Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Kristaok
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2018, 1:18 pm

Tolerance works both ways.

Also I think to the lgbtq tolerance to them equals accepting / agreeing / approving of their lifestyle. Here's the thing, tolerance doesn't equal approval, AND why does tolerance only apply to them? Why can't they show tolerance to those who disagree with that lifestyle choice?

The LGBTQ say they just want the freedom to live their lives, well that's great right?! but the truth is living their lives is not enough, they want to force everyone to accept them. I'm not against them living their lives, but I am against them forcing their sexuality choices on others.

If the LGBTQ are truly happy then why can't they just live their lives? Why must they worry constantly about acceptance? Why does it matter what others think? Why do they insist on throwing parades in the streets disrupting traffic, while walking around half naked in front of little kids? Why do they threaten to shut business down like bakeries that use their religious rights to not serve a cake that features gay icons? or threaten to sue and have someone fired that won't marry them? the list goes on...

So having an opinion that being lgbtq is not normal does not equal intolerant, everyone deserves the right to an opinion as long as that opinion does not harm another's physical person.

The lgbtq want to be a protected class, soon it will be a crime (hate speech) to even disagree with that lifestyle... It's all silly... I miss the days when people weren't so thin skinned, if kids or anyone else was bullied they either got over it or took matters into their own hands, now we are in this weird whiny baby era where nobody can take any differing view / opinion.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 6:56 am

To OP, you are too paranoid. It is the natural political progression. New views and ideas are gradually accepted by society but the older people get, the more conservative they get, whereas younger people drive the progression. The progressives of today, will mostly be the conservatives of tomorrow, because your current "liberal" views will some day be outdated.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2018, 2:32 pm

Aniihya wrote:
To OP, you are too paranoid. It is the natural political progression. New views and ideas are gradually accepted by society but the older people get, the more conservative they get, whereas younger people drive the progression. The progressives of today, will mostly be the conservatives of tomorrow, because your current "liberal" views will some day be outdated.

Where on earth did you get the idea of bringing this into the thread? This has nothing to do with politics as far as I'm concerned. You're reading into something more than you should or didn't bother to read what I said.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2018, 2:42 pm

Kristaok wrote:

Also I think to the lgbtq tolerance to them equals accepting / agreeing / approving of their lifestyle. Here's the thing, tolerance doesn't equal approval, AND why does tolerance only apply to them? Why can't they show tolerance to those who disagree with that lifestyle choice?

The LGBTQ say they just want the freedom to live their lives, well that's great right?! but the truth is living their lives is not enough, they want to force everyone to accept them. I'm not against them living their lives, but I am against them forcing their sexuality choices on others.

If the LGBTQ are truly happy then why can't they just live their lives? Why must they worry constantly about acceptance? Why does it matter what others think? Why do they insist on throwing parades in the streets disrupting traffic, while walking around half naked in front of little kids? Why do they threaten to shut business down like bakeries that use their religious rights to not serve a cake that features gay icons? or threaten to sue and have someone fired that won't marry them? the list goes on...

So having an opinion that being lgbtq is not normal does not equal intolerant, everyone deserves the right to an opinion as long as that opinion does not harm another's physical person.

The lgbtq want to be a protected class, soon it will be a crime (hate speech) to even disagree with that lifestyle... It's all silly... I miss the days when people weren't so thin skinned, if kids or anyone else was bullied they either got over it or took matters into their own hands, now we are in this weird whiny baby era where nobody can take any differing view / opinion.

You have your right to your own opinion as well. The thing is that people of all walks of life are doing the same things you just described so the LGBT movement isn't unique in that regard. My own personal opinion on that is a person has the right to say what's on their mind; if someone says junk to my face I'll do it back to them whether they think it's right or not.

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2019, 10:46 am

:x

Kristaok wrote:

Right.

Tolerance is really all we can ask for. We can't force people to support or agree with homosexuality, and nor should we. One of the things that makes the USA great is that we have freedom of speech and freedom of expression; we're able to have our own beliefs and express them while being protected by the government (supposedly). I believe people have the right to have their opinions, and I'm not going to shove my opinions down their throats if they don't want them. All I want is to have the same civil rights as a heterosexual person and be safe from violence, that's all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:42 pm

aikoinazuma wrote:
Is Tolerance Of LGBT People For Real?
Yes, but it's neither universal nor complete.

(Disclosure: I am a gynotropic cis-male.)

You will find communities where an individual's sexuality is more-or-less ignored, but only as long as that individual is a productive and law-abiding member of the community; then, the slightest infraction of social or legal imperatives will evoke all kinds of nastiness toward that person for their sexuality -- "Oh, all people like him are like that" would be a common theme.

Here is a saying that applies to women: "Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good..." (Charlotte Elizabeth Whitton, OC, CBE; 1896-1975, Canadian feminist and mayor of Ottawa).

A similar quote might be:

""Whatever genderfluid people do they must do twice as well as the traditional biploar sexes to be thought half as good..."

The "tolerance" you experience is not always fake. Most of the time (imho) it's just not very well-developed or deeply rooted. It's going to take many generations before the level of acceptance you desire becomes normal in American society.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 6:33 pm

Let's not forget that we have an openly homophobic president and vice president in the office right now who are trying their damnest to ban gay marriage and bring back the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 8:52 am

Tokenism?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 8:58 am

In the 1970s, we couldn't even talk about gay people at the dinner table.

Until very recently, "consensual sodomy" was a misdemeanor crime in New York State (though I've never seen anybody charged with it since I started working in the courts in 1980).

Now, they are able to get married in many states. Even if they are unable to get married, most states provide the same legal rights to gay couples as provided for heterosexual couples.

The LGBTQ, etc community has come a long ways in the past 50 years.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2019, 10:41 pm

My Brother-in-law, who is a fundamentalist, dominionist, christian, will make barbs about vegan topics during Christmas to get me to act triggered; which always fails :roll: He has however never, and would never, make a barb about my being in a long-term gay relationship. I would say that shows some kind of ground gained. When you know people it is harder to hate them than from afar.

I believe it is positive media representation that has made the difference. :)
Stay vigilant, positive and principled in your solidarity! Pax

GreySavoy
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2019, 4:52 pm

Progress has been made, but it's far from complete. Tolerance isn't the same as acceptance, and imo, isn't enough. Even within the LGBT+ community there are still issues. I feel a deep dismay for the exclusion I see from the other letters in that acronym towards people who are trans, especially in US society where the current administration is trying to erase them from existence.

Things have overall improved in many ways. I hope and think that they will continue to improve, but I don't think that we will ever truly be done.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2019, 11:50 pm

It is true...

Pride Parade is still important to go to, but if you have a Trans rights event, I feel like that takes preference for solidarity sake. I especially feel so sad when I hear about how hard of a life racial minorities who are Trans have. From what I understand the stories and statistics are horrid.

They deserve better out of life.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 5:05 am

It is like a sliding scale, right? Some places you will hear people say that the goal is already reached, because of things like representation. Some places you see people yell back like telling people to stop stuffing gay down their throat, with the implication that they are plenty tolerant because they are not calling for arrests simply for being LGBT. While some places on the internet you see that people treat the idea of LGBT people as a joke, or say that they should just die.

On some levels things have moved forward, while in some places it has simply become wrong to be seen spouting things like homophobia and transphobia so they keep it hidden. Things are better, but I don't think they have reached some end game when I can comment in certain communities, and expect like I am some sort of preaching and wrong SJW for simply saying that the use of an anime "trap" character is unfortunate. Pretty much told to F off for trying to question if something might not be very good representation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 9:59 am

What's so wrong with "Don't ask, don't tell"?

I mean, how people "enjoy each other in the bedroom" (euphemistically speaking) really is no one else's business.

If anything, the phrase should be amended to read, "Don't ask, don't tell, don't need to know" and left at that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2019, 2:31 pm

What's so wrong with "Don't ask, don't tell"?

I mean, how people "enjoy each other in the bedroom" (euphemistically speaking) really is no one else's business.

If anything, the phrase should be amended to read, "Don't ask, don't tell, don't need to know" and left at that.

The problem with "Don't ask, don't tell" is that for some people they don't have to say anything. For those in a discriminated against minority, not speaking up is a great recipe for allowing greater prejudice. You gotta be woke.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 2:39 pm

Nobody has "gotta be woke". Instead, if what someone else is doing is not causing or threatening to cause harm to you, them, or someone else, and they are not breaking the law, then simply leave them alone.

I mean, it's not as if a sausage party two towns over is going to give you pernicious leukemia, right?