Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

AutumnWind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Aug 2017, 1:02 pm

When I was in school I had a lot of things that was happening outside of school that was interfering with how I perceived and did my work it was really difficult So eventually I dropped out. The teachers also treated me horribly . I eventually went back to try to get my GED and where I live is very small so we don't have very many education systems to go to that give G.E.D's and sadly I wrote down my frustrations and my problems that I showed it to the teacher it was completely disregarded . I don't know what to do and I feel really stuck because I want to go back to school but I'm not getting the accommodations needed even though I have everything down on paperwork. Any suggestions on what I do? And I can't go anywhere else because there is nowhere else to go where I live.

i also just found out on my paper work i just got sown after years that i had ADD and my mother never told me
because she didn't believe what the psychologist said but she believed everything else my mother likes to pick and choose what she does and doesn't want to hear. It really hurt finding out i lived my life struggling to focus thinking i'm dumb even with ASD knowledge and then realizing the reason why is because also had ADD that she didn't want to tell anyone about. I don't know how to feel i think i may be upset.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 11:56 am

You might want to consider having an advocate either talking to the school people with you, or all on their own. And this is not a compromise move, rather a power move. Just like rich people will have an accountant to argue with a tax authority. Your advocate could be a member of your family, even like an Aunt, Uncle, or sibling, or could be someone with an Aspergers-Autism rights group, or ADD rights group, or maybe even someone like a former sports coach or an older, respected member of the community.

The school probably has the legal obligation to make reasonable accommodations for you or any other student who wishes to pursue their GED. There's a way of politely and reasonably reminding them of this. I'm not sure I'm good at that. But a good advocate might be.

I agree your mother should have told you about the ADD diagnosis, probably at the very beginning in age appropriate language.