Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2017, 7:44 am

I have really fine, "baby" hair, soft and light so I could never grow it long. I've always wanted long, thick, wavy hair but all I can do is keep mine just around chin-length. I tried perms, volumizing products, supplements, but my hair has always been and will be really fine :/
I have a few long-haired cosplay wigs and oh damn it feels so fine to be able to swish the hair around! :D

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2017, 8:08 pm

I have extra long hair, but I don't like brushing my hair. I only comb and brush my hair twice a day, morning and before bed. I don't care about fashion. I wear a single plait every day.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 11:07 pm

Celtic people wore dreads, as seen in the video game Hell Blade: Senua's Sacrifice. Just saying!

My hair is currently longish at the front and short at at the back. Kind of like a reverse mullet, heh. The style is meant to be more suited to straight hair and mine is wavy at the sides so I straighten it if it needs it.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 11:23 pm

I'll just say that I really need to get my hair cut, but I don't have the time - and I hate to sit in that chair. Something is going to have to be done because it's almost to the middle of my butt! Crap.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 3:06 am

emmasma wrote:
Do you (women) prefer to have long or short hair?

I had very long hair up into my 30s. I grew up with hippies and we didn't cut it and didn't like people who did. Since the I cut my hair short. I have kept it very short for the last 5 years or so. I feel that it makes me look and feel more confident, and it looks good when I can keep it the right length.

Now I'm thinking about growing it out at least long enough to tie it back when I want. I was cutting it myself, with a 1 1/4 inch buzz cutter, but I had a partner who would clean up the back for me who I'm no longer with. I can't really afford to get it cut professionally all the time and it grows fast. I also miss the pretty wispy part by my face sometimes.

I have very thick unmanageable hair that is different textures in different areas. I never really learned how to style to the modern standards with products and hairdryers and whatever else people do to their hair. I more prefer to keep it natural, but I never really liked it. It was always just down and brushed or in a tail or braid.

Although I probably wont ever do it, I've considered dreads. I would have nice ones due to my thick hair. There are a lot of hippy type women with dreads and I think it looks good. It might be hard for jobs though. Also I am an extremely shy person and I don't think I have the personality to pull off a look that draws so much attention, especially since I live in a rural area where I would definitely stick out, and face disapproval. Plus some people talk bad about white people who have them. I am getting older now though, and don't have to be so up to date with current stuff. I could be that really bad a** mom with dreads, or would it just highlight my weirdness?

Sometimes I just wish everyone was bald so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Does anyone else here have problems figuring out what to do with their hair?

If you have the right hair type, and the dreds are well cared for and kept clean, then they can look decent. However there was a girl in one of my classes in college, with naturally straight hair, who had dreds that she did not take care of at all...I don't even think she washed her hair the entire time she had them, and her hair was a matted, greasy, unhygienic looking mess.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 12:59 am

Chronos wrote:
emmasma wrote:
Do you (women) prefer to have long or short hair?

I had very long hair up into my 30s. I grew up with hippies and we didn't cut it and didn't like people who did. Since the I cut my hair short. I have kept it very short for the last 5 years or so. I feel that it makes me look and feel more confident, and it looks good when I can keep it the right length.

Now I'm thinking about growing it out at least long enough to tie it back when I want. I was cutting it myself, with a 1 1/4 inch buzz cutter, but I had a partner who would clean up the back for me who I'm no longer with. I can't really afford to get it cut professionally all the time and it grows fast. I also miss the pretty wispy part by my face sometimes.

I have very thick unmanageable hair that is different textures in different areas. I never really learned how to style to the modern standards with products and hairdryers and whatever else people do to their hair. I more prefer to keep it natural, but I never really liked it. It was always just down and brushed or in a tail or braid.

Although I probably wont ever do it, I've considered dreads. I would have nice ones due to my thick hair. There are a lot of hippy type women with dreads and I think it looks good. It might be hard for jobs though. Also I am an extremely shy person and I don't think I have the personality to pull off a look that draws so much attention, especially since I live in a rural area where I would definitely stick out, and face disapproval. Plus some people talk bad about white people who have them. I am getting older now though, and don't have to be so up to date with current stuff. I could be that really bad a** mom with dreads, or would it just highlight my weirdness?

Sometimes I just wish everyone was bald so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Does anyone else here have problems figuring out what to do with their hair?

If you have the right hair type, and the dreds are well cared for and kept clean, then they can look decent. However there was a girl in one of my classes in college, with naturally straight hair, who had dreds that she did not take care of at all...I don't even think she washed her hair the entire time she had them, and her hair was a matted, greasy, unhygienic looking mess.

I do wash my dreads, you aren't supposed to wash them as much as undreaded hair but I have been having the issue of dandruff so that is not helping...but I suppose I could look online to see what people have done for dandruff while having dreads. I can't just put crap on my scalp for it because it might leave residue in the dreads.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 10:22 am

I have really long hair (almost waist length) and I love it. It is currently dark brown (faded from when I colored it black a few months ago). I want to color it bright red or blue, but I don't think my mom or my employer would like that :lol:

Khiori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2017, 11:47 am

Sorry, in advance for how long this is going to be, I've never had the chance to articulate how I feel about my hair before.

I just recently made a huge change with my hair. I've had thin, light blonde hair for most of my life that I kept really long, about waist length. I didn't even really trim it for most of my life because something about the sound and sensation of getting my hair cut really freaked me out. I started keeping it more trimmed in my mid-twenties because someone actually took me aside and told be it looked awful with all the split ends I had going on, which was pretty embarrassing. Up until two months ago I had never really done anything to my hair besides brush it.

As I got older my hair stated to shift to a darker blonde color, instead of the platinum it had been for most of my life. It sounds silly to say, but I actually started getting a bit depressed about my hair changing color without my control or consent, and I started hating it every time I looked in the mirror. It actually contributed to a problem I have recognizing my reflection sometimes.

Around this time, I also decided that I should look around for a free counseling service for some PTSD type symptoms that I have been dealing with for years. I found a resource, but for a long time I couldn't bring myself to actually go in and make an appointment, It was too big of a change and I didn't feel like I could handle it.

One day about two months ago I finally had enough of how unhappy my hair was making me, so I cut it off up to my shoulder blades and dyed most of it blue.I like blue and it makes me happy when I see it looking down at my hair. It was my blue-haired self that was finally able to make that appointment, so I guess the lesson here is to never underestimate how much of a change it can make in your life to have a hairstyle that makes you happy.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 11:05 pm

I am sticking to my boy haircut. It’s simple and cuts down on anyone thinking I’m trying to be attractive. Because I already give off weird signals from my dumb social inaptitude and the random things that I sometimes say , i don’t want people to read something into it.

If I maintain a tomboy persona I don’t have to worry about people treating me weird.

Also, very short hair is perfect for sensory issues. I don’t get the tug of pony tail or the annoyance of hair around my face.

If I had the face or head for it, I would get it buzzed off. However I would look ridiculous as my head shape is not right for that.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 11:13 pm

Mine is quite long. It's still strawberry blonde and wavy. Very thick still.

I tend to tie it back, or put it up in a dancer's knot, because it attracts attention if I let it down when I'm out and about, and I don't enjoy dealing with that. At home I let it down unless I'm doing housework.

But I like it and want to keep it for as long as I can - it does not yet look "too young" for me.

Weird true fact: my hair was beginning to grey, but when I retired, that reversed itself to an extent. I found numerous shed hairs that were white at the ends and dark at the roots - thus color returned to them, which I had no idea was possible.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2017, 11:23 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:

I tend to tie it back, or put it up in a dancer's knot, because it attracts attention if I let it down when I'm out and about, and I don't enjoy dealing with that. At home I let it down unless I'm doing housework.

But I like it and want to keep it for as long as I can - it does not yet look "too young" for me.

Weird true fact: my hair was beginning to grey, but when I retired, that reversed itself to an extent. I found numerous shed hairs that were white at the ends and dark at the roots - thus color returned to them, which I had no idea was possible.

Your hair sounds beautiful

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2017, 11:42 pm

Thank you :-) it's very low maintenance which is nice.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2017, 12:28 am

Short, and shaved on the sides. I just talked myself out of shaving it all so I definitely err on the side of punk short, and super short pixie. I'm trying to let it grow out a bit so I look less butch but it's hard for me. Once it gets a certain length the clippers come out because it won't behave lol. I can't stand the fly aways. My hair is thick and coarse.,

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 7:36 pm

Onyxaxe wrote:
Short, and shaved on the sides. I just talked myself out of shaving it all so I definitely err on the side of punk short, and super short pixie. I'm trying to let it grow out a bit so I look less butch but it's hard for me. Once it gets a certain length the clippers come out because it won't behave lol. I can't stand the fly aways. My hair is thick and coarse.,

I love the sound of that. Flyaways and stuff bother me too. Shaved on sides looks very neat and stylish. Who cares if you look butch...short hair is so much more comfy.

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2017, 7:42 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:

I envy you so. I like my color (auburn), but it's a fine, thin, curly bit of a mess.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2017, 8:36 pm

blooiejagwa wrote:
Onyxaxe wrote:

I love the sound of that. Flyaways and stuff bother me too. Shaved on sides looks very neat and stylish. Who cares if you look butch...short hair is so much more comfy.

Thank you so much. I'm becoming comfortable with my androgynous nature so this helps. It's weird how society makes you feel being butch is manly when it's really just being yourself. I'm only mistaken for a guy because of my height. Anyone that sees a man in my face needs to have their eyes checked. Not to be graphic but I'm not exactly flat chested either. Neat and tidy is the perfect way to explain this need for short hair with undercuts.