is 12 too old to play with legos?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 2:39 pm

when my 12 y/o spends a weekend at mine he always asks me to get the legos down and he sits up the table with legos for hours. But he is into hanging out with mates too and he knows a boy from his school who lives near me and said he could knock round sometimes when he comes to stay with me. Will my son get picked on if his mates found out he plays with legos or is it still ok to play with legos at 12 ? Im autistic so im not really up with this kind of stuff and I only see my son twice a month as he lives with his dad.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 4:35 am

I still like Lego blocks, and I am an adult. I think it depends on the kid. If it is a special interest of his, I cannot imagine he does not talk about it to his friend--so if the friend wanted to reject him on that basis, I presume he would have already done so.

Besides, I don't know that it is good to micromanage friendships of your kids unless there is a really compelling reason like safety or something. If the friend does not want to play with them, he will probably say so. If he is a friend he should not make fun of him, either. That would usually be a group thing anyway, like if there were multiple boys there who wanted to pretend they were cool at his expense--or something.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 4:41 am

Q: is 12 too old to play with legos?
A: Nobody is too old to play with Legos!

For instance: https://youtu.be/bvPreg-6D9c

Quote:
Scott Manley
Published on Jun 2, 2017
Finally, after months of waiting I got in line at a Lego Store yesterday morning and came away with the newly released Saturn V set. For $120 you get a set with 1969 pieces standing 1 meter tall (to scale with 'trophy' models). It took me about 6 hours, on and off to build, interrupted by putting kids to bed and clearing up kitty barf, but in the end the set is amazing. The designers came up with a bunch of build tricks I'd never seen before in Lego and there aren't any custom molded parts, just a few painted pieces.

Live Saturn V Build! Part 1 (been 25 years since she's built with Legos!)
Amy Shira Teitel Vintage Space
https://youtu.be/6z7mMISNEy0
Quote:
Vintage Space
Streamed live on Jun 16, 2017
Want weekly Vintage Space ? Don't forget to subscribe!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 5:02 am

Researchers at MIT are using Legos to build interactive transportation maps
CityLab
Linda Poon, CityLab
Apr. 24, 2016, 6:52 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/mit-using-legos-for-city-planning-2016-4

Cambridge Engineers Use LEGO Bricks to Grow Synthetic Bone
03/29/2012
under Design, Design for Health, Green Materials, Innovation, News
http://inhabitat.com/lego-is-helping-cambridge-engineers-grow-synthetic-bone/

Apple engineer uses Lego to rebuild ancient Greek mechanism, will surely try to patent it (video)
Vlad Savov
https://www.engadget.com/2010/12/10/apple-engineer-uses-lego-to-rebuild-ancient-greek-mechanism-wil/

GOOD NEWS 01/12/2015 05:18 pm ET Updated Jan 12, 2015
Tortoise Gets Wheelchair Made From Legos, Skates Around Like A Pro
By Kimberly Yam
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/12/tortoise-lego-wheelchair-_n_6458142.html

Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Caltech Engineers Use Legos, Google Smartphone For Smart Petri Dish
http://www.socaltech.com/caltech_engine ... 38670.html

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 8:00 am

A recent movie depicts two young men old enough to date playing with Legos. As I see it, $500 Lego sets aren't for young kids.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Aug 2017, 8:45 am

Last Christmas I bought my husband Lego 42055 - and we had so much fun building it all the New Year Eve night :> But now it's rebuilt into a tank and a plane because why not.
Lego bricks are awesome!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 11:18 am

He might get picked on for it. Kids that age will pick on anyone, for anything.

But no, 12 is not too old to play with Legos. I'm 39. I have a husband and four kids and a house to keep. I still play with Legos.

There are worse things in this world-- and some of them are things that people do to "look mature" and that society smiles on-- than playing with Legos.

MountainMan21
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Aug 2017, 6:19 pm

Caz72 wrote:
when my 12 y/o spends a weekend at mine he always asks me to get the legos down and he sits up the table with legos for hours. But he is into hanging out with mates too and he knows a boy from his school who lives near me and said he could knock round sometimes when he comes to stay with me. Will my son get picked on if his mates found out he plays with legos or is it still ok to play with legos at 12 ? Im autistic so im not really up with this kind of stuff and I only see my son twice a month as he lives with his dad.

I think that the likelihood of him getting picked on for playing with legos is very low to none, particularly with the pop culture relevance of the Lego Movies, and the fact that Minecraft has lego sets. Not to mention teens in his age group are likely playing minecraft so he should be perfectly fine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 4:58 am

I played with legos at 15. My mum had to buy me a whole new box of legos to add to the tons of lego I already had. :)

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 5:06 am

Now that I think of it by reading this thread I guess it sounds ok :D .

My son has got to the age where hes out and about with mates and as an autistic mother with a neurotypical son this can sometimes get confusing for me of whats socially acceptable and whats not.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 1:19 am

I saw Ed Sheeran on a talk show and he was asked what sort of things he had bought since he became successful and he said he was walking past Hamleys, a big toy shop in London, and he saw the Lego death star and thought 'why not!' He had a ball making it so if it's cool enough for Ed to enjoy Lego then it's cool for anyone, at least in view.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2017, 1:37 pm

Lego's are awesome for any age, but then again kids can be as*holes and pick on one another over any stupid thing. Plus if he loves this, why hide it? Maybe it will be a bonding point with the other kid.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 3:38 am

When I was little I had a babysitter who was in her teens and loved legos; it was like her favorite thing ever, even above Nintendo.

Let him play with his legos; just SUGGEST to him and warn him that others might pick on him if he does it a lot in public. Let it be his choice to do what he loves freely or restrain himself IF HE WANTS to be friends with those as*holes.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 9:17 pm

It depends on how he's playing with them. Is he engineering structures with them? I'm sure he will find other kids who still play with legos. At my local library, there was a LEGO club filled with all middle schoolers (Age 12 thru 14)

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:10 am

bunnyb wrote:
I saw Ed Sheeran on a talk show and he was asked what sort of things he had bought since he became successful and he said he was walking past Hamleys, a big toy shop in London, and he saw the Lego death star and thought 'why not!' He had a ball making it so if it's cool enough for Ed to enjoy Lego then it's cool for anyone, at least in view.

A lot of musicians are on the spectrum not to mention that Sheeran is chock full of neanderthal DNA.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 1:43 pm

I'm almost 43 and I still play with Legos.