' generation that's coming up now (also my vote for their official name btw).

People never stop talking about Baby Boomers though.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 12:00 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

He already explained that. They're the generation with the money and influence now.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2017, 12:03 pm

hurtloam wrote:
rvacountrysinger wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

He already explained that. They're the generation with the money and influence now.

Oh I c.