Page 7 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm

SH90 wrote:
Have a few trees pulled out the ground by their roots, few shingles blown off the roof. Still without power, had a few looters a few blocks down.

*Being without power for weeks and potential looters are the worse part after the storm... Low life's aways trying to steal from someone who's worked hard for their s**t, really terrible people will take it from someone when their down.

How are you "juicin'" your computer?

If you don't mind my asking..... In what city/town, do you reside?

SH90 wrote:
Typical Florida Huricane meal, takeout by candel light.

You shoulda stocked-up on MREs:

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-1 ... house+food

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:32 pm

They should be allowed to return to their own property but with the understanding that they will be totally on their own until things have returned to normal.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:36 pm

How is it in places like North and South Carolina--and Georgia?

This was quite a weird storm! 99 MPH gusts in Miami, even though the actual storm veered way away from Miami.

My brother's family lives just south of Jacksonville. They just might be very fortunate that they lived closer to the beach. Inland locations got it worse (weirdly) than the beach areas.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:48 pm

Raptor wrote:
They should be allowed to return to their own property but with the understanding that they will be totally on their own until things have returned to normal.

Agreed, and yet some people who knew those were the terms beforehand are now calling for help long before help has again become available. So, I do understand the nightmare of trying to decide who can return without becoming a burden and who cannot...but the fact of that being tough to discern does not justify denying constitutional "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (property ownership and/or access)" across the board.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This was quite a weird storm! 99 MPH gusts in Miami, even though the actual storm veered way away from Miami.

The eye wall was wide on the north and east side of the storm and there were huge feeder bands coming in off the ocean on the east side of the state...and I think that -- the feeder bands pushing water toward the coast -- is why Jacksonville experienced so much flooding.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:58 pm

Careful now, you know that "property rights" is a dog whistle for discrimination, segregation, and defending the institution of slavery.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 8:07 pm

Yeah....I saw those "feeder bands"--amazing!

Irma had some unusual characteristics which will be studied for years on end.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 8:11 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
BREAKING NEWS: Hurricane Irma wasn't caused but carbon-based emissions. It was actually caused by ... TEH HOMOZ!

That's funny. I kinda assumed that American conservatives had grown out of the "Homos are trying to bite our butts and turn us gay!" mentality. I guess I was wrong.

Well this is Anne Coulter could you expect anything more from her...shes a narcissistic lunatic....with way too much eye-shadow and facecake to, she could put on all the make-up in the world and still be just as ugly of a person.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 8:15 pm

Raptor wrote:
Careful now, you know that "property rights" is a dog whistle for discrimination, segregation, and defending the institution of slavery.

I cannot claim to be up-to-speed on all of that, but my wife and I lived in the Keys for most of the '80s and what we suspect might be on the horizon now is a forced evacuation of virtually everyone. There are many people (such as likely most of the ones presently sheltered in a school on Sugarloaf Key) who are *not* able to survive essentially "on their own", and nobody is going to just let them die there. The National Guard is presently clearing the road (US1) and there is an aircraft carrier with 30 helicopters waiting nearby...and even someone who is not a conspiracy nut (such as I admit) can see what just might be coming.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 8:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Irma had some unusual characteristics which will be studied for years on end.

Definitely, and CNN meteorologist Chad Myers had begun noticing some atypical things from its very beginning. Overall, his studio coverage was excellent as he explained things all along the way.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 8:28 pm

I've been as far down as Islamorada and there's no way I'd ride out a major hurricane down there, but to each his own including the risks.
I can see it coming too, forced evacuations that is, and in a legal and moral sense it's a s**t sandwich no matter how you slice it.

The dog whistle comment was sarcasm...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 8:54 pm

CNN, to me, had (by far) the best Hurricane Irma coverage.

Whatever happened to Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 8:55 pm

Raptor wrote:
I've been as far down as Islamorada and there's no way I'd ride out a major hurricane down there, but to each his own including the risks.
I can see it coming too, forced evacuations that is, and in a legal and moral sense it's a s**t sandwich no matter how you slice it.

The dog whistle comment was sarcasm...

Cool on the dog whistle comment!

My wife and I lived in the lower Keys ('82 through '89) and spent much of our last year moored (not at a dock) on a houseboat in Newfound Harbor at Big Pine Key (mile marker 30). Overall, we were in the Keys long enough to be considered "fresh-water Conchs"...but the true "Conch" (meaning "hard-shell") is someone who is born in the Keys and remains there for his or her lifetime. Behind all of that is a culture of people who were there before any kind of highway existed, and some of the people now wanting to return from the highly-regretted evacuation are of that caliber. While we were there, it was not at all unusual to go for one or more days at a time without power since the lower Keys were being powered by some old Navy-surplus generators...and my wife and I used to get a kick out of watching TV on our boat while the islands were in the dark. It was during those '80s, however, when commercial development, tourism and the accompanying mindset in the political spectrum essentially began "taking over" in the Keys...and now the old ways are quite possibly headed for the history books.

edit: Maybe check here once in a while...

Quote:
Infrastructure assessment teams are to begin deploying Monday to better understand the situation, aid our island community and its residents...

fla-keys.com

Last edited by leejosepho on 11 Sep 2017, 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 9:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
CNN, to me, had (by far) the best Hurricane Irma coverage.

Whatever happened to Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel?

Agreed on the CNN coverage, and it looks like Jim Cantore might now be freelance or something...

Quote:
After NBC Universal's acquisition of The Weather Channel in 2008, Cantore has occasionally filled in for Al Roker on The Today Show. He was also in London hosting weather segments for NBC during the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Jim Cantore - Wikipedia

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 12:25 am

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 6:27 am

Quote:
Monroe County would reopen road access on Tuesday morning at 7 a.m. EDT (1100 GMT) for residents and business owners from Key Largo, the main island at the upper end of the chain, as well as the towns of Tavernier and Islamorada farther to the south, fire officials said.

No timetable for reopening the remainder of the Keys was given.

Florida Keys...partially re-open...

It looks like some initial access to the Florida Keys will be allowed today, and there is also this:

Keys Bridges Deemed ‘Safe For Travel’ To MM 16...

That article says power to Marathon (mile marker 50) could be restored very soon, and water all the way to Key West (mile marker 0) is being turned on intermittently.

edit: Here is a direct source for Florida Keys updates: MonroeCounty BOCC - Facebook