How To Fix Poverty: Why Not Just Give People Money?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 10:57 pm

Quote:
No one expects that type of aid to permanently lift people out of poverty. So it would be enough for this experiment to show that just giving poor people cash is more efficient and effective.

"Let them make the choices," says Faye. "Because the poor are pretty good at making them."

Only they can know the damage that poverty does to each individual. And it's not just the tangible deprivations.

For Odero, what poverty really stole from him was his dignity. And the couch set is what has given it back. He no longer feels like the village invalid, the guy who always has to depend on everyone else, who can't ever be the host. Now he can invite people over — and offer them a place to sit.

"I feel like now I can be counted as a person," he says.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/08/07/541609649/how-to-fix-poverty-why-not-just-give-people-money

Quote:
Yes, agrees Bentah. "It was a little bit gloomy."

But now, figuring out how to spend the charity windfall has become a hopeful, joint project. Adding up their budget has become a monthly ritual. And it's got them doing other fun stuff together. Going on shopping excursions to the market. And, says Otieno, strolling around the village, hand-in-hand.

"It's not normal in our village for couples to walk this way," he adds, grinning a little sheepishly. "But it's like we're married the other day."

"You mean like newlyweds?" I ask.

"Yes," he says, laughing. "You're right."

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:22 pm

Quote:
But now, figuring out how to spend the charity windfall has become a hopeful,

And here is the problem. Most people who say they want to have a million bucks, do not want to own a million bucks but spend that much. Just giving poor people money without teaching them how to manage money will do no good for them in the long run.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:27 pm

If you just give poor people money, then the billionaires still control the government.

Thus, the real source of all these problems hasn't been addressed.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:36 pm

Sigbold wrote:
Just giving poor people money without teaching them how to manage money will do no good for them in the long run.
Then you need to get up and go teach them, don't you.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:41 pm

Sigbold wrote:
Quote:

And here is the problem. Most people who say they want to have a million bucks, do not want to own a million bucks but spend that much. Just giving poor people money without teaching them how to manage money will do no good for them in the long run.

Being poor is not a symptom of not knowing how to manage money. It's a symptom of not having a lot of money to manage. I had to do significantly more budgeting and planning when I was very poor than I do now.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:05 am

Chronos wrote:
Sigbold wrote:
Quote:

Being poor is not a symptom of not knowing how to manage money. It's a symptom of not having a lot of money to manage. I had to do significantly more budgeting and planning when I was very poor than I do now.

If we want to end poverty, we need to get to the real root cause and stop blaming the victims.

This means we must overthrow the most powerful people on the planet and get past their "conservative" stooges. It will be one Hell of a struggle, but it will all be worth it in the end.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:42 am

They've been giving to poor Africans all my life, and it hasn't solved African poverty.

Africa is expected to add billions of more people in the next fifty years.

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 30 Aug 2017, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:46 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
They've been giving to poor Africans all my life, and it hasn't solved African poverty.

... because they also give to African dictators.

Our billionaire overlords use Africa as a source of cheap labor. That's the real reason why Africa is in such a mess.

Quote:

We need a better social safety net, or else we won't be able to feed all these people.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:47 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

Are we just supposed to let them die? If so, try explaining why to the African mother of starving children.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 1:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Are we just supposed to let them die? If so, try explaining why to the African mother of starving children.

It's the same principal as "Don't feed the birds" ...

People need hardship so they make the choice not to have kids, and continue the cycle.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 1:16 am

Chronos wrote:
Sigbold wrote:
Quote:

Everyone's different but for many I'd say it's a bit of both. In the UK those on welfare or in rent arrears still smoke and drink so there are elements of poor choices too.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 1:16 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

People need hardship so they make the choice not to have kids, and continue the cycle.

That is extremely hard hearted. Human beings are not birds. I thought conservatives were supposed to put a premium on human life. Just imagine if that was a hard-and-fast rule; chances are, you wouldn't exist because you and everybody else has had ancestors who had lived in abysmal poverty in which they had lost some children.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 2:20 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

That is just sick. If you want people to have less children why not give them birth control? Why the hell do right wing ret*ds support having as many children as possible while simultaneously hating the poor?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 2:26 am

marshall wrote:
Why the hell do right wing ret*ds support having as many children as possible ...
Someone's gotta do the consuming of their companies' production.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 2:35 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
marshall wrote:
Why the hell do right wing ret*ds support having as many children as possible ...
Someone's gotta do the consuming of their companies' production.

People with no money can't consume.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 2:38 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

That is extremely hard hearted. Human beings are not birds. I thought conservatives were supposed to put a premium on human life. Just imagine if that was a hard-and-fast rule; chances are, you wouldn't exist because you and everybody else has had ancestors who had lived in abysmal poverty in which they had lost some children.

We do it to the other animals to minimize suffering.