Page 16 of 66 [ 1055 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 66  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 2:32 pm

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 2:47 pm

Classic, and I remember Fabio saying he's cried nostalgia tears a few times he threw this in.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 2:58 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 8:28 am

Something from this month:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 4:34 pm

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2018, 9:02 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 8:53 pm

There's a tube-bell melody in this that's really familiar to me, ie. I'd almost bet he pulled it in from an Octane and DLR mix competition bag (and I still remember using it centrally in my own work).

Either way he killed it with class as always.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 8:57 pm

grahambaster wrote:

Great tune, and I have to raise it the flip:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 9:00 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 1:17 am

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2018, 10:24 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Great tune, and I have to raise it the flip

I was entroduced to both those works in the late 90's via:

~ discogs

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 11:17 am

From your location tag I'm curious if you're familiar with DJ 3D and his late 90's mixes like Live @ The Next Level, Rollers Technique, So Damn Tuff, etc.. Cleveland and Pittsburgh took their jungle pretty seriously and I probably got relatively spoiled on that circuit.

Some of my friends were dj'ing from 1997 onward and so I got to listen to a lot of Virus, No U Turn, V Recordings, Prototype, RAM, New Identity, etc. John B, Ed Rush, Optical, Nico, Dillinja, back when they were throwing down dark and heavy - that's sorta what I grew up on. In a way 3D was spinning the way a lot my friends wanted to spin but on the regional/national level. Don't get me wrong - Phantom 45, AK1200, Danny the Wildchild, Odi, all those guys were good but I think 3D's taste in mixes was probably my favorite.

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2018, 12:04 pm

My experience with DNB is limited to a handful+ of cd's (not familiar with DJ 3D) and I did see spring heel jack live once. (i'm from minneapolis) During those years of discovering this music was very special tho and will always be.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 9:30 pm

Not a lot is up on Youtube in full format, though this was one I got maybe early/mid 2000 and got a good amount of mileage out of. Like a lot of his mixes it starts light and gets increasingly tech-steppy until it's Aliens/Blade-Runner business by somewhere in the back half of Side A (Radar by Goodfellas and Code Name John's Structure of Red is about where that turn comes in this mix) and stays there for most of the remainder of the mix:

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2018, 12:45 am

I saw Grooverider's Mysteries Of Funk album CD on sale for $7 on Amazon and I hopped on it. I remember you techstep sharing some of his songs in the trip hop thread. Roya Arab's singing style in Rainbow Of Colours threw me off since I'm use to how she sings in Londinium and other songs but still it interested me. Such a shame she only provides vocals for one song.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2018, 6:37 am

It's a powerful album. A lot of my friends had mixed thoughts on it, I think mainly because there were only a few dancefloor tracks (Where's Jack, 560 Degrees) but it explored a lot of really interesting peripheral concepts and the tracks built well in order.