Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 8:35 am

https://www.bitbarkilleen.com

This is pretty much only one bar I can stand going to and that's mainly because it is a video game bar. There is still a lot of smoking, vaping, and drinking, obviously, but the atmosphere feels so much more welcoming than any of the redneck bars where I live (This place is about 30 or so minutes from me) and the video games make me feel like I have something to do.

I can socialize with the people there easier than I can in redneck bars and even the staff recognize me when I come in. However, I still haven't made any true friends there. Why? Well, there is still a lot of bar banter that goes on and I just can't keep up with it. My conversations also sometimes don't last long no matter how hard I try to make them sound as interesting as I can. The people also don't give me any indication they want to hang out with me. They tend to already have company with them and don't seem to be interested in adding more to it. That's another struggle I have.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 9:08 am

We have a video game bar in my city too called "The Joy Stick" and I have never been and since you mentioned, I am going to try it. :D
Anyway, I can relate, I usually go to a cat cafe because I am obsessed with cats. However, I too have struggled to connect with other passionate cat lovers because I tend to start talking about cat behavior and other details along with giving the name of every cat which causes others to back away. I recently found out that it's better to start with something light such as offering another person a cat toy and start playing with them while talking very lightly about the moment.

So, I would suggest finding a video game buddy and play a video game.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 7:11 pm

I have never heard of a video game bar, what are they like? Do they have games that you can play? Do people talk about different games besides the very mainstream?(Such as CoD, Madden, GTA, etc.)

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 8:19 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
I have never heard of a video game bar, what are they like? Do they have games that you can play? Do people talk about different games besides the very mainstream?(Such as CoD, Madden, GTA, etc.)

I can't speak for all of them since the one I linked is the only one I know but I feel more welcome and accepted there than I would at the local puke drenched dive bar.

They have arcade machines as well as some consoles. I actually played Street Fighter V on their PS4 and got some challenges. The owner does need to download the new characters, though. I've brought Guilty Gear XRD Revelator in there before and it actually caught a lot of people's attentions. I need to get Rev 2 and take it there but my budget is tight at the moment.

One of the staff workers is a fan of CoD but he'll play fighting games as well. I don't care for CoD myself; I got burned out on FPS games a long time ago and the "bro awesome" mentality a lot of its fanbase exudes puts a bad taste in my mouth. I feel the same about Madden and GTA. I don't like "bro games" because they make the gaming culture look bad and they steal the spotlight from better games. Am I the only one who feels this way or are there more?
I can certainly have a conversation about Street Fighter and Final Fantasy as well as others at the Bit Bar while people in the city I live in only care about Mortal Kombat and CoD.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 1:58 pm

Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

I can't speak for all of them since the one I linked is the only one I know but I feel more welcome and accepted there than I would at the local puke drenched dive bar.

They have arcade machines as well as some consoles. I actually played Street Fighter V on their PS4 and got some challenges. The owner does need to download the new characters, though. I've brought Guilty Gear XRD Revelator in there before and it actually caught a lot of people's attentions. I need to get Rev 2 and take it there but my budget is tight at the moment.

One of the staff workers is a fan of CoD but he'll play fighting games as well. I don't care for CoD myself; I got burned out on FPS games a long time ago and the "bro awesome" mentality a lot of its fanbase exudes puts a bad taste in my mouth. I feel the same about Madden and GTA. I don't like "bro games" because they make the gaming culture look bad and they steal the spotlight from better games. Am I the only one who feels this way or are there more?
I can certainly have a conversation about Street Fighter and Final Fantasy as well as others at the Bit Bar while people in the city I live in only care about Mortal Kombat and CoD.

It sounds like a cool place! They have consoles there? That's awesome!

I would try and find one to go to but even if I did, I don't know if I could handle it by myself.
I'm surprised Guilty Gear was even there, I thought the only fighting games you would see there would be street fighter, tekken, mortal kombat, and others like those.

I also lived in a town that was mainly about CoD, and if you didn't play it you were considered a punk(derogatory meaning).
I hated CoD and I was never really a fan of games like mortal kombat(I just can't get use to the way the maneuvering works in that game!)

I would check to see if there is a bar close by but, due to hurricane Harvey it most likely would not be open(or many people wouldn't be there.) So I will have to wait a bit.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 2:18 pm

Do they have smash brothers? Like, the one where 6 players can compete in one match? That would be awesome!

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 10:36 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

I would try and find one to go to but even if I did, I don't know if I could handle it by myself.
I'm surprised Guilty Gear was even there, I thought the only fighting games you would see there would be street fighter, tekken, mortal kombat, and others like those.

I also lived in a town that was mainly about CoD, and if you didn't play it you were considered a punk(derogatory meaning).
I hated CoD and I was never really a fan of games like mortal kombat(I just can't get use to the way the maneuvering works in that game!)

I would check to see if there is a bar close by but, due to hurricane Harvey it most likely would not be open(or many people wouldn't be there.) So I will have to wait a bit.

I actually brought my own copy of Guilty Gear there. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken tend to be the fighting games most people that even know about the genre talk about. Mortal Kombat I realized early on really isn't all that it's cracked up to be since it relies on gimmicks more than anything else while Street Fighter rewards you with skill. Tekken I can respect for the level of skill required to master the characters but it's not my cup of tea when it comes to the genre. The place has a few Neo Geo cabinets as well as a Pandora's Box X that has probably all 2D SNK fighters as well as Capcom ones. The original 90's Samurai Shodown and The King of Fighters are SNK's best.

:roll: That "bro gamer" mentality really makes my blood boil. I don't give a damn if the latest CoD has huge explosions and shiny graphics, the gameplay is recycled and the story is boring. It's also frustrating how when you go into game stores, most of the shelves consist of past used CoD and Madden games as well as crappy licensed games and sports games that were just made for quick bucks.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 10:44 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
Do they have smash brothers? Like, the one where 6 players can compete in one match? That would be awesome!

Unfortunately, it's just Melee they have there.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 1:38 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
We have a video game bar in my city too called "The Joy Stick" and I have never been and since you mentioned, I am going to try it. :D
Anyway, I can relate, I usually go to a cat cafe because I am obsessed with cats. However, I too have struggled to connect with other passionate cat lovers because I tend to start talking about cat behavior and other details along with giving the name of every cat which causes others to back away. I recently found out that it's better to start with something light such as offering another person a cat toy and start playing with them while talking very lightly about the moment.

Did you try it out yet?

I've heard that Austin has a cat cafe but I haven't gone to it.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 3:57 am

I went into a video game bar called the Loading Bar in the UK once. It was a pretty cool place.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 2:50 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:

I went with a friend last Friday. One of the staff workers also said I could download the new characters for Street Fighter V if I am willing to pay for them but that will have to wait until next time and I'd rather do it with the owner being there.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2017, 1:42 pm

Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

I actually brought my own copy of Guilty Gear there. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken tend to be the fighting games most people that even know about the genre talk about. Mortal Kombat I realized early on really isn't all that it's cracked up to be since it relies on gimmicks more than anything else while Street Fighter rewards you with skill. Tekken I can respect for the level of skill required to master the characters but it's not my cup of tea when it comes to the genre. The place has a few Neo Geo cabinets as well as a Pandora's Box X that has probably all 2D SNK fighters as well as Capcom ones. The original 90's Samurai Shodown and The King of Fighters are SNK's best.

:roll: That "bro gamer" mentality really makes my blood boil. I don't give a damn if the latest CoD has huge explosions and shiny graphics, the gameplay is recycled and the story is boring. It's also frustrating how when you go into game stores, most of the shelves consist of past used CoD and Madden games as well as crappy licensed games and sports games that were just made for quick bucks.

I agree with you on the whole bro gamer problem. I've always thought of COD gamers and their clones as being, quite honestly, the dumber side of video gaming. Yes, it is frustrating when you go to GameStop (that's all we have up here pretty much) and the majority of games are either COD, clones of COD, NFL/NBA/NHL or some other sport game, some weird Disney/WB licensed crap, or some weird Sims type knockoff game. The prices of used games alone are ridiculous too; I have a PS3 and those games sometimes cost more used than a lot of the PS2 games I bought new. Funny thing is that those sports games you mentioned drop their value like a rock when they are more than a year old.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 2:10 pm

Marknis wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:

Did you try it out yet?

I've heard that Austin has a cat cafe but I haven't gone to it.

I have not have a chance to go to the "Joystick" as I am back in school finishing up my bachelors for my program after 5 years off.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:15 pm

aikoinazuma wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

I agree with you on the whole bro gamer problem. I've always thought of COD gamers and their clones as being, quite honestly, the dumber side of video gaming. Yes, it is frustrating when you go to GameStop (that's all we have up here pretty much) and the majority of games are either COD, clones of COD, NFL/NBA/NHL or some other sport game, some weird Disney/WB licensed crap, or some weird Sims type knockoff game. The prices of used games alone are ridiculous too; I have a PS3 and those games sometimes cost more used than a lot of the PS2 games I bought new. Funny thing is that those sports games you mentioned drop their value like a rock when they are more than a year old.

I meant to reply to this. Sorry it took a while.

Am I on to something here? It feels like true video gaming culture is relatively underground; mainstream gaming culture is just a cheap representation of the true culture and caters to those with short attention spans as well as shallow tastes, particularly the "bro" gamers. They are not true gamers, they just want to follow the mainstream because they want to keep up with the "in crowd" and are brainwashed into thinking if something's not "badass", it "f*****g sucks balls". :roll:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 2:59 am

I played Call of Duty out of curiosity and every single game just seems like the same thing. I got so bored I didn't beat any of them.

I feel like some people think "you aren't a real gamer because you don't play Call of Duty and Battlefield."

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 3:39 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I played Call of Duty out of curiosity and every single game just seems like the same thing. I got so bored I didn't beat any of them.

I feel like some people think "you aren't a real gamer because you don't play Call of Duty and Battlefield."

They just have so many FPS cliches that you quickly realize you aren't missing anything and could be playing something better. I tried one once (I may have played one once before with my younger brother and cousin for the heck of it) and it reminded me why I grew out of the genre: Mechanical stock characters, uninspired plots, bleak music, sterile visuals, and stuff blowing up randomly like in modern action movies.

For some reason, they think that's all there is to gaming. I guess it's entertwined with our nation's macho culture and gender expectations.