What is your favorite MS DOS games?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 5:25 am

Chronos wrote:
Solar Winds, but it's time intensive. If it takes 2 hours for your ship to get somewhere, it actually takes two hours. There's a sequel which was not widely distributed and is difficult to find.

I remember that game fondly, though I only ever played the first episode which was released as shareware. Back in those days it was typical of game developers to release a first 'episode' as shareware, which often had quite a lot of content.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 7:21 am

wariodude128 wrote:
Also, I play the game Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord on Twitter under the name @WizardryPony .

I've been playing the Game Boy Color port of that on and off for a while now...I finally managed to defeat Werdna, but the "bonus dungeon" was kicking my butt. (the Treasury?)

It's not super faithful to the original game(s) (the maps are a little smaller, and dungeons 5-8 are only unlocked after you defeat Werdna), but it is very conveniently portable.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2017, 9:42 pm

Misery wrote:
And then ZZT and Megazeux were freaking legendary as far as I was concerned. I must have spent a bazillion hours with both of them. They were the earliest type of "Mario Maker" or "LittleBigPlanet" games that I know of. I still remember, when travelling, playing (or trying to play) ZZT on this ridiculously ancient "laptop" that had a monochrome LCD screen (so absolutely everything was a sort of blueish color on a clear background), and despite it being a rather simple ASCII game, that machine could barely handle it. Ah, how technology has changed since then. I wonder whatever happened to that thing.

Oh wow, a fellow ZZT/MZX fan!

I loved ZZT, and spent countless hours tinkering around with the level editor. It was pretty impressive what people were able to do with the limited ASCII graphics. Alexis Janson is still kind of a hero of mine.

I also played a lot of Rogue and Nethack back in the day. And Liero!

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 4:51 am

It would be Sim City 2000 if i had not lost it, it was the last MSDos game i played that i really enjoyed.

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2017, 10:29 pm

If you like humorous point and click adventure games, I'd suggest the Quest for Glory series. They're very old, with the first version of the game coming out in I think 1987. The first two games are text-based, but both have been remade to have a point and click interface so that they'd match all of the other games in the series.

Those games are absolutely riddled with all kinds of nerdy references, and you get awesomely sarcastic messages if your character dies in the game. The more stupid the method of death, the funnier the text. You can also build up your character's stats, choose one of three different character classes for different ways to beat some of the games, AND import your dude to future games and unlock a fourth class (Paladin) through that method.

One thing to know, though: Quest for Glory 4 is by far the best of the five games. It has some extremely high quality voice acting: the narrator is John Rhys-Davies and this game is Jennifer Hale's very first role in a video game. There's also a much darker tone to it than any of the others, but the humor's still there. Basically, it's amazing and wonderful.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Oct 2017, 8:28 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
- One Must Fall 2097
- Syndicate
- Dune II
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Blood
- Hexen
- Warcraft II
- Llamatron 2112
- Carmageddon
- Descent II
- Dungeon Keeper
- Raptor: Call of the Shadows
- Turrican II
- Falcon 3.0
- Traffic Department 2192

Just some of my faves that haven't been mentioned yet. ;)

You forgot Doom 2! BLASPHEMY! Also Carmageddon 2 is better. Hehe!

And I can't believe you know about OMF:2097. That's one of my absolute favorites.

Edit: Heretic. That's a good one. And how could you forget WOLFENSTEIN 3D?!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 8:08 am

Richardf269 wrote:
Also Carmageddon 2 is better. Hehe!

I could never get into the second game, the graphics were a lot uglier. They tried to turn pedestrians into 3D models, and they just look like low-poly blobs that explode into smaller, bleeding blobs. And 3D acceleration just made all the low-res textures look smudgy like an N64 game =)

I might give it another shot sometime, though, I'm pretty sure I bought it on GoG a while back. The first game does start to get a bit tedious after a while, and I wonder if the second game did anything to fix that.

Moronerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2017, 9:34 am

Master of magic
sword of the samurai
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Darklands

All great classics that have gameplay to stand the test of time.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2017, 3:28 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Richardf269 wrote:
Also Carmageddon 2 is better. Hehe!

I could never get into the second game, the graphics were a lot uglier. They tried to turn pedestrians into 3D models, and they just look like low-poly blobs that explode into smaller, bleeding blobs. And 3D acceleration just made all the low-res textures look smudgy like an N64 game =)

I might give it another shot sometime, though, I'm pretty sure I bought it on GoG a while back. The first game does start to get a bit tedious after a while, and I wonder if the second game did anything to fix that.

LoL Most games of that era were the same, my friend. NeverWinter Nights pretty much did almost the same thing, really, and I still enjoyed it.

Almost
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2017, 1:40 am

Old pixely MS DOS games really spark my nostalgia, especially platformers. Something really cozy about them.
As a kid I used to play this game called Jetpack, and Jill of the Jungle.
And of course, Doom is a classic as someone else above mentioned.

I wouldn't mind revisiting some of those games and some ones I haven't played as well. I love me some retro games

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 8:30 am

Richardf269 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
- One Must Fall 2097
- Syndicate
- Dune II
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Blood
- Hexen
- Warcraft II
- Llamatron 2112
- Carmageddon
- Descent II
- Dungeon Keeper
- Turrican II
- Falcon 3.0

And I can't believe you know about OMF:2097. That's one of my absolute favorites.

I tried to list games that weren't mentioned yet. Doom/Doom II is a given, and as for Wolf3D, it's got historical significance but not a lot that makes me want to go back and play it.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2017, 11:11 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Richardf269 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
- One Must Fall 2097
- Syndicate
- Dune II
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Blood
- Hexen
- Warcraft II
- Llamatron 2112
- Carmageddon
- Descent II
- Dungeon Keeper
- Turrican II
- Falcon 3.0

I tried to list games that weren't mentioned yet. Doom/Doom II is a given, and as for Wolf3D, it's got historical significance but not a lot that makes me want to go back and play it.

Historical significance? Whats that got to deal with anything? Doom is a space/military/si-fi/fantasy FPS that has NO historical value at all.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2017, 9:20 am

Richardf269 wrote:
Doom ... has NO historical value at all.

Hmm, are you sure about that?

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Nov 2017, 2:20 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Richardf269 wrote:
Doom ... has NO historical value at all.

Hmm, are you sure about that?

It's just about killing demons with a lone Marine.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 9:07 am

Richardf269 wrote:

Do you mean that it's not based on historical events?

Because DOOM had a huge historical impact on the gaming and technology industry, much more than Wolf did, which was basically just the Catacombs 3D engine ugraded to 256 colors...but nobody remembers that game, so Wolf3D gets all the fame =)

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2017, 8:18 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Richardf269 wrote:

Do you mean that it's not based on historical events?

Because DOOM had a huge historical impact on the gaming and technology industry, much more than Wolf did, which was basically just the Catacombs 3D engine ugraded to 256 colors...but nobody remembers that game, so Wolf3D gets all the fame =)

...That wasn't even close to what I was referring to. I was talking about the games themselves.