Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 1:42 am

This Inspiring 10-Year-Old Wrote A Poem About Autism And It’s ‘Odd And New’ And Beautiful

Quote:
10-year-old Benjamin Giroux recently sat down at his family’s kitchen table to write a poem. Giroux didn’t realize his assignment, written for National Poetry Month, would earn him acclaim across social media.

Benjamin has Asperger’s syndrome, a form of autism, and his poem, which features 18 lines, directly addressed what it’s like to live in that part of the spectrum.

Giroux lives a life that is filled with a strict routine and a focus on a few very specific interests. In his poem, he also talks about his problems associated with human interactions.

The 5th grader at Cumberland Head Elementary School in Plattsburgh, N.Y., was supposed to read his poem in front of his entire class but was so convinced it would be a huge flop that he refused to attend class that day.

His dad was convinced his son wrote a masterpiece and he posted the piece on Facebook.

Almost immediately, the poem grabbed 38,000 shares and 5,000 comments.

His poem immediately received critical acclaim with commenters offering their “thank yous” and “congratulations” to the young poet.

The National Autism Association ended up re-posting Benjamin’s poem which only helped it reach a bigger audience and more critical acclaim.

“At first, we felt sad and hurt that he feels isolated, alone, misunderstood and odd at school,” his father, Sonny, told The Today Show.

“As the poem went on, we realized that he understands that he’s odd and that so is everyone else in their own way, which is what Ben wants everyone to embrace.”

The poem can only be read by reading the article.

The following comments are harsh and based on the the article. The article could be wrong thus making my interpretation of the situation wrong.

Only Ben knows what he meant and he should have been asked about it. His dad appearently interpreted the poem without asking Ben. IMHO everybody is pretty much wrong about what Ben meant. 10 year olds and especially aspies are going to be direct and not imply hidden meanings. The poem is incredibly sad and not inspiring at all. That all these adults put this kids pain out there to make themselves feel good is beyond disgusting. I just hope since he craves being normal the approval will help him. If it were me I would feel even more different from the world because everbody missinterpreted me yet again.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 4:02 pm

Wow! That was such a great poem! :D

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 15, 2017)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 7:22 pm

Sounds pretty clear-cut (and sadly relatable) to me...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:44 pm

That's a very good poem. That boy has a great future ahead of him. :D