Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:22 am

0regonGuy wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Raptor wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
A crane has collapsed in Miami

If it's the type of crane I'm thinking of (there a few types) they should have lowered the boom and secured it...

These are the cranes that stand at the top of high-rise construction projects and there was not enough time to take them down...and especially without closing streets needed all around them for evacuation. The booms are free to swing in the wind like weather vanes, and they are supposed to be able to stand hurricane-force winds.

Correct, except, they are not designed to withstand hurricane force winds. Very few things are designed to withstand hurricane force winds.

I could certainly be wrong there, and maybe the reporter I had heard say they were designed to withstand 135mph winds had been misinformed. In any case, there was not possibly enough time to take them all down even if they had closed the streets. That same reporter said it would have taken two weeks to do that, and I assume he was talking about a single crane.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:45 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

SEE NO GLOBAL WARMING
HEAR NO GLOBAL WARMING
SPEAK NO GLOBAL WARMING

Kudos to all of them for leaving that aside. I spent the entire day watching CNN's coverage, and the emphasis throughout was only upon safety. If I heard correctly, FEMA (or possibly the National Hurricane Center) had asked them to make everyone aware that the storm surge following the winds were the most dangerous, and that is what they did.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 10:56 am

Have a few trees pulled out the ground by their roots, few shingles blown off the roof. Still without power, had a few looters a few blocks down.

*Being without power for weeks and potential looters are the worse part after the storm... Low life's aways trying to steal from someone who's worked hard for their s**t, really terrible people will take it from someone when their down.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 12:16 pm

Hurricane Irma caused sizable damage in Naples, drone footage shows

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 1:53 pm

Typical Florida Huricane meal, takeout by candel light.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 2:15 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Hurricane Irma wasn't caused but carbon-based emissions. It was actually caused by ... TEH HOMOZ!

That's funny. I kinda assumed that American conservatives had grown out of the "Homos are trying to bite our butts and turn us gay!" mentality. I guess I was wrong.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 2:36 pm

The Florida Keys are getting very little news coverage at the moment because access has been closed to anyone other than the National Guard and such. There is no power or communication, pressurized water supply from the mainland is intermittent and municipal sewage systems are non-functional. Overall, and with the area between Key West (mile marker 0) and Marathon Key (mile marker 50) having been hit the hardest, I would guess the per-capita damage in those so-called "Lower Keys" will ultimately prove to be Florida's greatest.

County Closes access To Florida Keys

edit: I just saw a note saying the marker at the Southernmost Point in Key West has received some cosmetic damage, but I would suspect "Fred the Shed" standing nearby is still just fine! ;)

Key West 'Southernmost Point' Buoy Reportedly Damaged by Hurricane Irma

Thousands Watch “Fred the Shed”...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 2:58 pm

Irma: Record flooding hits Jacksonville as Georgia braces for epic storm surge

Quote:
Irma's rampage across Florida broke records in Jacksonville before heading north to torment Georgia and beyond.
Jacksonville, the largest city geographically in the country, is grappling with a record storm surge and immense flooding. The city's Memorial Park has turned into an unrecognizable lake.

"We have very serious, significant river flooding along the banks of the St. Johns River. It's bad now, it's going to continue to get worse," meteorologist Angie Enyedi said Monday. "We've already surpassed historic levels, the levels will continue to rise."
The storm was still hurling violent winds Monday, pummeling cities in northeast Florida that had not expected to feel its full wrath.

Emergency workers in Daytona Beach rescued 25 people with a high-water truck after they were suddenly caught in an onslaught of wind and rain.
Another 125 emergency rescues were made in less than an hour Monday in Orange County, home to Orlando -- an inland city to which many coastal residents had evacuated before the hurricane.
Now the entire Georgia coast is under a storm surge warning as Irma continues its destructive march north.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 6:51 pm

There are people in the Florida Keys who now wish they had evacuated -- see the map of "Calls for rescue on social media" on the second link below -- but there are other, long-term residents who would have been fine in their own homes and now they are not being allowed to return even though some of them know for a fact their homes and provisions are fine and they can safely get to them. The overall issues are many, but when does/should any governmental employee of the people (such as a mayor or whatever) be able to deny any citizen access to his or her own property?

Tempers flared Monday at the closed entrance to the Florida Keys...

Florida Keys Residents Demand To Get Back Home...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:05 pm

leejosepho wrote:
...but when does/should any governmental employee of the people (such as a mayor or whatever) be able to deny any citizen access to his or her own property?
Try not paying your taxes on it and see if it is your own property or if you are merely renting it from the government.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:08 pm

SH90 wrote:
Have a few trees pulled out the ground by their roots, few shingles blown off the roof. Still without power, had a few looters a few blocks down.

*Being without power for weeks and potential looters are the worse part after the storm... Low life's aways trying to steal from someone who's worked hard for their s**t, really terrible people will take it from someone when their down.

I could see looting supplies/food/water maybe dry shoes/socks in an emergency situation, if there aren't emergency services/organizations around to help you 'right now' as desperate times can call for desperate measures...or at least I would be more understanding of that. But looting a bunch of unnecessary goods or stealing from individuals who are down and out really is low-life behavior.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:09 pm

leejosepho wrote:
There are people in the Florida Keys who now wish they had evacuated -- see the map of "Calls for rescue on social media" on the second link below -- but there are other, long-term residents who would have been fine in their own homes and now they are not being allowed to return even though some of them know for a fact their homes and provisions are fine and they can safely get to them. The overall issues are many, but when does/should any governmental employee of the people (such as a mayor or whatever) be able to deny any citizen access to his or her own property?

And how do they know that 'for a fact'? tons of destruction, no power, no water, no flushing toilets, flooding and all kinds of problems...So where are these people getting that their homes are safe to return to? Yeah it sucks...but you don't always get your way in these kind of natural disasters. Also people demanding crap and making a scene just makes it harder for emergency and national disaster services to do their job.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:14 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
...but when does/should any governmental employee of the people (such as a mayor or whatever) be able to deny any citizen access to his or her own property?

Try not paying your taxes on it and see if it is your own property or if you are merely renting it from the government.

Yes, I understand all of that, and I also understand the bridges between the islands need to be inspected...but one of the residents being refused at the roadblock has spoken with a Sheriff's Deputy who is his neighbor across the street and there is absolutely no legitimate reason for not allowing him to return to his own property only 20 miles away.

Edit: The current situation is much different, but here is how the government in the Keys got publicity leading to the removal of a Federal roadblock many years ago...
Conch Republic

Last edited by leejosepho on 11 Sep 2017, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:27 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

And how do they know that 'for a fact'?

Not all of them do, of course, but one has spoken with his Sheriff's Deputy neighbor across the street and some others have talked with their own neighbors who had not evacuated...and I am not in any way suggesting everyone should be allowed access.

Last edited by leejosepho on 11 Sep 2017, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2017, 7:28 pm

SH90 wrote:

How are you "juicin'" your computer?

If you don't mind my asking..... In what city/town, do you reside?

SH90 wrote:
Typical Florida Huricane meal, takeout by candel light.

You shoulda stocked-up on MREs:

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-1 ... house+food