Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2017, 4:04 pm

Gen Xers are hardly ever discussed at all on the political spectrum or in the news . All they talk about in the media and elsewhere are two defining groups: Baby Boomers and Millennials. You'd think to hear them talk that those of us in between never existed. I was born in 1979, and I am one of the younger Gen Xers. Its like we got the shaft. No one cares about us.. No one thinks we even exist. Where is our generation?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 5:08 pm

...Well, go pop a Prozac and watch a Brady Bunch rerun and remember your childhood pair of Donny & Marie Underoos, bro, I suppose, and try to find some Hydrox cookies to mull into :| :lol: (Upper-end Gen-Xer, late-end Boomer - sometimes called " Generation Jones ", but that never caught on, myself.........................)

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 5:14 pm

if noone is complaining about you, you must be doing something right.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm

I read that the Gen x population is small and sandwiched between Baby Boomers and Millenials, which are both big in number. And as a result, Gen x gets overlooked. Don't know how true that is.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 5:25 pm

We're in the middle laughing at everyone else.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 5:36 pm

Some day they will come to us, and ask, "old person ... tells us what it was like back then ..."

I will say ... I remember ....
-the first home computers
-the PAC-MAN craze
-drive-in theaters
-the pre-Internet age
-the pre-cellphone age
-8-track tapes, VCR tapes, and CDs
-record players
-"Have you ever been a member of the Communist party?" was asked for military enlistment
-the day the space shuttle Challenger exploded
-Friday nights were special as they would show "Dukes of Hazard" and "Love Boat" and "Automan"
-the dot com boom and bust

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 5:40 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
All they talk about in the media and elsewhere are two defining groups: Baby Boomers and Millennials.
That's not what I've seen.
By way of illustration I just Googled Gen X, clicked the News tab and got "About 3,280,000 results (0.49 seconds)"

Samples from media for just this month:

A Survey of 19 Countries Shows How Generations X, Y, and Z Are ...
Harvard Business Review-Aug 25, 2017
In the near future, three of the most studied generations will converge on the workplace at the same time: Generation X, the age cohort born ...

Story image for Gen X from Nation's Restaurant News
What Gen X consumers want from restaurants
Nation's Restaurant News-Aug 21, 2017
“I don't think [operators] realize how big Gen X is and how important they are. Their focus has been too narrow. They've overlooked an ..

Why Generation X Might Be Our Last, Best Hope
Vanity Fair-Aug 11, 2017
Demographics are destiny. We grew up in the world and mind of the baby-boomers simply because there were so many of them. They were the biggest, easiest, ...

Zero Hour for Generation X
City Journal-Aug 11, 2017
So what is Generation X? Born between about 1965 and 1980, Generation X came of age in the 1980s and early 1990s. The oldest members ...

Story image for Gen X from New York Post
Generation X needs to save America from millennials
New York Post-Aug 5, 2017
Born between about 1965 and 1980, Generation X came of age in the 1980s and early 1990s. The oldest members of this cohort remember ...

5 essential money tips for Generation X (NerdWallet)
cleveland.com-Aug 6, 2017
It's not your imagination, Generation X. The financial pressure cooker heats up with every candle added to your birthday cake. Between saving ...

Opinion Journal: Will Gen X Save America?
Wall Street Journal (subscription)-Aug 15, 2017
Associate Features Editor Matthew Hennessey on the last generation that learned patience and the value of hard work. Photo Credit: Getty ...

Vauxhall Motors Research Reveals Generation X Are Job Hoppers ...
Business Wire (press release)-Aug 23, 2017
LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With the spotlight often shining on the generation of 'millennials', the workplace trends of Generation X are often ...

NAMB July 2017 Survey Shows Gen X Dominates The Mortgage ...
Banker & Tradesman-Aug 9, 2017
Gen Xers dominate the market. Nearly half of respondents report that Generation X borrowers account for 36 percent to 75 percent of their ...

Generation X workers are as ambitious as their millennial counterparts
SmallBusiness.co.uk-Aug 25, 2017
With the spotlight often shining on the generation of 'millennials', the workplace trends of Generation X are often overlooked. New research ...

See, there is plenty of news about Gen X.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 5:44 pm

248RPA wrote:
I read that the Gen x population is small and sandwiched ...

Speaking of Gen X and sandwiches, http://www.nrn.com/consumer-trends/what ... estaurants
Quote:
“I don’t think [operators] realize how big Gen X is and how important they are. Their focus has been too narrow. They’ve overlooked an opportunity,” said NPD analyst Bonnie Riggs. “Right now, in today’s marketplace, you have to go after them.”

According to the latest NPD research, Generation X, or consumers ages 36 to 52, represents 20 percent of the population, about 22 percent of restaurant dollars and 23 percent of restaurant traffic. Those number aren’t far off from other consumer groups. Millennials, or consumers ages 21 to 35, represent 24 percent of the population, about 24 percent of restaurant dollars and 25 percent of restaurant traffic. And Baby Boomers, or consumers ages 53 to 71, represent 23 percent of the population, about 29 percent of restaurant dollars and 26 percent of restaurant traffic.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 5:51 pm

Xennial here - just on the edge, not GenX, not millennial, or both.

millennials got out of college into a post-crisis world.
I'm not sure in how far you are aware of how deep that crisis still is - but it destroyed the commonly held view that we in the west had figured out a stable way to run the world, one that is connected to prosperity and liberty under capitalism. It shook the western world in its core.
Millennials have a fundamentally different experience than their parent's generation- the boomers.
GenX shocked their parents in the nineties, but then got a job in advertising and everything was fine.

You'll get your spotlight when GenX clashes with whatever GenX's kids, who never knew a world in which part of their identity wasn't on facebook, will be called.
Just wait until they're in their twenties, and you are confronted with just how different they are.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Aug 2017, 8:26 am

shlaifu wrote:

I'm not sure in how far you are aware of how deep that crisis still is - but it destroyed the commonly held view that we in the west had figured out a stable way to run the world, one that is connected to prosperity and liberty under capitalism. It shook the western world in its core.
Millennials have a fundamentally different experience than their parent's generation- the boomers.
GenX shocked their parents in the nineties, but then got a job in advertising and everything was fine.

You'll get your spotlight when GenX clashes with whatever GenX's kids, who never knew a world in which part of their identity wasn't on facebook, will be called.
Just wait until they're in their twenties, and you are confronted with just how different they are.

Millennials' parents are rarely Baby Boomers, who are 40-50 years older than us. Our parents were born well after the war, in the 60s and 70s.

I also think you're rather exaggerating the depth of the crisis, which is now long over. We have bigger concerns, like healthcare and home ownership. The job market for graduates is very strong these days.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 11:19 am

...What do you understand to be the " start " and " finish " dates for each of these generations' birth dates?
Is it:
Baby Boomers - 1/01/46 to 12/31/64
Generation X - 1/01/58 to...??? ('58-'64 being " Generation Jones " , also.)
Millenials - ??? to...Supposedly, 9/11/01?
Plus, is rhe generation born post-the Millenials that's going to really start going to college in a couple years Generation Z? :? " Generation Y ", for they who ended up being called the Millenials, never caught on :wink: . I've seen Generation Z being thrown around a bit. BTW, are you aware of calling the, more or less, the generation that came of age after World War II was over, the post-" Greatest Generation ", pre-Boomers, generation the " Silent Generation "?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 12:00 pm

I was gonna ask that too.

There was the "Greatest Generation" who were the parents of the Boomers.

So they were adults (old enough to fight in WWII) when the oldest boomers were born.

But the younger boomers were born as late as either 1960 or 1964. So that pushes up the birth dates of "parents of boomers" all they up to the middle of the war.

So...
Greatest Generation are those born from the end of the first world war up to the end of the second world war (they could be infants up to draft age during the war- my parents, Martin Luther King, and Anne Frank, were all middleschool kids during the war- so they are all included).

Then boomers start with the end of the war 1946 to (some say 1960)most say 1964.
Then some put later boomers into "generation jones".

But lets ignore that for the moment.

So after boomers come folks born 1965 up to...?

Okay so how does it work?

There is gen X, Gen Y, and Millennials. So how do those three generations split up the remaining 36 years of the 20th Century?

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2017, 12:58 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Millennials' parents are rarely Baby Boomers, who are 40-50 years older than us. Our parents were born well after the war, in the 60s and 70s.

I also think you're rather exaggerating the depth of the crisis, which is now long over. We have bigger concerns, like healthcare and home ownership. The job market for graduates is very strong these days.

I was born in 1979, which is at the very cusp... Both my parents were born in the 1930s, but I remember in school people thought that was really "old" because most people my age were children of Baby Boomers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Aug 2017, 4:06 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

So they were adults (old enough to fight in WWII) when the oldest boomers were born.

But the younger boomers were born as late as either 1960 or 1964. So that pushes up the birth dates of "parents of boomers" all they up to the middle of the war.

So...
Greatest Generation are those born from the end of the first world war up to the end of the second world war (they could be infants up to draft age during the war- my parents, Martin Luther King, and Anne Frank, were all middleschool kids during the war- so they are all included).

Then boomers start with the end of the war 1946 to (some say 1960)most say 1964.

There is gen X, Gen Y, and Millennials. So how do those three generations split up the remaining 36 years of the 20th Century?

Gen Y and Millennials are different names for the same thing.

I'd class the generations as follows but really it's all just arbitrary:

Greatest Generation - up to 1929 (16 in 1945)
Silent Generation - 1929-1944
Baby Boomers - 1945-1959 (apparently my earlier cut off of 1955 is not supported by many people)
Gen X - 1960-1982 (people who will become adults before 2000)
Millennials - 1983-2000
no common name yet - 2000-present

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 4:40 pm

My parents and I are all gen x 8O

I do feel like we are less mentioned than boomers and millenials.

I did a search on YouTube a couple of months ago and there's way more boomers and y videos.

There was one entitled Gen x the forgotten generation.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 5:34 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

So...

Gen Y and Millennials are different names for the same thing.

I'd class the generations as follows but really it's all just arbitrary:

Greatest Generation - up to 1929 (16 in 1945)
Silent Generation - 1929-1944
Baby Boomers - 1945-1959 (apparently my earlier cut off of 1955 is not supported by many people)
Gen X - 1960-1982 (people who will become adults before 2000)
Millennials - 1983-2000
no common name yet - 2000-present

assuming people procreate at around 30, that means the older millennials are children of baby boomers.

yes, we all have jobs now (sort of), but we can't afford houses, or healthcare... how is that not a symptom of the crisis?
first, we couldn't afford to take the steps our parents took at the same age because we couldn't afford it, because we had no jobs - creating a schism between what our parents thought was "right" and what we were doing- and now we ... can't afford to take the same steps our parents did at the same age, prolonging the gap.

also: it used to be called work. or employment. but our generation is speaking of jobs. the next one will be speaking of gigs. and then, hopefully, UBI after that.

Again, I'm pretty damn sure GenX will get more attention once their children grow from now depressed teens into adults. Pretty sure some boomers will tell them they raised their kids wrong.