Mandela Effect: false memories, gaslighting, scifi IRL?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you remember some of the common "false memories" regarding spellings, quotes, etc?
Yes, and I think they're true memories 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but I think they're false 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Maybe and leaning to true memories 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Maybe and leaning to false memories 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, but I think they may be true memories 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, and I think they may be false memories 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Simple yes. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe. 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Simple no. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 10:16 pm

Welcome to the Twilight Zone folks, has anyone heard of the Mandela Effect? Watching videos on Youtube about it, and before then for some things, I seem to relate too much to this. For me, I remember the terminator saying "I'll be Bach" as a mispronunciation of "back" rather than saying "baaack" basically. I remember the Berenstein Bears and a few other things, like "Search your feelings, Luke, I am your father" rather than "no", and "what if I told you everything you knew was a lie, that the world outside is not what it seems" and so forth. While misremembering things is certainly possible, what if it's not really misremembering? How many others remember a slightly different world with the things that people like Adam on Adam Ruins Everything point out to say, "you were wrong if you remembered it this way!"?

Is this an effect of memories? Is it just gaslighting like War of the Worlds? Is it somehow something more bizarre? Am I just in a coma since like May of 2013? :p :(

How many others remember the world like I do? Welcome to the Mandela Effect Club.

Last edited by Iamaparakeet on 28 Aug 2017, 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 10:21 pm

About a year ago a WP member named "BanDodger" started a bunch of threads about modern Flat Earthism, and threads about the Mandella Effect. So you're kinda late to the Mandella effect party.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 10:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
About a year ago a WP member named "BanDodger" started a bunch of threads about modern Flat Earthism, and threads about the Mandella Effect. So you're kinda late to the Mandella effect party.

Well, I've been gone for a while. Don't believe in the flat earth bullcrap myself. Remembering things differently though, that I so do. I had only heard of the Mandela effect as of a week ago. Oy my phone is acting slow now.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 10:29 pm

The Mandela Effect is funny when people don't take it seriously.

Unfortunately, there are some idiots who take it seriously.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 10:34 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
The Mandela Effect is funny when people don't take it seriously.

Unfortunately, there are some idiots who take it seriously.

Labelling people as idiots for not agreeing with you isn't cool dude.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 10:38 pm

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 1:53 am

It sucks when you can't even start a proper conversation. Oh wow, someone said something similar in the past, yay. Argh people.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 3:30 am

You gotta expect ridicule when you talk about something that is...ridicule-ous! Lol!

But I will bend over backwards to be even handed, and give two contrasting examples about the topic.

On one hand - a couple of weeks ago I was talking to a friend on the phone. Apparently she doesn't spend as much time on U-tube, and the net as I do- so she didn't yet know about the Mandela Effect. So I ask her "what was the name of that TV show starring Kim Cantrell, and Sarah Jessica Parker, etc ?" She said "Sex IN the City". I corrected her that it was "Sex AND the City", but added that that "in" is what I thought it was too, and that's what EVERYONE thinks it is". She admitted that "That IS kinda weird".

But on the other hand folks "remember that New Zealand used to be north of Australia". That's total BS. I remember reading about both countries since I was a gradeschool kid in the Sixties, and remember looking at globes and maps since then. They were always where they are now. And if the two landmasses had jumped around like that then one or the other or both would have had completely different climate and vegetation zones then they have now (you can get away with claiming continents jump around east and west, but not north and south).

Mandela effect my ass! That's folks being geographically illiterate.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 8:19 am

naturalplastic wrote:
You gotta expect ridicule when you talk about something that is...ridicule-ous! Lol!

But I will bend over backwards to be even handed, and give two contrasting examples about the topic.

On one hand - a couple of weeks ago I was talking to a friend on the phone. Apparently she doesn't spend as much time on U-tube, and the net as I do- so she didn't yet know about the Mandela Effect. So I ask her "what was the name of that TV show starring Kim Cantrell, and Sarah Jessica Parker, etc ?" She said "Sex IN the City". I corrected her that it was "Sex AND the City", but added that that "in" is what I thought it was too, and that's what EVERYONE thinks it is". She admitted that "That IS kinda weird".

But on the other hand folks "remember that New Zealand used to be north of Australia". That's total BS. I remember reading about both countries since I was a gradeschool kid in the Sixties, and remember looking at globes and maps since then. They were always where they are now. And if the two landmasses had jumped around like that then one or the other or both would have had completely different climate and vegetation zones then they have now (you can get away with claiming continents jump around east and west, but not north and south).

Mandela effect my ass! That's folks being geographically illiterate.

I had never heard of people mistaking New Guinea for New Zealand or the other errors regarding Terra Psittacorum, but that is interesting though.

I remembered the show being "Sex in the City". Berenstein is the spelling I remember.
The terminator said, "I'll bee bach"
It was "mirror, mirror".
The neighborhood.
Everything stopped making sense for me in 2013, about late May or June 17th at the latest, and it seems like it's almost as if I'm in a coma.

IDK, but if so many other people remember such things "wrong" so specifically, how is it truly that ridiculous? Sure it would be unlikely that it would be parallel universes, but if it were my first question is how the frell to get back and would Jackie be with me still? Most likely it is just false memories based on how languages change. Another possibility is intentional gaslighting, like with the War of the Worlds broadcast, to see how gullible people are to deny their own memories, perhaps so they can deny the Holocaust even faster before the last survivors pass away, or just as a sociology experiment testing how well the general public can be fooled without any more sinister twist apart from testing us foolish plebs by making us question our memories of the circuses they provide.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 8:21 am

I generally remember the same as this guy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 9:57 am

That's the nature of memories-----they tend to change over time.

They are not usually "absolutely correct"---and are less "correct" as time proceeds.

But they are usually "correct" in essence.

I guess a parent/guardian/whatever could "gaslight" a person either deliberately or unknowingly. It's not hard to do for memories of when you were 3-4 years of age.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 2:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's the nature of memories-----they tend to change over time.

They are not usually "absolutely correct"---and are less "correct" as time proceeds.

But they are usually "correct" in essence.

I guess a parent/guardian/whatever could "gaslight" a person either deliberately or unknowingly. It's not hard to do for memories of when you were 3-4 years of age.

Yes, I know memories are not absolute, but some things are just fairly bizarre to have remembered wrong, like much of the stuff this guy talks about:

I don't know how parents or guardians would factor into this, if it's gaslighting it's being done by a whole lot more people than just some messed up family's control freaks. It could be a sociology experiment by like Google and filmmakers and/or whoever else if it were intentional deception, for how much has changed it would have to be on a much larger scale than parents or a cult, it would need to be a ton of people changing things if it were done on purpose. It seems unlikely though, but who knows. In this age of information, whoever controls the information can rewrite history to be whatever they want it to be and if you remember it differently, you're "wrong". IDK. That is just one possibility of course.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 2:43 pm

This is both disturbing yet funny.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 2:54 pm

I don't know what's causing this, but something is wrong. For me it seems as though I've been living in Idiocracy Land since about sometime shortly after May 15th 2013 to June 17th 2013, (though it's been more like Hell since March 28th 2015 when Jackie physically left me, but it was around May or June of 2013 when everything started appearing wrong to me.) Somedays this all seems like some bizarre dream, but it's too real to be a dream, and so I guess I'm just living a nightmare. Jackie, I still love you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 7:24 pm

Twenty Thirteen?

The usual scapegoat that Mandela Effect believers cite as the supposed cause of the effect is the Cern Collider.

Once they started banging those atoms around in the tunnels of that big thing under the Alps it supposedly started to mess up our very timeline!

So when did the Cern Collider in Switzerland go online?

Was it mid 2013?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 7:34 pm

I remember the Barenstain/Berenstein bears thing from childhood but I think I can also spot the causal mechanics as well. I either ether read or had read to me Barenstain bears, at an age where like a lot of people I took things in uncritically and (of course) had no sense that I'd need to remember the correct spelling of Barenstain for later. Later I learned that the last-name suffix that went along with that was nearly always 'stein' so, it's quite likely that my mental spellchecker went on autocorrect based on probabilities.

Things like this to me are interesting because in a way they follow the same sort of rules that mentalists and illusionists exploit just that, well, they're the sorts of magic tricks that accrue over decades and in our own minds.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin