Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Black Spot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2017, 6:38 am

I did a ton of online tests and it appears I'm likely neuro diverse Aspie. Being 56, it's a bit late to find out. As a had a childhood that involved moving schools and countries every couple of years (father built power stations) so I always made friends with the geeks and outcasts, never with the 'in' crowd. It didn't bother me when I left that I wouldn't see them again. I thought it was my upbringing that made me the way I am, but am now questioning that.

After 30 years I went to a school reunion at my last school, where I boarded for a few years, and was amazed to find people liked me. I didn't feel that back then much. I was friends with quite a few people in the year below me, which I understand is quite typical.

I emailed my maternal uncle mentioning the tests. He wasn't surprised as he said he was one, and probably my grandfather and great grandfather. Plus my mother, which took me aback, but looking back, I can see what he meant.

Amazingly, I'm married (26 years) and have three children. I'm an accountant and the main bread winner. Last year I nearly had a melt down and almost walked out at work, which is why I want a formal diagnose – weapons to defend myself. I miss out words when I write and sometimes when I talk. I'm not a team player, preferring to work by myself. Whenever I've been asked to use a junior or get someone else to help, it's turned into a disaster. I've also been pulled up for concentrating on details too much rather than the bigger picture. I find it weird that pull in more new clients than the rest of the department combined, so I must be doing something right. I'll like to be left alone to just get on with my work.

Question now. I'm intending to go to the doctor's tomorrow to ask for a referral to be tested formally and am slightly concerned about the information I need to ask and give. Reasons would be work and I have a few examples. Would that be enough? I don't want to be brushed off, have to ask to see another doctor and have to return another day.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 6:57 am

Hey there. There has to be some kind of start somewhere. Right now my thought is that having just a few examples and references is better than having a whole bunch of references - which might lead to the doctor feeling overpowered and defensive.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 7:04 am

Your GP is only there to refer you really, but it wouldn't hurt to have in mind some of the major points that are making you seek a diagnosis. Different doctors have different experience and knowledge of autism so you don't know how clued in your doctor is going to be until you talk to them so I wouldn't go overboard in preparation.

Black Spot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2017, 7:23 am

Thanks. I always over think things. I'd probably take the kitchen sink if I thought it would help.

raenur
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Aug 2017, 1:17 pm

Black Spot wrote:
Amazingly, I'm married (26 years) and have three children. I'm an accountant and the main bread winner. Last year I nearly had a melt down and almost walked out at work, which is why I want a formal diagnose – weapons to defend myself. I miss out words when I write and sometimes when I talk. I'm not a team player, preferring to work by myself. Whenever I've been asked to use a junior or get someone else to help, it's turned into a disaster. I've also been pulled up for concentrating on details too much rather than the bigger picture. I find it weird that pull in more new clients than the rest of the department combined, so I must be doing something right. I'll like to be left alone to just get on with my work.

Interesting what you've said there. I think what it reveals is that big picture thinking in some jobs is overrated and you just have to sound like you are thinking something high level. Clearly the bottom line in your company says that what you're doing is fine. There just seems undue pressure to be team oriented when it isn't always relevant. A lot of the stuff we face in organisations is political and I've come to the conclusion that we may as well ignore it and let our genuine skills speak for themselves.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 1:56 pm

raenur wrote:
There just seems undue pressure to be team oriented when it isn't always relevant.
That's because the business theory PhDs and the human resources PhDs have to constantly justify their existence by coming up with new ideas (i.e. randomly recycle old ideas the previous generation gave up on) before people begin questioning why money is being spent on them.
Quote:
A lot of the stuff we face in organisations is political and I've come to the conclusion that we may as well ignore it and let our genuine skills speak for themselves.
Yep.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 2:00 pm

Hello, Black Spot----and, WELCOME!!

What I usually recommend to people, because others here have done this, is getting "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" by Tony Attwood, and writing-down everything that pertains to you, with at least one example----but, you probably don't have time, for that (unless you've already gotten the book); so, I would recommend, going here, and doing the same. Besides as someone else said, your GP probably doesn't need so much information----and, hopefully, you'll have enough time to get Tony's book, and prepare for your psychiatrist's appointment, with that.

Good luck, tomorrow!!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 3:19 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 3:33 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Hello, Black Spot----and, WELCOME!!

What I usually recommend to people, because others here have done this, is getting "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" by Tony Attwood, and writing-down everything that pertains to you, with at least one example----but, you probably don't have time, for that (unless you've already gotten the book); so, I would recommend, going here, and doing the same. Besides as someone else said, your GP probably doesn't need so much information----and, hopefully, you'll have enough time to get Tony's book, and prepare for your psychiatrist's appointment, with that.

Good luck, tomorrow!!

I still love the story about Jack in Attwood's book!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Black Spot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2017, 5:56 am

Been. Doctor was fine and will write to the local mental health clinic. Now I wait, but it's a start.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 5:58 am

Hey there :D A start is good, sure beats a no start!

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2017, 4:13 pm

Black Spot wrote:
I did a ton of online tests and it appears I'm likely neuro diverse Aspie. Being 56, it's a bit late to find out. As a had a childhood that involved moving schools and countries every couple of years (father built power stations) so I always made friends with the geeks and outcasts, never with the 'in' crowd. It didn't bother me when I left that I wouldn't see them again. I thought it was my upbringing that made me the way I am, but am now questioning that.

After 30 years I went to a school reunion at my last school, where I boarded for a few years, and was amazed to find people liked me. I didn't feel that back then much. I was friends with quite a few people in the year below me, which I understand is quite typical.

I emailed my maternal uncle mentioning the tests. He wasn't surprised as he said he was one, and probably my grandfather and great grandfather. Plus my mother, which took me aback, but looking back, I can see what he meant.

Question now. I'm intending to go to the doctor's tomorrow to ask for a referral to be tested formally and am slightly concerned about the information I need to ask and give. Reasons would be work and I have a few examples. Would that be enough? I don't want to be brushed off, have to ask to see another doctor and have to return another day.

If you are going down the NHS route you can expect to have lots of appointments over the next year or two I am afraid unless you are very lucky. I was diagnosed late too, at 54. I have also been married a long time, 27 years and have 3 children. My eldest is a Java programmer, no formal diagnosis but is on the spectrum. The other two are not autistic but have dyslexia and disbraxia

BBC: Radio 4