Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 5:19 am

John Elder Robinson:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/my ... in-college

Are any members here enrolled at William and Mary?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 2:45 pm

B19 wrote:
John Elder Robinson:

Going off topic this article is definitely a pro ND movement article.
Quote:
As a group, autistic people are less likely to complete college than typical peers. Once out of school, autistic adults are less likely to be employed, and if employed, studies suggest their skills are often underutilized. Rates of depression, anxiety, and suicide remain markedly higher than the general population throughout adulthood.

So many ND opponents insist the ND movement is about thinking autism is a magical gift. Does this quote sound like Mr. Robison one of the movements leading proponents thinks that way?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 3:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
B19 wrote:
John Elder Robinson:

Going off topic this article is definitely a pro ND movement article.
Quote:
As a group, autistic people are less likely to complete college than typical peers. Once out of school, autistic adults are less likely to be employed, and if employed, studies suggest their skills are often underutilized. Rates of depression, anxiety, and suicide remain markedly higher than the general population throughout adulthood.

So many ND opponents insist the ND movement is about thinking autism is a magical gift. Does this quote sound like Mr. Robison one of the movements leading proponents thinks that way?

From a rhetorical aspect those opponents will grasp on 'suggest their skills are often underutilized' and make the claim he's arguing for a sort of special status for autistic workers. That's not what he said, that's not what he meant, but that's what the counter argument would most likely be. That's the 'serious' argument, there will of course be the troll-nazi argument that we're inferior and the depression, anxiety, and resulting suicide are evolution's way of weeding us out of the gene pool. That's just in the quote you provided. In the article his reliance on colleges to implement social change will be lumped in with the SJW movement, and the claim of 'social engineering'. Also he made the point that 'our differences make us exceptional even though some aspects of autism are disabling', opponents will skip the deficits argument and claim the word exceptional implies he views autism as superior.

Reading comprehension, good faith debates, and nuance died sometime around the turn of the century, I blame the internet.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 4:00 pm

I always value your comments Aristophanes. Your analysis of the possible anti responses seems percipient to me.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 4:21 pm

Another ND initiative plan - suggestions for the business environment

https://hbr.org/2017/05/neurodiversity- ... -advantage

I think where I most differ with anti-neurodiversionists is that they see often things as static - at worst they are arguing we are broken people can't be fixed. Conversely I am interested in intitiatives that could enhance the possibilities of maximising ASD talents and strengths. I find it hard to understand why anyone on the spectrum would not want this to occur, if not for themselves (that's their choice) at least for others. Posts that seem to seek to infect AS people with the virus of hopelessness are dangerous IMO; they may also contribute to maintaining the lamentably high rate of suicide in our population. Everyone needs hope - whether on the spectrum or not. I can understand that some people have been embittered, and need to discuss that. But the solution to that is healing, and being supported through healing, and that's what WP can so greatly contribute to.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 4:58 pm

@ASPartOfMe: I should clarify my post, I understand you were asking a rhetorical question. I didn't post to challenge your assertion or even disagree with it. I posted because there are arguments that will arise and I'm of the opinion it's best to be prepared, and that means finding what the opposition will use in your statements (or Robinson's in this case). Obviously the troll-nazi argument you can ignore because it's not mainstream enough to be accepted (or it was up until a month ago, but recent events have me concerned), but the 'special status' argument needs confronted if it pops up because that could gain mainstream traction. If it were me that were confronted with that argument I would provide a clarification that Robinson did not make in his piece, but he did allude to: if autistic talents are harnessed inside the workforce the entire workforce is more productive, everyone is better off because of that, and all it takes is a few minor alterations.

@B19
Thank you for the kind words, I don't do positive reinforcement well though, lol. I'm more of a hit me in the face and let's duke it out type, but I do understand the sentiment so thank you. I'm also a fan of your research, what ASPartOfMe doesn't dig up you seem to find, and your work bringing awareness to females on the spectrum has been sorely needed for a long time-- I'm glad you're here digging it up (as well as your main job of swatting away spam :lol: ).

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 5:51 pm

LoL some seem to construe my role as the wicked witch of the modsquad :) One opined (in reference to me) "she hates religion" though it's wrong actually. It's religiosity and fundamentalism I dislike, though it takes all sorts...