Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 10:11 am

When i heard this for first time it's sound astonishing similar to AS/ADHD :D

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2017, 12:28 pm

Yeah, I heard of it, good grief what a load of utterly useless hippie nonsense.

(Sorry, I had to edit myself. I have a really low tolerance to ridiculous new age rubbish)

BBC: Radio 4

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 1:30 pm

Combination of Autism Supremacy and special snowflakiness.
Wikipedia

Quote:
Indigo children, according to a pseudoscientific New Age concept, are children who are believed to possess special, unusual, and sometimes supernatural traits or abilities. They are sometimes also referred to as crystal children or star children.

Although no scientific studies give credibility to the existence of indigo children or their traits, the phenomenon appeals to some parents whose children have been diagnosed with learning disabilities and to parents seeking to believe that their children are special. Critics view this as a way for parents to avoid considering pediatric treatment or a psychiatric diagnosis.

Retired professor of philosophy and skeptic Robert Todd Carroll notes that many of the commentators on the indigo phenomenon are of varying qualifications and expertise, and parents may prefer labeling their child an indigo as an alternative to a diagnosis that implies poor parenting, narcissistic parenting, damage,or mental illness.This is a belief echoed by academic psychologists. Some mental health experts are concerned that labeling a disruptive child an "indigo" may delay proper diagnosis and treatment that could help the child or look into the parenting style that may be causing the behavior.Others have stated that many of the traits of indigo children could be more prosaically interpreted as simple unruliness and alertness.

Crystal children, a concept related to indigo children, has been linked by autism researcher Mitzi Waltz to the autistic spectrum. Proponents recategorize autistic symptoms as telepathic powers, and attempt to "‍[reconceptualize] the autistic traits associated with them as part of a positive identity". Waltz states that there may be inherent dangers to these beliefs, leading parents to deny the existence of impairments, avoid proven treatments and spend considerable money on unhelpful interventions. Waltz states that "Parents may also transmit belief systems to the child that are self-aggrandizing, confusing, or potentially frightening".

The concept of indigo children has been criticized for being less about children and their needs, and more about the profits to be made by self-styled experts in book and video sales as well as lucrative counseling sessions, summer camps, conferences and speaking engagements.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2017, 1:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Combination of Autism Supremacy and special snowflakiness.
Wikipedia
Quote:
Indigo children, according to a pseudoscientific New Age concept, are children who are believed to possess special, unusual, and sometimes supernatural traits or abilities. They are sometimes also referred to as crystal children or star children.

Although no scientific studies give credibility to the existence of indigo children or their traits, the phenomenon appeals to some parents whose children have been diagnosed with learning disabilities and to parents seeking to believe that their children are special. Critics view this as a way for parents to avoid considering pediatric treatment or a psychiatric diagnosis.

Retired professor of philosophy and skeptic Robert Todd Carroll notes that many of the commentators on the indigo phenomenon are of varying qualifications and expertise, and parents may prefer labeling their child an indigo as an alternative to a diagnosis that implies poor parenting, narcissistic parenting, damage,or mental illness.This is a belief echoed by academic psychologists. Some mental health experts are concerned that labeling a disruptive child an "indigo" may delay proper diagnosis and treatment that could help the child or look into the parenting style that may be causing the behavior.Others have stated that many of the traits of indigo children could be more prosaically interpreted as simple unruliness and alertness.

Crystal children, a concept related to indigo children, has been linked by autism researcher Mitzi Waltz to the autistic spectrum. Proponents recategorize autistic symptoms as telepathic powers, and attempt to "‍[reconceptualize] the autistic traits associated with them as part of a positive identity". Waltz states that there may be inherent dangers to these beliefs, leading parents to deny the existence of impairments, avoid proven treatments and spend considerable money on unhelpful interventions. Waltz states that "Parents may also transmit belief systems to the child that are self-aggrandizing, confusing, or potentially frightening".

The concept of indigo children has been criticized for being less about children and their needs, and more about the profits to be made by self-styled experts in book and video sales as well as lucrative counseling sessions, summer camps, conferences and speaking engagements.

That sound about right, you have to laugh

BBC: Radio 4

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 2:14 pm

Yeah "Indigo Children" was a thing in the early 2000s. In my job we count inventory in stores. Remember seeing dozens of book titles with "Indigo Child"( how to raise your indigo child, et al)fly by my eyes while trying to make the quota of scanning a 1000 books an hour while we inventoried Barnes and Noble. First time I had ever heard of the concept of "Indigo Child". They were some kind of special kid being born in this era. But it wasn't until a few years later that folks began to associate it with the autism spectrum. Or maybe they were always supposed to have the characteristic that some folks recognize as being ADHD, or autistic. I dunno.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 2:16 pm

It's a nice fluffy alternate theory to having autism and that being the reason you're 'different' I suppose.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 8:18 pm

Yep, quite familiar with it.

I tend toward the mystic and crunchy. Big fan of the idea that "normal" is not all that is valuable.

Notwithstanding-- oh dear God, gag me with a spoon.

That's an American idiom that means I think that, while some of the intentions may be good and even beneficial, the whole idea is garbage.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 5:48 am

Voxish wrote:
Yeah, I heard of it, good grief what a load of utterly useless hippie nonsense.

(Sorry, I had to edit myself. I have a really low tolerance to ridiculous new age rubbish)

Same as me :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 6:15 am

Flakiness combined with "snowfalkiness". :lol:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 6:36 am

Oh, come on, everybody knows indigo children are totally legit, all you have to do is Google them and you will find the first 2 hits are always from MIT and the Mayo Clinic ...
Oh ...
Wait ...
Tell ya what, just forget about science; keep believing, that's the ticket.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 9:04 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
When i heard this for first time it's sound astonishing similar to AS/ADHD :D

Yes it was made up by people who wanted to think their autistic children were super duper special.

There's a colour for adhd kids too. Can't remember what it is.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 1:29 pm

I agree. It's a flaky, New Age way of putting a good spin on something that isn't good. Being different caused me a lot of pain during my lifetime and I'm frustrated with people who try to put a good face on it. It seems like so much of pop culture tends either toward the hideous or the sappy.

I agree, BuyerBeware. Great harm has been done with these so-called good intentions. There is also a line from Gilbert and Sullivan that says, "If everybody's somebody, than nobody's anybody." We're all great or we're all nuts, with nothing in between. That's insanity.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 4:55 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I agree. It's a flaky, New Age way of putting a good spin on something that isn't good. Being different caused me a lot of pain during my lifetime and I'm frustrated with people who try to put a good face on it. It seems like so much of pop culture tends either toward the hideous or the sappy.

I agree, BuyerBeware. Great harm has been done with these so-called good intentions. There is also a line from Gilbert and Sullivan that says, "If everybody's somebody, than nobody's anybody." We're all great or we're all nuts, with nothing in between. That's insanity.

I do not know because I used to watch an interesting program like an American couple with an autistic son went to Mongolia and there a local shaman who was also most likely to have an asperger, explained to them that in Mongoli children either autism or ADHD are not treated as social outcasts but as exceptional units, and they are prepared to play the role of shamans and other very important tribal functions :mrgreen:

My one doctor was Mongolian, although she worked mostly her career in Soviet Union/Russia :mrgreen: and come to Poland in middle of 90's.

She was the hospital director in Leningrad, now St Petersburg, Russia.
She was a well-educated Western medical doctor, but she also used traditional Chinese medics.
At that time, I had a pretty serious neurological problems after concussion, which experienced an accident when I was playing with my older cousin, thanks to herbs (disgusting taste :( ) doctor cured of this disease, but she noticed something else that I have Asperger's, Although she did not use this term, she used only allegories.