Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

iluvgod
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2017, 7:38 pm

Hello all. One of my goals is to be fluent in another language and I either want to learn Spanish or Portuguese. I am considering Spanish because, as a teacher, I have alot of Spanish speaking parents and students. I would like to be able to communicate with them. I also like Spanish culture and would love to be able to understand native speakers when I watch Spanish tv. I am also considering Portuguese because I have a girlfriend who lived in the Azores and her father's English really isn't that good. My area has a big Portuguese population. Which one should I go for

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 2:24 am

Whichever one you learn you will understand about 80 percent understand the other. They are close cousin languages. But it sounds like Spanish would be the more relevant of the two for you.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 31 Aug 2017, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 2:32 am

Spanish!
I'm learning Spanish myself, but I do spend quite a bit of time in Spain. Portugese is very similar to Spanish when you see it written down, but sounds very different when you hear it. Even so, once you get the pronunciation right you should make the crossover quite easily.
The difficult bit for me is getting my ear in... understanding what native speakers are saying. If you are dealing with native speakers a lot, then you already have a natural advantage.
For listening to the language I find the Yabla app very useful. I also watch Spanish tv for free... google RTVE.
Good luck.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame