Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2017, 10:26 am

Do you (women) prefer to have long or short hair?

I had very long hair up into my 30s. I grew up with hippies and we didn't cut it and didn't like people who did. Since the I cut my hair short. I have kept it very short for the last 5 years or so. I feel that it makes me look and feel more confident, and it looks good when I can keep it the right length.

Now I'm thinking about growing it out at least long enough to tie it back when I want. I was cutting it myself, with a 1 1/4 inch buzz cutter, but I had a partner who would clean up the back for me who I'm no longer with. I can't really afford to get it cut professionally all the time and it grows fast. I also miss the pretty wispy part by my face sometimes.

I have very thick unmanageable hair that is different textures in different areas. I never really learned how to style to the modern standards with products and hairdryers and whatever else people do to their hair. I more prefer to keep it natural, but I never really liked it. It was always just down and brushed or in a tail or braid.

Although I probably wont ever do it, I've considered dreads. I would have nice ones due to my thick hair. There are a lot of hippy type women with dreads and I think it looks good. It might be hard for jobs though. Also I am an extremely shy person and I don't think I have the personality to pull off a look that draws so much attention, especially since I live in a rural area where I would definitely stick out, and face disapproval. Plus some people talk bad about white people who have them. I am getting older now though, and don't have to be so up to date with current stuff. I could be that really bad a** mom with dreads, or would it just highlight my weirdness?

Sometimes I just wish everyone was bald so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Does anyone else here have problems figuring out what to do with their hair?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 10:54 am

Yeah I've always been a bit bewildered about what to do with my hair. I have ridiculously thick hair. Even hairdressers find it hard to manage.

I used to just keep it long, but I've found a hairdresser who cuts it really nice. I have it just on my shoulders now. I'm going to keep going back to her.

But I can't do fancy up doos. I just put it in a pony tail or a bun or wear it down.

I wish I could figure out how to do something interesting with it, but i can't actually be bother putting the time in. It doesn't interest me enough.

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2017, 12:11 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I wish I could figure out how to do something interesting with it, but i can't actually be bother putting the time in. It doesn't interest me enough.

Yes I think this is my problem is well. It would probably be nice if I made it a priority :roll:

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 9:23 pm

I like my hair long. It look terrible short. My hair is very thick and gets tangled easily. I get quite a workout just from brushing it every day and every night. I usually wear it in a ponytail. My hair is too heavy for buns and high pony tails. I always break my hair ties and I go through brushes rather quickly.

MsGreen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Aug 2017, 10:20 am

I have medium length hair, but I have thought about cutting a pixie cut. Two things that makes me hesitate is firstly that I would have to keep it at right length for it to look good, which is more crucial the shorter the hair is. The second reason is that I really like to dress comfy and practical and not very feminine, so with short hair I might be percieved as more masculine than I would want to. The last mentioned reason is also why it would be nice to cut it off! Oh, it would be so practical with short hair. Another thought on haircuts is that I personally tend to have difficulty to know how to dress properly for occasions and how to express myself. Hence I like to keep to an as standard look as I can and feel comfortable with. :)

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2017, 4:45 pm

MsGreen wrote:
I have medium length hair, but I have thought about cutting a pixie cut. Two things that makes me hesitate is firstly that I would have to keep it at right length for it to look good, which is more crucial the shorter the hair is. The second reason is that I really like to dress comfy and practical and not very feminine, so with short hair I might be percieved as more masculine than I would want to. The last mentioned reason is also why it would be nice to cut it off! Oh, it would be so practical with short hair. Another thought on haircuts is that I personally tend to have difficulty to know how to dress properly for occasions and how to express myself. Hence I like to keep to an as standard look as I can and feel comfortable with. :)

I actually thing mine looks more feminine in a pixie cut, not more feminine maybe but more attractive if it is right length. I just got my eyebrows shaped for the first time in years. It makes a big difference especially with the short hair.
I'm really torn now because I'm trying to grow it back out, just to see because its been so long (since it was long). Now its all in between and super messy and yuck looking. I'm almost ready to just cut it again.

MsGreen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Aug 2017, 5:03 pm

emmasma wrote:
MsGreen wrote:

I actually thing mine looks more feminine in a pixie cut, not more feminine maybe but more attractive if it is right length. I just got my eyebrows shaped for the first time in years. It makes a big difference especially with the short hair.
I'm really torn now because I'm trying to grow it back out, just to see because its been so long (since it was long). Now its all in between and super messy and yuck looking. I'm almost ready to just cut it again.

Maybe a bit of topic, but do you have to do a lot of maintenance too keep your pixie cut good looking?

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2017, 5:45 pm

MsGreen wrote:
emmasma wrote:
MsGreen wrote:

Maybe a bit of topic, but do you have to do a lot of maintenance too keep your pixie cut good looking?

I just make it messy and add texture goop or comb it neatly and go I never really spend more than one minute on it when it is short. To keep it the right length it needs to be cut once per month.
I am not a big hair maintenance person though. If you wanted it to look styled, it may be more.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 6:44 pm

I have had my hair long, as well as shorter.

Currently I have it long and I actually do have dreads, though I have gotten the sides shaved so its not all long, just the dreads are long.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 6:57 pm

My hair is currently past my shoulders, grown out from a series of bob cuts from being shorn away in a moment of sublime understanding (that my prior plait probably had grown it's own brain by then and was secretly controlling me!)
I think I ultimately do prefer my hair long, I'm tall and gangly and have found that shorter hair makes me more androgynous than I personally prefer: but it's all been fun. I'll never keep my hair as long as it originally was however: waist-length even while plaited. Hair that length has it's downsides: one constantly sits on it, limited styles, plus total strangers would occasionally walk up to me in public and actually touch it.
The last time that happened I was still working in a health food shop on job experience, and a customer randomly walked up behind me and took hold of my plait. She seemed like a harmless, middle aged woman just wanting to compliment me (or my hair, I suppose) but there's something about visible, physical differences that makes others feel you've rescinded your right to having personal space.
A couple years back, dwelling on all of this, I hacked it off: freedom! Since then I've enjoyed having short hair and its encouraged me to experiment for the first time with styling. Recently I put myself through the madness of lightening from dyed dark; pretty beastly chemicals at hand but I finally got there. 8)

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 8:49 am

I've had both long and short hair, but these days it's long and I plan to keep it that way, simply because I think I look better with long hair. I mean my face is pretty round, but having long hair framing it makes it look skinnier than it is and I think that that looks better. Long hair does get in the way, especially if it's not tied, but this is one of those few things where I choose looking good over practicality.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2017, 5:14 pm

I prefer long hair, so most of the time, the longer the better, male or female. I might have a slight long hair obsession..... Mine is currently down to my tailbone, though I do think it looks most attractive if it ends around where my hips are (also, cut with a "v" shape, not straight across).

I can put my hair up in a bun in less than 10 seconds with nothing holding it up but my own hair. The bun is called the "nautilis bun" and I wouldn't be able to stand my long hair without it. If my hair is ever in the way or starts to annoy me, I just put it up into a bun.

While, as I've said, I prefer long hair, I do think short hair and pixie cuts can be very atttactive on females. I often see girls with short hair that I think look really cute and well put together. I think it just depends on the face whether long or short hair looks best, though I think anyone should do whatever they want with their hair, I know I do (I've had people say I should cut mine, but I'd never do something just because others want me to.)

As for men, what I find attractive is shoulder length or longer. Though sadly, because of the stereotypes of men with long hair, men seem to cut their hair to find a good job. 'Tis a tragedy! (I'm not actually shallow so having long hair or not means nothing to me as far as a potential boyfriend/spouse/whatever, I'm just very attracted to it :P ).

Okay, hair used to be a special interest of mine. I'm done rambling :P

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

mental
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2017, 3:14 am

(*very) short. I hate the feeling of longer hair in my neck, or hair waving around my head. Short as a kid, and now that I am 49, I don't bother at all with the latest fashion or how I look.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 8:28 am

I prefer to keep my hair long. I've had it all lengths over my lifetime -- in childhood my mother kept it in a "china doll" cut, a pageboy with bangs. At another point me and my sister were given pixie cuts -- I hate that look on me.

I grew that out to waist length hair and kept that through my teens and 20s, later cutting half-bangs and layers for more variation, especially in the 80s when those were in fashion.

At one point I did cut it up to shoulder length, then went to an untried salon to get a trim -- and they cut it right up to my ears before I noticed what was happening at the back. It is NOT a good look on me to have my hair that short.

I'm one of those people who look terrible with short hair no matter what, yet look completely different with an actual shot at looking "attractive" when it's long!

Some women are the opposite. Short hair makes me look plain and deformed. Long hair makes me look like I'm actually pretty -- it's like that episode of Seinfeld where that date of his looked like Quasimodo in a certain light, and stunningly beautiful in the next light. Hair does that to me. I cannot look good without longer hair.

I grew out my hair long again.

Cut it more to shoulder length in the 90s.

I now keep it somewhere around halfway down my back, halfway down my upper arm. It grows super fast so sometimes it's longer if I just haven't had the time to cut it. I've been cutting my own hair since 1980. I've learned how to cut layers so that it's not actually all one length but has texture, movement, frames my face and has, well, layers.

As I've gotten older, and I suspect I have a physical condition that messes with things, the texture has changed. I used to have very straight, silky hair I never had to smooth with stylers. I now have wavy hair! I never had wavy hair in my life. It's thicker and can get frizzy. If I get caught in the rain it now looks like a lion's mane. It's wild looking without styling or careful drying.

I've started not to care. Someone mistakenly believed I'm a hippy throwback just because of my long wild lion's hair and the loose clothing I was wearing this summer because of the heat.

I'm not a hippy I just have hair that grows miles per minute. Plus it's a statement now. There are those who think it should be cut or hidden at my age --- or for my gender. I let it flow free to show I say bollocks to that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 12:15 pm

I prefer short hair, I keep it shoulder length and I only keep it in a low pony tail and my bangs out of my face with a bobby pin.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sigarni
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2017, 5:27 am

As a child my mother insisted I have my hair medium long - primarily in a bob. My hair is extremely fine (read limp) and was prone to knotting which was painful to sort. As soon as I was able, I chose to have short hair - often shorter than my male friends.
I have a friend who is a hairdresser so she cuts my hair. It is still short, but she likes it slightly longer - about 3 inches. This way I do not have to do much - just brush it. I am not good with hair. I need a wash and wear style. Hair is a trigger issue for me. I know it is illogical but that doesn't make much of a difference.