Page 5 of 66 [ 1054 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 66  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 8:28 pm

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 9:07 pm

Very classic mix that I've also been listening to for almost 20 years

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 8:41 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 11:03 pm

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2017, 2:33 am

I like a couple of songs on that Fabio & Cleveland Watkiss compilation.

Chameleon - Links is pretty good.

In that Dilinja song I hear some sort of high pitch vocal that sounds like it is saying fifth or something, I hear that in some drum & bass songs what is the origin of it?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 7:46 am

SnailHail wrote:
In that Dilinja song I hear some sort of high pitch vocal that sounds like it is saying fifth or something, I hear that in some drum & bass songs what is the origin of it?

AFAIK it's just a vocal stab. It's one of many areas dnb borrows from hip hop.

Another bit of recycling I've heard over the years are these symbols. The second on this list also has the Juno 'what the...' which is another super-rinsed sound, gets used a lot in dnb and you hear it real prolifically in Doc Scott's Unofficial Ghost. I think some things just become traditional elements over time and they help latch a particular new piece of music in with that tradition (also not unlike hip hop).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 9:44 pm

Wow, this is breathtakingly gorgeous. I'll have to see if I can chase down the mix it was chopped from.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 3:26 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 3:32 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 10:42 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 11:15 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 1:19 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 1:31 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 4:42 pm

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2017, 9:18 pm

I discovered another trip hop/nu jazz artist that uses drum & bass. The song 'Deeper' is using that vocal stab I was talking about in my last post on this thread.

I'm not sure if 'Only One' has a BPM fast enough to be considered drum & bass

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 9:48 pm

I might have a couple for ya actually but outbound, ie. dnb remixes of trip-hop tracks. The Grooverider remix of Bachelorette is really ill, a lot of the ambient groans show up again later in the background of Where's Jack The Ripper.

Bjork - Bachelorette (Grooverider Jeep Remix) 1997:

Morcheeba - The Sea (Stakka & Skynet Remix) 1998: