Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 1:37 am

I just accidentally went to a gayboy hookup.
This is why autistics (namely me) shouldn't socialize. I just completely misunderstand, every time.
I got a message from someone I used to know in the last city I lived in, inviting me to a "tea and cakes" do. I knew him through a group when I lived there, not very well but he seemed like a nice enough chap as was his boyfriend, so I thought I better put in an appearance, since I never get invited to things by people.
This guy had a bit of a tea craze on when I knew him, and I extrapolated from there that this invitation was literally relating to tea and cakes. Like a teaparty - sit around and talk and drink good tea and eat cake. Simple enough.
But when I got there it was a gayboy hookup. Everyone was there to cruise, purely looking for someone physically attractive enough to go home and have sex with and then never see again.
Hookups are not my thing. If I was to get into a relationship, I explicitly do not want it based on sex. I want it based on substance. To be about who me and the other person are, not what our bodies are.
Thus it was incredibly awkward standing around as if I had known in advance that this was a hookup and I thought I was hookup material. Which I don't, and I'm not.
Why is everything queer just a hookup recently??? I've had this before, even at support groups. You go there just looking for some people who don't think you're a massive freak for being queer for once in your life, and all you get is judged by others based on whether or not they'd screw you, because all they're doing there is looking for sex.
I had wanted to attend queer events, groups, have more queer connections fr just that - likeminded connections. But I can't seem to get past this constant hookup thing.
Anyone else finding this? Can you find queer events, groups, and people who aren't just in it for sex?

torch_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2017, 4:47 am

Yeah all the queer places I try are all sex obsessed too. Grindr, Scruff etc. They all just want NSA. No friendships or romance.

exy34
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2017, 9:29 am

C2V wrote:
I just accidentally went to a gayboy hookup.
This is why autistics (namely me) shouldn't socialize. I just completely misunderstand, every time.
I got a message from someone I used to know in the last city I lived in, inviting me to a "tea and cakes" do. I knew him through a group when I lived there, not very well but he seemed like a nice enough chap as was his boyfriend, so I thought I better put in an appearance, since I never get invited to things by people.
This guy had a bit of a tea craze on when I knew him, and I extrapolated from there that this invitation was literally relating to tea and cakes. Like a teaparty - sit around and talk and drink good tea and eat cake. Simple enough.
But when I got there it was a gayboy hookup. Everyone was there to cruise, purely looking for someone physically attractive enough to go home and have sex with and then never see again.
Hookups are not my thing. If I was to get into a relationship, I explicitly do not want it based on sex. I want it based on substance. To be about who me and the other person are, not what our bodies are.
Thus it was incredibly awkward standing around as if I had known in advance that this was a hookup and I thought I was hookup material. Which I don't, and I'm not.
Why is everything queer just a hookup recently??? I've had this before, even at support groups. You go there just looking for some people who don't think you're a massive freak for being queer for once in your life, and all you get is judged by others based on whether or not they'd screw you, because all they're doing there is looking for sex.
I had wanted to attend queer events, groups, have more queer connections fr just that - likeminded connections. But I can't seem to get past this constant hookup thing.
Anyone else finding this? Can you find queer events, groups, and people who aren't just in it for sex?

Don't have answer because I am sharing previous poster ("torch_") opinion: "... all the queer places I try are all sex obsessed too. Grindr, Scruff etc...."

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2017, 10:20 am

Grindr, Scruff etc are hookup apps, that is what they are for. That said there are a surprising number of guys on them looking for more, but the environment is not conducive to this actually working.

You are much better off either using specific romantic dating sites, most now cater for gays, or IMO the best option is to find people through your interests. My ex, the only bf I've had, I found because he messaged me randomly on Facebook. I never actually asked how he found me but I imagine it was because around the same time I joined some interest groups we were both part of.

That said I'm quite the opposite I prefer hookups simply because in my current situation I don't see a relationship as an option.

exy34
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2018, 1:31 pm

thewheel wrote:
Grindr, Scruff etc are hookup apps, that is what they are for. That said there are a surprising number of guys on them looking for more, but the environment is not conducive to this actually working.

You are much better off either using specific romantic dating sites, most now cater for gays, or IMO the best option is to find people through your interests. My ex, the only bf I've had, I found because he messaged me randomly on Facebook. I never actually asked how he found me but I imagine it was because around the same time I joined some interest groups we were both part of.

That said I'm quite the opposite I prefer hookups simply because in my current situation I don't see a relationship as an option.

Well, this makes sense...Thanks for sharing your experiences.

paintmepink
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2018, 3:04 pm

When I was apart of the cross dressing/LGBTQ scene, everything was a hook up. Makes me question the validity of some people's choices regarding their gender or sexual orientation. Perhaps it wasn't genetics that makes them act like animals in heat.

exy34
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2018, 6:54 am

paintmepink wrote:
When I was apart of the cross dressing/LGBTQ scene, everything was a hook up. Makes me question the validity of some people's choices regarding their gender or sexual orientation. Perhaps it wasn't genetics that makes them act like animals in heat.

I know what you are talking about :)

Arkena
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2018, 6:29 pm

People are like this who have high sex drives, its pretty normal, they assume your like them and can read the subtext...an interesting NT concept...

Ive had a high sex drive in the past but after a relationship with a female found myself a bit of a sex addict which when you dont have the social skills to satisfy said desires becomes painful and frustrating.

People do what they enjoy and unfortunately for people who dont feel the same what a lot of people like is sex.
Its perfectly normal and healthy given its protected.

But i do understand the need for relationships of substance....would like to know how to get a bf where there was a relationship and wasnt all about the sex...

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2018, 9:48 pm

Funny enough, I feel the exact same way about the lesbian scene.

It feels super shallow and callous and there are A LOT of sex addicts walking around screaming about 'sex positivity' when most are really just into scumbag sex. Sometimes I see little difference between them and straight guys.

Personally I feel like hook up culture is totally ruining the lgbt scene. The lack of stability and shallowness means a lot of insecurities due to the lack of security and stability

Arkena
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2018, 7:28 am

I have to confess i dont feel very impartial on this topic as have noticed a lot of autistic people where i live (in supported accomodation) are sexually inhibited ie: never had gfs/virgins from 26 or beyond into 50's, are unable to open up about sexuality, approach girls etc and talk as if this is healthy sexual behaviour and everyone else is abnormal.

I dont know if this is asexual behaviour but in my limited view when someone has sex, decides they dont like it and doesnt have sex for 14 years, this isnt healthy.

I suppose it all depends on if the views of the LGBT scenes hookup culture is made up by individuals with a healthy sexuality.

Again not denying that emotions and love are important in a relationship. How many people are looking for relationships in the scene though?

I know f**k buddies etc has become a bigger part of straight culture as well.